TN: 2017 Brander Cabernet Sauvignon Los Olivos Vineyard

• 2017 Brander Cabernet Sauvignon Los Olivos Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (7/30/2020)
    Bought this mainly because the owner is a fellow Swede. Not the most expressive nose, but very juicy attack on the palate and a nice coating of your buds. Hint of bitterness on the tannins, but not in an unpleasant way. Medium finish. This is a pretty low alcohol Cabernet at 13.5%, which is nice to see for a change. Light on the oak, can barely detect any. Didn’t decant, so can already tell it will improve in glass with time, this is just my initial sips. If I can fault it all it has a slight metallic note somewhere. But a good everyday drinker. (88 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Adam,

Interesting notes. Honest question - if someone ‘wondered’ if you had made ‘too heavy of an acid correction’ on one of your wines, how would you react?

Have you reached out to Fabian Bravo, the winemaker at Brander, to inquire?

Also, any impressions on the wine after allowing it to open up for awhile?

Cheers.

I have a sweet spot for Brander - one of the wineries that really got me into wine, many years ago. Purchased several cases back at the time, haven’t had it since, however

Larry, fair point. I’ve changed it to remove that question.

It didn’t change much in glass over time, but changed it to 88pts as I think that’s a more correct score for it.

Adam,

If that’s how you feel, go ahead and state it - but as a winemaker, you will look at things ‘differently’ than others and will have to perhaps have a different ‘standard’ when posting notes. You SHOULD state your opinions, but if you are interested in ‘techniques’, I would suggest reaching out to the winemaker for clarification.

It’s as if I had a bottle of your wine and I felt it was bretty - I would reach out first and see if this is something that you or others have experienced. Just in case.

Taste on . . . [snort.gif] champagne.gif

Thank you for posting your note, Adam.

For what it’s worth, I enjoy reading your unvarnised opinions. I find your takes both interesting and refreshing.

Chris just picked up a 6 pack of the Sauvignon Blanc @ Pavillions.

Still blows my mind they can make an acid filled SB right off of 154…