Is this a wine?

More pointedly, is this a wine you would put in your mouth?

If so, let me know what you think, because it gets a big no-no-no from me

mix with ice and rum?

The name is challenging. Evocative of something you might be tested for… But in defense of what might be great, I know next to nothing about this new-ish natural wine movement and it may well be completely amazing.

Why not? Hazy IPAs are all the rage. I’d be careful about keeping it cool before opening, though. Cool, as in refrigerated.

First read that as “colostrum”. No thanks.

I’m pretty sure it’s in the early stages of Methode Champenoise? I think they just forgot to rack it?

I had to look it up. Means “goblin”.

I looked up cellartracker notes too. As expected, it is characterized as “explosive”. At $26 it is an easy pass, even if I was curious.

There you go, reading the NYT again. [wink.gif]

I would certainly give this a try, based on Eric’s rec and Brix’s general reputation. I have had some excellent Pet-Nats that were at least as cloudy as this one. I’ve had some nasty Pet-Nats as well, but cloudiness and a crown cap aren’t particularly strong indicators of quality one way or the other.

It seems to be a Petillante, a sparkling wine with quite low pressure … from Riesling … could be good or bad … I would certainly taste or at least smell it, but only for free …

Guess this is a different vineyard than Kick Ranch?

I had a similar styled wine at Les Enfants du Marche in Paris with Michel Abood and I thought it was great. Sent him a ping with a link to this thread, as he can talk for days about the style.
62815845-D39A-4F97-8A4F-0061DC90C432.jpeg

I’m not hip(ster) enough to be on the Pet Nat bandwagon but I’d certainly try it. I recently really enjoyed Birichino’s “Petulant Naturel”.

Disclaimer= we sell this in NY/NJ

It’s a Pet’nat of Riesling from Kickon Ranch in Santa Barbara. So no secondary fermentation, the first fermentation finishes in the bottle, and therefore there’s no fining/filtering (which explains the cloudiness, but think of it as col fondo). It does need to be very cold when opening as it can get a little excited to be shared (and they have bottle tags explaining why, due to tartrate crystals deposits). If you know me, I have very low tolerance for dirty/flawed wines, even natural ones, and hate hate hate hate mouse (it doesn’t help that I’m super sensitive to it). Jody and Emily make soulful, terroir-driven wines that just happen to be low/no sulfur.

That said the wine is clean and refreshing, I would urge you to at least try it before passing judgement.

I think Petnat tastes kind of like grape beer

Today is Tequila day

From their site:
This wine is fermented spontaneously.
Other Information: Cobolorum means “goblin,” which is our affectionate nickname for the Kick On Ranch Riesling vines. We call this undisgorged, no-added-anything pét-nat our Naughty Goblin Bubbles, as it must be kept very cold or it may leap out of the bottle to greet you! Natural sediment will rise from the bottom after uncapping, to create the “cloud of delicious.”

I generally have disliked many of the “natural” wines I have tasted. They taste flawed/dirty to me. But in the case of Pet-Nat, I have started to develop an appreciation. I don’t think of them as wine, however. (Bias.) I put them in a category of a cider or even a sour beer.
La Garagista from Vermont (Deirdre Heekin) makes some fantastic Pet Nat wines - floral, vibrant and not at all dirty.

Congrats on having a wine you sell in the NYT! Hope you get emptied out.

If someone was pouring it I would take a taste but really I have zero interest in chasing some of it down or buying it

I would love to try this - and it’s from one of California’s best Riesling sites (not that there’s that many of them). I love wines like this, they have the shelf life of milk so you have to drink them fast -

I have had a few vintages and bottles of this in the last few years. It’s an experience. The first time I had it was at Lolo in SF. The waitress had clearly never opened this before because it was a mess. The bubbles just kept overflowing in the ice bucket. Needs to be ICE cold and the crown cap opened carefully. Since then we’ve learned our lesson. It’s a tasty, refreshing wine using grapes from one of more famous Riesling vineyards in CA. It’s a bit “natty” but fun overall to drink. Certainly not a substitute for Champagne. Their other wines are solid too. Had a decade long vertical of their still riesling at a tasting last year and was pretty impressed, considering the minimalist approach.

I’d definitely give it a shot, though I really dislike these wines bottled under crown cap because it’s so hard to effectively open them carefully. Not a problem most of the time, but I had a bad experience earlier this year that has made me a little gun-shy. Straight out of the fridge I opened the crown cap, the pressure nearly blew the bottle opener out of my hand, a serrated piece of metal landed 25 feet away, and maybe a quarter of the contents of the bottle spilled out onto the table. I wouldn’t expect that from a pet-nat, since I would expect it should be easy to control the end pressure by bottling at the right RS level, but here we are.