First Paso Trip-Need a little help

First I want to say a big thank you, this forum has been a wealth of information on all things wine. I stumbled upon this site when trying to learn more about Paso for an upcoming trip. This has become our back up honeymoon trip due to having to cancel Italy. We are looking at it as a wine cellar stock trip as well. I’ve tried to come up with a diverse list to mix some larger and some smaller stops. I want to bypass any large corporate type stops that I can get at the local grocery store. I’ve tried to only have a couple of the top higher end and want to focus more on the moderate to higher moderate. I feel like I might have a few too many big bold stops and need help if I should change up more toward the middle. Would like to focus more on $40-60 bottles and not too much in the $70-90 range. We are bringing a decent amount to spend on the cellar so we are not opposed to some $70+ bottles we just don’t want a full case at that price point if that makes sense. Below is where i’m currently at and just need a little assistance with the last fine tuning. We are spreading out the stops over 4 days so I know it’s a bit heavy but i’m hoping feasible.

Turley-currently still not open. Looking for a back up if they don’t open by September that is open at 10:00. Would Tablas be a good substitute? I had my heart set on Turley for the zins but sigh I know it may not happen. I have Lone Madrone so wasn’t sure I need to hit Tablas but not sure what else to do for a back up that opens at 10:00.
Booker-I joined their MFN club due to a price that looked good so we have free tasting here. (I now suspect its due to the recent investement but oh well)
Niner-stop to combine with lunch.
Herman Story
Lone Madrone
Denner
Jada
Brecon
Calcarous-for the view and combine with lunch.
Zenaida-I found their wine club structure interesting so joined and have enjoyed the wines so far. Leaving as a waived fee stop.

Here are the few i’m waivering on. I’m tring to get a good assortment but am worried I have too many big bold wine stops and want to hit some nice medium smooth ones too. We are strictly looking for red and aren’t too discerning. I enjoy most kinds but lean toward red blends, petite sirahs, and sryahs so I think most of Paso will be up my alley. Husband likes cabs but i’ve been getting him to branch out and he is starting to like zins, some malbecs etc. I’m trying to cut the really top expensive stops like Daou and Clos.

*Th Estates-would I be better off with Law, Caliza, Epoch or Linne Calodo instead?
*Croad-I had this for the views and was thinking of hitting it for a glass during their Kiwi hour but due to rearranging the schedule it would be right after Calcarous and not sure I need to hit two for the views back to back. Worth the view or cut from the list?
*Austin Hope-I had for cabs for my husband. He said he really doesn’t need a cab stop so now debating keep or suggestion on something to replace? Was eying Thatcher, Adelaida, Dilecta or maybe one of the ones mentioned above Epoch/Caliza etc.

Any insight or advice on the last 3 would be much appreciated. Husband wants to hit Desperada so I was thinking of hitting that with Benom on our way into town instead of the popular and expensive stop Clos.

Thanks so much!

There’s so much there that you can’t hit everything in one trip. Personally, I think if you’re going to have a couple higher-end / more expensive stops in there, they should be Torrin and Clos Solene. First, they both have really wonderful, intimate tasting experiences, with great staff and ambiance (and Clos’ cheese pairing tasting is really excellent). Second, not only is their wine great, but even though a lot of them are quite big, they also show a lot of finesse (in my opinion).

I also think Epoch is a really nice tasting experience and I recall the tasting and the wines there being a bit less expensive than the aforementioned wineries.

Tablas Creek is nice because it offers a different style and more variety beyond what I consider the typical really huge Passo wines. That being said, compared to all of the other places I’ve been in Paso, they seem very corporate/commercial, and the tasting experience is typically much less intimate. The exception to that is if you do the collector’s vertical tasting. This is a private vertical of their flagship red, and after they also let you pick a few of almost any other available wine to taste. Tablas doesn’t make my favorite wine in Paso, but the vertical tasting was a really good experience.

I still haven’t been to Tin City, but I’d love to go and will make a day out of that they next time I’m up there for more than just an afternoon.

I hope every thing is decently operational and safe when you go to Paso and you have fun on your honeymoon!

1 Like

I really enjoyed my visit to Tablas - although it’s a larger winery and was busy, they have enough different tasting spots that were all fairly manageable. Our pourer was great as well.
If you’re on the Turley mailing list, you might be able to swing a tasting there. I just got an email about Amador having that option if you’re picking up wine.
If you want something a little different, although the wines were not spectacular, Red Soles also distils their own absinthe and a couple other things. Worth it for the stop to try that out if you’re in to that sort of thing.

Edit: Thank you to Mark, for correcting my description of the wines that Jacob Toft and Linne Calodo make. Have modified my original post below.

