TN: 2016 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spätlese

I know, I know, infanticide.

Slightly reticent and coiled on the nose with honey, apricots, a touch of petrol and a hint of mango, this wine absolutely sings texturally; on the palate it’s unctuous, glycolic and beautifully rounded but still effortlessly glides along the palate light as a feather in balance and harmony into a lightly tropical finish. Not seemingly a ripplingly acidic year. I think I’m still a Kabinett Guy™, but this was a restrained and elegant Spätlese.

One day I’m gonna have the discipline to age one of these, I swear. I’ll wait for the '19s.

JJ Prum’s wines are experiencing a steep increase in prices over here. Latest releases crack the AU$130 mark. I hope the pricing is better in CA. I saw some older vintages around for about half the price of the newer ones and will bite on them soon. Even as young as this 2016 was it sounds delicious and in line with all the other great TNs on here. Yum.

Did you pair it with something spicy and see how it changed?

~$55 USD/$75 CAD here for this bottling. I’d jump on any old Prum I could find, honestly.

Funny you should say that! I cracked this open because we got some Indian food. Granted, it was a pretty crackling lamb Vindaloo, but I found the food overwhelmed the wine a bit so after having a glass before dinner, I left the rest until afterwards.

Much better pricing, even though the 2009 I saw was AU$75 so you never know what you might find. I just need to wait for payday.

Good to know re: lamb, I will try to stick to a vegetarian curry with maybe some white meat at most. And tons of spices.

Yeah, the Indian food match can be a good one, but truly “hot” dishes really need Auslese.

The trick with matching Indian is not type of meat, but amount of spice. So, as David says the issue was that vindaloo was super spicy, not that it was lamb. For “normal” spicy, Spätlese generally works well.

It was definitely the heat - just kinda neutralized the wine on the palate. You’re absolutely right in that most Chinese/Thai/other East Asian cuisine, Spät is more than enough.

Auslese in the future it is!

Prüm also tends to the elegant. Other producers might make weightier wines that could better “compete” with the hotter dishes.

So, do I need to start panicking about Prum pricing?

If you live in Australia.

Yeah, was about to say that seems a bit high from what I see. 40s to start, graduates from there.

I would have no.problem panic-buying a lifetime supply of Prum, but for my preference to have a range of age in our collection. One of the greatest things about Riesling is that one can lazily acquire mostly everything at reasonable prices.