TN: 2017 Domaine de la Côte Pinot Noir Bloom's Field

• 2017 Domaine de la Côte Pinot Noir Bloom’s Field - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (8/1/2020)
    Decanted 3 hrs. Kathleen bought this as she really liked Raj Parr’s background from watching Somm3 I think on Netflix, first time for either of us. Seems like a lot is going on here, but this still tightly coiled. My initial reaction was this tasted a lot like a young Cristom Pinot from OR, low acidity, or at least what was initially perceived, but no lack of structure. I am guessing (but could be wrong) there is some whole cluster going on, it has that wild edge you get from stems. Deep black raspberry provides plenty of enjoyment and I really liked the white pepper touch on the finish. Should age, I liked it. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Dale,

I have a solitary 2014 which I am giving some additional cellar time, as yet undefined. I am late to the party on this producer. Glad it showed so well!

Cheers,
Doug

Great note!

I love this producer.

Perhaps the best ‘structure’ in California.

I haven’t tried the more recent vintages, but it used to have a lot of whole cluster, maybe even 100%. I think their vineyards are all heritage clones (Swan, Calera, Mount Eden), some of them own-rooted.

-Al

They have some suitcase selections elsewhere, too, but Bloom’s Field is Calera, Swan and Mt. Eden as you say!

I think Memorious is from seeds.

Sashi told me the story and I can’t find where I wrote it up now.

Yes, they planted an acre of Pinot Noir from seeds, I think next to the Memorius vineyard rather than part of it. It’s a long term project where they will select and eventually propagate some of the material. I don’t think they have sold wine from those vines, though.

There was a longer story written up about the project, don’t recall whether it was here or somewhere else.

-Al