Seems like you’ve done some great initial research so far. My wife and I got married in Paso in 2018 so we were driving down there quite a lot before our wedding and we were just down there in June to celebrate our 2 year. Based off your initial post here are my recommendations (happy to provide more detail if you want to PM me as well):

First, if you’re going to go to Westside of Paso (majority of the top wineries are out there), you’ll need to drive or you can do Uber Wine (unique for the Paso/SLO region). Uber Wine you can book an Uber by the hour to stay with you as cell service is horrible at some of the wineries.

Clos Solene (we’re members here and just visited in June). Currently open for outdoor tasting and it’s a great experience. It’ll be on your more expensive side of $80-90/bottle, but I think it’s worth it if you want to use this as your more “splurge” tasting. It’s not “touristy” or “corporate” which fits in line with your description of what you are looking for.

Fulldraw (we just became members here this last June trip.). Based off a recommendation we went to Fulldraw and we were blown away. Connor (winemaker) used to work at Booker and they purchased Fulldraw Vineyard 6 years ago. Only have 2-3 vintages. They’re down the road from Booker so if you wanted to go to Booker you could easily do both from a timing and logistical perspective. Wife and I have a rule that we won’t join another wine club unless EVERYTHING at the tasting is good… well everything was great. 1 rose, 2 whites, and the rest reds. We joined instantly. I will say it’s on the pricier side ($85 for reds), $40ish for whites, but another one if you want to use it as your “splurge” winery to visit.

Booker (went here in June). Solid tasting, but not blown away by it. Definitely has a loyal following and it’ll be on your pricier side.

Linne Colado (went here 2 years ago). Great blends, rhone dominant one, but I only like the Sticks and Stones. Good tasting, but it’ll be a little less than Booker or Clos Solene, but not by much. I think $70ish per bottle.

All of the above are on Westside of Paso so you can do them all in a day if properly spaced out.

Tin City:
This is our favorite place to go. You’ll find some quality producers, while some producers aren’t quite there yet. Pricing will be more in the $40-60 and you can park your car and walk to all the tasting rooms. They also have a rotating food truck outside the Brewery so you can get a quick bite for lunch. There’s also Pier 46 nearby in a shopping center which has really good fish tacos.

Levo (we’re members here)-- one of our favorites. Bret is a talented winemaker and great guy. Solid rhone varietals and well-priced. Definitely go here.

Jacob Toft– great quality wines, but they were a bit too overpowering for me. However last time I tasted here was 2 years ago, so I might go back next time I go to Paso and revisit.

Turtle Rock– good variety of rhone blends. The Willow’s Cuvee was our favorite here

Benom (you mentioned this earlier)-- Winemaker from Clos Solene and his brother started this label. They mix Rhone and Bordeaux varietals. Haven’t been in 3 years, but it was a good tasting when we were there.

Desperada– Good all around.

Sans Liege– Also good place to stop and taste.

Aaron– I think he’s got two labels now. Good place to stop. Not my style, but a lot of people go.

Nicora– Didn’t get a chance to visit last time, but hear great things.

Food

Hatch (downtown Paso)-- we eat there every time. Just delicious food and a great atmosphere. Not overly priced.

il Cortile (downtown Paso)-- Paso’s high end Italian restaurant. Italian cuisine isn’t my favorite, but a lot of people go there

Les Petites Canailles (“LPC”) (downtown Paso)-- new restaurant. Went there for first time in June and WOW. Really good wine list and great French food. Well-priced.

Thomas Hill Organics (downtown Paso)-- farm to table. Food is great. We’ve just had poor service last 2 times there so we don’t go back.

La Cosecha (downtown Paso)-- fun atmosphere and good food. On the lighter side which might be a good change up from some of the heavier food options listed above.

Spearhead Coffee– great roaster and coffee in Downtown Paso.

Tablas Creek is a very good visit. Halter Ranch is right next door and it’s a beautiful place to visit as well.
From you list, I like Epoch a lot.
L’Aventure is another favored winery.

1 Like

I would add Turley as it is a good representation of the zinfandel in the area and also Epoch Estate. Epoch actually has a nice outdoor tasting area.

1 Like

Tablas is a great visit and really over-delivers in terms of quality for $$$. Also, a nice change of “taste” from many of the “Big” styled wines you often see in Paso. Also with Covid, tasting is by reservation and more personal.

Great list! I would add Top in Tin City…on the backside of Nicora, if they haven’t moved. Also, L’Aventure is nice as well but at the upper end of the price point. Great food choices in Tin City as well…

Turley is only open to wine club members at this time. Things may change but not so far.

1 Like

Since it was mentioned and I feel a duty to protect innocent souls, I need to mention that the one time I ate at Thomas Hill Organics last June was likely the most pathetic dining experience I’ve ever had, certainly within the last 10 or so years. Without getting into all of the sad details, I’ll just that we would’ve had a much more enjoyable dinner if we ordered Dominos to the room.

A couple of quick notes:

If you want Zin and Turley is not open, head over to J Dusi. Many of the others mentioned offer zin blends which is NOT the same as straight zin.

Neil Collins, the winemaker at Tablas and the owner/winemaker at Lone Madrone, makes wines for each that are very very different so going to both is NOT repeating yourself whatsoever.

