TN: 2004 Rhys Home Vineyard

This is the oldest Rhys I’ve had since it’s of course the oldest Rhys it’s possible to have without breaking into Kevin’s basement. On release it floored me with its complexity, rocky expression, and conspicuous absence of any indication it’s from a heat-wave vintage. Fourteen years later the ripe fruit scents fill the room as it’s decanted and is probably more expressive of the sunshine now than it was then. But that aspect of it hasn’t taken over because with airtime it segues back to the familiar profile with mellower, middleweight fruit packed with red rocks that make it taste like it was grown on Mars. It still tastes younger than some Rhys you can have from the following few vintages but some of those are a bit backwards to be in a happy drinking state and this is not like that at all - it still has tannin to give it texture (which if not quite cashmere is at least very finely combed, very comfy merino) but this is open and easygoing. But maybe better to keep holding another 5 or 10 if you want something more evolved.

Synesthesia aside, great line.

Are there any vintages of Home, 2010 onward, that are drinking particularly well right now?

Brian,

I’ve been fast-tracking all of my 2011 Rhys Pinots and tried the Home back in March. It is much better than its vintage peers at this point and I’d go for it if you have one to try. I haven’t had other vintages of Home to compare, so the 2011 may not be a great representative, however it is a nice wine.

Cheers,
fred

Thanks, Fred. Ironically, 2011 is the one vintage in that span that I don’t have, as I already drank my one bottle — and I agree with you, it was delicious and approachable when I drank it 2 years ago. [cheers.gif]