Most reds don’t benefit from room temp????

“Almost no red wines benefit from being room temperature,” he says. “The wine becomes sloppy, alcoholic, and develops sticky aromatics — think overripe fruit — even from cool-climate regions.”

That’s a quote from a VinePair article my wife forwarded to me. The quote is attributed to Michael Kennedy of Component Wine Company. This runs counter to just about everything I know so I thought I’d throw out the article for comment here. I prefer lighter reds, like many Pinots, cooler than room temp, and (obviously) “room temp” is relative. But “most” reds???

Here’s the article:

I find that I prefer drinking reds with a slight chill opening up to room temp. However when evaluating, I like room temp straight away as flaws are more pronounced. Overly chilled wines mask flaws.

I’m fine with saying almost all reds are best served at cellar temp and allowed to come toward ‘room temperature’ as they sit open while we taste or swirl.

I agree that actual room temp is too high for starting to taste, especially regarding the alcoholic aspect. Then again, I prefer lower alcohol wines, so perhaps the ‘hotness’ of warmer wines is an idiosyncratic thing for my palate.

I also think white wines are best served at cellar temp.

I would venture to say that I think warmer wines lose their ‘structure’ and prefer cellar temp there, as well.

Thanks for posting that!

Depends on the room.

My house in winter is too cold for most reds.

Cellar temp has always been the standard to my knowledge. Or in that ballpark. Of course all wines come up to room temp since we don’t drink in cellars for the most part. I think he’s overstating it some because not all wines fall apart from being at room temp. If they do they probably are not that good at cellar temp either. Room temp can also vary quite a bit.

I drink all my wines cool. Reds at slightly below cellar temp (or even cooler on occasion), and whites at fridge temp

The reverse is true for me in the summer… thermostat is set to 78.

Room temperature is one of those terms that dates to 19th century England, when rooms were a good bit cooler. If your cellar is 60 degrees rather than 55, cellar temperature is pretty close to what room temperature used to mean.That said, I much prefer my reds to be closer to around 68, or modern room temperature. Cooler than that and I lose some complexity. Certainly, when it gets into the 70s, it does start to get blowsy.

1 Like

I really need to know the temperature of your room to answer this…

That said I had many very enjoyable wine events at my old wine storage place where the temp stayed constant a little under 55. Red wines still opened up with air.

I like starting every red at 55-60 degrees. If it’s a quick purchase from a local store, I’ll throw it in the fridge for an hour or two to bring it down.

Agree that not all reds fall apart at room temp (let’s say 72), but I think almost all reds show best between 60-65 degrees or so. Above that, the alcohol can start to poke out on bigger reds. The old adage “serve reds at room temperature” came about when British homes were heated to a balmy 60 degrees by fireplaces.

I agree with many that reds generally show best between 60-65F. [stirthepothal.gif]

I am struggling to think of any red wine that shows better at 72F than at 62F.

Another vote for starting at cellar temp and letting it warm to “modern” room temp of ~68 while open.

If you think of one, let us know! [cheers.gif]

I generally start from cellar temp as well, but do you guys have any strategies for keeping wine in the ~68 range if you are decanting, especially for a tasting event where there are 6 or 7 wines open and decanting? I’ve been letting them sit in the decanter so presumably getting into the mid 70’s (West Los Angeles room temperature). Would be interested in hearing how others deal with it.

champagne.gif

Well said. You have my proxy on this subject.

Room temp is too warm to me. But room temp in my house is like 78F. lol

Wow, that’s hot. And not the kind of hot that I like.

I prefer the house at 72, wifey prefers it at 68-70. I guess that keeps my shirt on. And even then that’s way too warm for red wine! I prefer most of my reds at cellar temps, say 57, and will start wines like Beaujolais slightly below.

you got that rich “i own multiple homes” money so you can have your AC running all the time