Pairing with a little different kind of pizza?

a “truffle pizza”… on top is chiffonaded basil, baldness truffle salt, parmesan cheese, tartufata, heirloom tomatoes, mozzarella. More like a pizzeta in a way.

What type of wine to pair? I have a lot of different stuff so any thoughts welcome.

For me, when I am having a simple pizza meal, I ususally want something fairly simple but juicy, with a bit higher acidity. So I like a Rosso di Montalcino or Chianti Classico…The earthy notes in these wines would also seem to go well with truffle salt

The tartufata has truffle slices in it as well. A different play on a Margherita pizza. I would go w a chianti or even brunello otherwise, maybe a sicilian Nero d’avola… jist wondering without a red sauce if it would still work.

White Burg or Pinot Bianco.

I’d even go with delicate older red Burgundy. You get the mushroom-y notes to complement your main ingredients, and acid to cut through the overall richness of the elements and sharpness of the tomatoes. Pinot Bianco above was a nice call, too, I think.

Maybe a Marsanne/Rousanne based wine from a cooler climate, as well?

Okay, so what’s wrong with a Barolo here. Maybe a lighter style one but I like Barolo and truffles.

Nebbiolo Rosato like the 2019 Sperino Lessona Rosa del Rosa. [winner.gif]

Keep it simple and make it one with good acidity.

A Barbera or a Chianti Classico Riserva.

Any Nebbiolo is what I’d do. Doesn’t have to be expensive.

Yes, Nebbiolo is such an obvious choice that would pair great. Age would be great but not necessary. Alternatively I could see an aged Sangiovese or red Burgundy. I don’t think straying from classic pairings is worthwhile here because those classics work so well.

I know everyone associates Nebbiolo and truffles, but the tomatoes, basil and mozzarella really count in favor of the Sangiovese wines people have suggested— something more red-fruited and bright. The tannins of Nebbiolo need meat or something rich and fatty.

The Italian’s love their Chianti with pizza.

The classic truffle pairings with nebbiolo are buttery risotto, a stew with truffles, eggy and buttery fresh pasta or eggs – something that’s protein-heavy and rich. This is basically margherita pizza with some truffle flavor added. Quite a different set of flavors.

Lots of good recs already. Biased for Loire Anjou Chenin Blanc or Fleurie Beaujolais. Perhaps even a light Bandol rose. Tempranillo also comes to mind. (If I keep going it would be towards a rose of Rhône origins, or natural wine from ca or France so many great producers)

Nebbiolo was my first thought as well. I shared a tasting note from last night of the Fiorenzo Nada 2013 Barbaresco Montaribaldi. It was excellent with a farro and mushroom dish. A young Barb or Barolo might be a bit too much. I love the basic Vajra Nebbiolo or even their Rosso Barbara/Nebb blend. They each would go great with that pizza.

I’m a big fan of Champagne with pizza if it doesn’t have tomato sauce. The basil / heirloom tomato / truffle combo seems somewhat difficult, but I assume this would still be a good pairing. Could see either a fresher style or richer / aged working well.

I was actually thinking Sicilian Nerello Mascalese or Frappato would work, although I agree that any of the other suggestions (Chianti, Brunello, RdM, Nebbiolo, Nero d’Avola, Barbera, etc.) would work. In addition, a good cru Beaujolais such as Lapierre, Thevenet or Foillard would also fit the bill here (i.e. juicy and tart red)…and I suspect a dry Lambrusco would be nice as well…

My vote would be a Barolo too!

Dolcetto.

Whatever you think is the right wine will be the right wine. Wine-food pairing is mostly mythology.