When Will All White Burg Producers Begin To Use Diam?

I can’t remember having a premoxed wine since Bouchard started using Diam. When will other producers follow?

Soon. Leflaive is using Diam. Also Marc Colin.

Had a Voillot Pommard 1er bottled under Diam 5. I wonder what the incentive is for Diam in the reds.

I would say when consumers stop purchasing Wines from the region bottles under natural cork.

Never, some will continue to use cork, some will use screwcaps (eg Leroux), some will use procork, some may use vinolok, but I cannot see universal use of Diam in any region.

Most if not all of the recent white Burgs I’ve opened have been Diam 5 or 10.

They won’t. If you’re a producer likeCoche-Dury, DRC, Leroy/D’Auvenay, Raveneau, etc. and haven’t had any premox to speak of, why change?

Isn’t Jadot using it also.

Yes

Dujac uses DIAM 10 on their Bourgogne blancs.

Soon I hope, but probably never.

I believe that Bernard Moreau does as well.

hitsfan

Possibly to reduce TCA incidents? Not suggesting aforementioned Producers have frequent issues, but DIAM was initially promoted as reducing incidents of TCA more so than reducing premature oxidation.

As does Roulot.

I’ve seen DIAM5 on their lower end stuff and DIAM10 on the GCs. Is anybody using DIAM30?

DIAM5 is stiffer than a regular cork, but DIAM10 is considerably stiffer than 5 and harder to get the corkscrew in and feels like it sticks to the bottle quite a bit more. You can definitely tell there’s a difference in quality.

[quote=", post:1, topic:162952"]
Bouchard started using Diam
[/quote]

I’ve seen DIAM5 on their lower end stuff and DIAM10 on the GCs. Is anybody using DIAM30?

DIAM5 is stiffer than a regular cork, but DIAM10 is considerably stiffer than 5 and harder to get the corkscrew in and feels like it sticks to the bottle quite a bit more. You can definitely tell there’s a difference in quality.

Wow, I’ve never even knew that DIAM30 existed? How does it taste in comparison to DIAM10

Comtes Lafon is using DIAM 30. I believe that’s standard for sparkling wines as well?

[new-here.gif]

Oh. So they’ve concluded natural corks cause premox? This should have been big news.

Seems to completely fly in the face of evidence and history but 2020…

It’s not the sole cause, but cork variability seems to be the only plausible explanation for the inconsistency among bottles of the same wine. Winemaking changes (riper, lower pH grapes; different presses, etc.) made wines more vulnerable to oxidation. Imperfect corks supply the oxygen and the unpredictable nature of premox.

So there is suddenly inconsistent corks for only certain houses starting what 20-25 years ago? And in only the corks on the whites? Seems a grasp. This is a nice distraction for producers that don’t want to self examine technique and method.

I think the real battle is against stubbornness and openness. Diam won’t solve that.