The kindness of friends

An evening to remember.

2018 Tibouren, Clos Cibonne Rose:
Beautiful rose; dry, flavorful and balanced. Very easy to drink.

2015 Vincent Girardin, St. Aubin, En Remilly:
Solid Chardonnay and nothing to sneeze at but, also, nothing to get excited about.

2013 Raveneau, Chablis Montee de Tonnerre:
Tremendous wine; exciting, riveting and a finish that goes forever; a life list wine. Oh my!

1988 Lytton Springs, Lytton Springs Zinfandel:
Claret.
32 year old claret.
Make that 32 year old great claret.

2005 Bruno Clavelier, Vosne-Romanee Les Beaux Monts:
Youthful but beginning to show its pedigree. Nothing wrong with drinking it now (can I get an amen) but miles to go before it sleeps.

2010 Chateau Beaucastel, CdP:
A wine that seldom grabs me, except this time. Quite the elegant and deep showing. Everything in its place, no sign of Brett and wonderful textures.

All served with tomato salad, stuffed squash blossoms and chanterelle risotto.
Finest kind.

Best, jim

Wow. Nice notes Jim. So happy you got to enjoy it with friends. Already opened a couple of my diminishing Raveneau this year. I think I’ll open a 2010 Beaucastel with friends soon.

good to see your notes and such wines.

Lots to love there. I treasure each encounter with Raveneau, and would love to taste that old Ridge Lytton. 2010 Beaucastel is shaping up to be great.

Jim, one wine merchant described Clos Cibonne as Frances fresher version of Lopez de Heredias rose. Have you had the LdH and thoughts on that comparison?

Not Jim but at least the two other rosés of Cibonne can age really well and 10+ years after vintage serve as good points of comparison to Tondonia Rosado. That said I think Tondonia maintains a lot of freshness despite the long ageing. No doubt though that Cibonne produces some of France’s best and most interesting rosés and not many can improve in the cellar like they can.

Cibonne does semi-oxidized version that is similar to LdH, I think.
This one was not it.
Best, jim

Yes, Max wants the Cuvee Speciale des Vignettes. While i wouldn’t say it is Tondonia rosado, it shares characteristics but to me is more saline and different, probably because LdH doesn’t use tibouren.

Great thread title Jim. I can completely relate as those in each of the 3 wine groups I’m in are just that, kind friends who delight in sharing the treasures of their cellars as well as being loving brothers and sisters.

And BTW, nice notes on nice wines.