2010 Chianti Classico Riservas drinking great

I’ve recently found that the 2010 CCRs are drinking beautifully right now, almost across the board…Over the past couple of weeks I’ve been especially impressed by the wines of even some fairly solid-but-unexceptional producers, most notably two wines from San Felice: the 2010 Il Grigio Gran Selezione and the Poggio Rosso CCR. Also showing great were a Monsanto CCR, a Selvapiana Bucerchiale Riserva (technically a Rufina rather than Classico), and an Antinori Badia a Passignano CCR…

I am moving all of my 2010 Chianti into the “ready to drink” section of my cellar to be enjoyed over the next year or two (although I’m sure many could last longer)…

Wondering if anyone else has had similar or conflicting experience, or if most people don’t typically bother aging their CCR this long?

John, I had a 2010 Felsina CCR a couple months ago that was wonderful - but I also got the sense it would hang around for another 10 years easily. Was planning to pull some 2010 Fontodi CC out of storage the next time I’m allowed in.

Thanks for the note. I have a single bottle of 2010 Cispiano Chianti Classico La Gran Selezione. Looking forward to drinking it based on your comments.

I’ve had a bottle of the Felsina Rancia and the Castell’in Villa CC in the last two months, and while both were very good, I also thought they would both improve with additional time, so at least IMO, neither would be considered “drink now”.

But this is a vintage where a rising tide lifted all boats, so for lesser producers like Bossi’s Berardo and Gabbiano CCR, the wines are pretty decent.

I’ve had a few in the spring too and thought they were doing well. I don’t have the general depth nor feel for the regions other posters here do, but I’ve liked most of what I’ve opened. (except for Castell’in Villa, sorry Bob!)

What I really like about Chianti vs. the heavier French wines I normally favor is how much better they handle the summer temps here. Red Rhones, Red Bordeaux have to be drunk in the air conditioned house. But the sangiovese, and I, can be together outside by the grill/pool.

I had a 2010 Felsina Riserva Rancia (so a step above the regular Riserva) a month or two ago and it was a knockout. Fantastic combination of depth and freshness, extraordinarily well balanced, long and smooth. So well structured, like a beautifully tailored suit. I don’t have much experience with Chianti but that bottle sent me to buy more of the 2010 and 2016 Rancia. If you like the style it was easily competitive with bottles two to three times the price.

Arv, that’s a very interesting and surprising observation. I have never tried it, but I am open minded and I am going to check this out myself now. Thanks.

I also had bothe recently and I agree. Very enjoyable now but better wait 5-20 years

1 Like

I consider Felsina Rancia a bit of an outlier, as one of the darker/denser of all CCRs and seemingly in a perpetual state of “needs more time”…I wouldn’t have expected this one to show “ready” today, as I’m not even finding my '01s or '04s to be drinking yet.

I’m a bit more surprised about the Castell’in Villa CC (non-riserva), though I admittedly have limited experience with these, having only had the Riserva a couple of times in prior vintages (and never the CC).

Vince, I had the ‘88 Felsina CCR in 2013 and it was one of the best wines I’ve ever had, from anywhere. A lucky purchase long after release that had clearly been stored perfectly.

Sounds wonderful. The oldest I had was a ‘97 about 4 years ago. It was lovely and nowhere near declining.

Had the ‘10 Fontodi last night. So good. I feel these ‘10s will easily last another decade.

Frank,

1988 was a fantastic vintage in Tuscany. Il Poggione Brunelli, normale and Riserva were fantastic as many other wines from the area. I am not surprised about the Felsina. BTW: I love the CCR more than Rancia because it is made with a lighter hand and not so extracted.

I agree with you on all counts, Jürgen. I certainly wish I’d bought more ‘88s.

I just pulled an 88 Monsanto Il Poggio from storage and stood it up for this weekend. Will post notes!

FWIW, some of the 2010 Brunellos are also showing really well. In the last few weeks I’ve tasted four, and all but one drank surprisingly well (i.e. all were very expressive…though with none showing any notes of true “maturity”). In particular, I posted a separate note on the 2010 Livio Sassetti Pertimali, which was just completely outstanding, and an Albatreti (which is a lower-priced producer I wasn’t familiar with) was shockingly delicious. (FWIW, the Le Ragnie BdM was the only one that showed as still tight/closed and inexpressive.) Given the pleasure they provide (and the quantity I bought), I intend to drink probably 25% of my 2010 CCRs & BdMs over the coming year (as I’ve purchased a fair number of '15s and intend to go long on the '16s as well).

Bob, was this the Castell’in Villa Riserva, or the normal bottling?

I had another bottle of the 2010 Nipozzano ‘Riserva’ [Chianti Rufina] as the SO was making a meat ragu and needed red wine in the recipe, so I pulled one of these to use, and to drink with dinner and the next day. Medium ruby colored, light bodied, with saddle notes on the nose, and mint and cherry on the palate. Still lots of acid, although the tannins have faded. This is distributed by the Mondavi’s in my area, so its pretty much everywhere – Costco, supermarkets, etc. This is easy midweek Chianti at 13.5% abv that is true to what a consumer would expect. Despite a decade, there is no sediment in either the last glass nor the bottle, so it must have been scrubbed up at bottling. A good value, and a B in my ledger (similar to my last impression some years ago) but not a wine I would want to use my own scarce space on. I might have another left, and would expect it to be fine for several more years. The color suggests it can still keep a while, if one looks below.

PXL_20210127_042009005.jpg