I personally would NOT miss out on going to Tablas Creek. Yep, their tasting room is larger and seems more ‘commercial’ than many others up there, but they are the creme de la creme if you are looking for more subtle, ‘true to CdP’ style Rhones, not Rhones made through the eyes of a Paso winemaker. And I would let them know it’s your honeymoon and you’re really looking for an educational component to your tasting - you will NOT be disappointed.

One other thing about Lone Madrone - they usually offer KILLER burgers - truly not be missed if they are offering them.

As far as others goes, TH Estates is recommended - smaller operation and Jennifer is awesome if you can taste with her. I would recommend Vines of the Marycrest - low key and Victor is awesome (let him know I sent you!). For Petite Sirah, hit up Aaron Wines - that’s what he specializes in. Top in Tin City is another great choice as is Levo (thought Bret uses all Santa Barbara County fruit - ahem).

As far as meals go, hit up Buona Tavola or Il Cortile for killer Italian, Hatch for great grilled foods, and Fish Gaucho for a good time.

Cheers.

I would definitely agree with Gus and visit TOP. They have moved to their new facility but they are the new exciting winery in Paso doing BIG things!!! Stanley is a wonderful winemaker with a huge attention to detail and Elena “Stanley’s wife” is the most amazing host she will make you feel like part of the family before you’re done with the end of your tasting! Visit here you wont be disappointed! I know they were sold out of their wines a few months ago but I think they have a few wines available for their visitors.

So I definitely also suggest Clos Solene, LaVenture, Law, Turtle Rock
Benom, Levo, Fulldraw, Thacher
Les Petites Canailles (“LPC”) is also a must

1 Like

Recommended wineries: Daou (not all locals are their fans, but wines are good and they have the best view), Villa Creek, Desparada (do like Valia’s wines better than her husband’s (Herman Story)), Dilecta.

If you venture to San Luis Obispo and like Chardonnay and Pinot, would definitely recommend Talley.

Add Range (in Santa Margarita, they do not take reservations and are cash only, but really great food) to the list of the restaurants.

Agree also that Tablas should be on your list, I’d also put in a plug for Adelaida which is just down the road. For something a little different and definitely small and family owned/run check out Ryan and Nicole at Paix Sur Terre for their Mourvedre and mourvedre blends.

For breakfast, hit up Kitchenette in Templeton - you won’t be disappointed.

Cheers

I’m a huge fan of Herman Story. Hits your price point dead on. They are big bold wines in a very unapologetic style. The staff there is amazing and totally down to earth. Even though we had better views and more intimate stops at Linne Calodo and Torrin, this one wins out on personality alone.

Also want to second Tin City. I wish we would have spent a whole day there. Turtle Rock had great wines, and Sans Liege is a staple and a cool experience. I think of Tin City as a place where you can get wines at 40-60 from producers that should be at 80+.

Have a great time! My wife and I went in January and I really don’t want to go back to Napa after it. Cool town, great restaurants, and amazing wines without the cattle hearding and insane price tags you get in Napa. I love Napa but Paso beats it by far.

I’m a huge fan of Herman Story. Hits your price point dead on. They are big bold wines in a very unapologetic style. The staff there is amazing and totally down to earth. Even though we had better views and more intimate stops at Linne Calodo and Torrin, this one wins out on personality alone.

Also want to second Tin City. I wish we would have spent a whole day there. Turtle Rock had great wines, and Sans Liege is a staple and a cool experience. I think of Tin City as a place where you can get wines at 40-60 from producers that should be at 80+.

Have a great time! My wife and I went in January and I really don’t want to go back to Napa after it. Cool town, great restaurants, and amazing wines without the cattle hearding and insane price tags you get in Napa. I love Napa but Paso beats it by far.

1 Like

Law has good wine if you like the big bold style, but it’s pricey. They have a beautiful modern winery with a great view so it’s worth a visit.

Thacher is a cool spot. They have an eclectic mix of wines that are mostly ~$30-50. They range from Zin blends, Bordeaux blends, and Pinots, to geekier stuff like Valdigue and Cinsault. It’s small and they have 2 Australian Shepherds that hang out in the tasting room.

I would also recommend hitting up Tin City (especially Aaron if you like Petite Sirah), and Tablas Creek as others have mentioned.

1 Like

+1, we’ve been three times now and had very personal service every time. Even on a busy Saturday. It is obvious that TC values wine education, for their staff and customers. What they’ve done in terms of bringing Rhône varietals to California is unparalleled. The current safety measures limit the interaction with the staff unfortunately (I’m supportive). Still very enjoyable, and fantastic QPR.

Other favorites: Halter Ranch, Kukkula, Fratelli Perata, Windward (all for different reasons). Planning to check out Tin City next time.

2 Likes

+1 on Thacher. I’ve never regretted a purchase from them. Just very interesting (different) stuff.