TN: 1995 Zenato Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Sergio Zenato Riserva

• 1995 Zenato Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Sergio Zenato Riserva - Italy, Veneto, Valpolicella, Amarone della Valpolicella Classico (7/26/2020)
    After talking about Zenato in another thread, I decided to open one from my old, slightly neglected, collection. And since it was my birthday just the day before, it seemed appropriate to kill one. Decanted for about 2hrs. Cork came out way too easy, making me worried it had been compromised, but no, it was fine. Ever so slightly bricking at edges, extreme raisin/plum on the initial nose (as with most of them). I was kind of dreading it a bit, to be honest, as my taste is so far removed from this style now. After 2hrs the raisin notes had subdued on the nose. And on the palate, yes they’re there with the plums (who thankfully haven’t gone all prune on me) and there’s that familiar sweetness. I always get like a little burn or heaviness in my chest from Amarone’s, prob from the alcohol level (which is on the lower side for an Amarone at 15%). But then something happened, you sip, you get into it, you feel those magical tannins and slight bitterness balance the sweetness and at the end - a long acidic finish. In an instant, I’m transported back. They’re so seductive, despite their heft, and dare I say it - it almost a lightness to them when they’re well balanced? Anyway, a nice and pleasant encounter again. I don’t think I’ll dive into another one until a good reason turns up, but maybe just a really heavy, dark, brooding fall stew is all you need as an excuse? Wonderful. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I’m like you in that this isn’t something I’m in the mood for often. However, when I am in the mood, I prefer Amarone to Port for these very reasons–primarily the bitterness, but also the fact that it’s not a sweet, not as “hot”, and the acidity.

Yes, agreed. I’m very sensitive to sweetness in wines, so this is actually not at all my jam (pun intended) anymore. But they kind of reel you in and envelop you. My wife had never had an Amarone before and she actually really disliked it. She thought it tasted like port (which it kind of does). She couldn’t even finish her glass. [barf.gif]