TN: New Releases from Ridge Vineyards

All of these will be released on 9/1/20.

2018 Ridge Petite Sirah Lytton Estate Vineyard – Purple in color. 13.8% ABV. 97% Petite Sirah and 3% Zinfandel. Savory nose of black fruits, road tar and pepper. Full bodied with ample acidity. Dark and brooding with a shroud of tannins. Black cherry, blueberry, plums and earth on the palate. Tremendous length on the finish. Huge wine that is somewhat approachable now. The future is certainly bright. Best over the next 7-10 years. $40 at the winery and retail. My Score: 93 points.

2018 Ridge Lytton Springs – Bright crimson in color. 14.5% ABV. 72% Zinfandel, 18% Petite Sirah, 8% Carignane and 2% Mataro. Sensational nose of brambly red and black fruits, anise, earth and pepper. Medium body with exquisite acidity. Dark fruited with structure in spades. Black cherry, black raspberry and pepper on the palate. Exceptional length on the finish. This will certainly be a long lived Lytton Springs. Tons of potential. Best over the next 6-8 years. $45 at the winery and retail. My Score: 93 points.

2017 Ridge Monte Bello – Decanted at cellar temperature for 3 hours. Purple in color. 13.7% ABV. The final blend was 73% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot, 8% Petit Verdot and 4% Cabernet Franc. Breathtaking nose of cool blue and black fruits, creme de cassis, espresso and graphite. Immensely concentrated and powerful with a sense of finesse. The classic iron fist in a velvet glove. Black currants, blueberries, truffles and tobacco on the palate. The finish is long and seamless with ever so silky tannins. Thrilling wine that threads the needle between old and new world. A Monte Bello for the ages. This should hit it’s stride in about 10 years and drink well to 2050. $230 at the winery and retail. My Score: 99 points.

2019 Ridge Grenache Blanc – Very light color. 14% ABV. 77% Grenache Blance, 18% Picpoul and 5% Roussanne from Adelaida Vineyard. Pretty nose of lemon oil, grapefruit and flowers. Medium body with bright acidity. Tremendous mouth feel. Lemon, pears and minerals on the palate. The finish is long and refreshing. Fantastic wine on a warm Summer night. Best over the next several years. $30 at the winery and retail. My Score: 92 points.

Full story on Zinfandel Chronicles.

Nice to see this note! It was superb from barrel, but I haven’t tried it since. I bought six magnums and a case of bottles for my daughter’s birth year.

3% Petite Sirah? :slight_smile:

I think that’s illegal. :joy:

Thanks for proof reading on my behalf! flirtysmile

Tom

Wow! 6 Magnums. That is one lucky daughter. [winner.gif]

Thanks. Those magnums will age beautifully well past your daughter’s 21st birthday. Nicely done.

Tom

Awesome notes per usual buddy! And congrats on receiving samples from Ridge! That in itself is pretty damn cool!

These phrases on Monte Bello truly define what it is, so accurately:

The classic iron fist in a velvet glove. Black currants, blueberries, truffles and tobacco on the palate. The finish is long and seamless with ever so silky tannins. Thrilling wine that threads the needle between old and new world.

Well stated.

Too bad I didn’t increase my allocation on Monte Bello futures in the 2017 vintage, rather than 2019, as I’m hearing from ALL sources how the 2017 is one of their best in recent memory. William Kelley has the right idea, to be sure.

Really truly wish I had jumped on their futures program earlier into my wine buying. These are such great values to hold.

Yeah, happy I did (2013 my first vintage). Funny, though, everyone thinks they are a huge value as futures, but also complains every year when the price goes up [soap.gif]

We live in CA where the prices for everything escalate every year. I would hope wineries can hold prices steady but understand they can’t always do so. We are conditioned to expect prices on our favorites to always stay the same and when they don’t sometimes we move on or come here to complain. As a futures buy, Monte Bello is really tough to beat.

Thanks my man. And yes somewhat humbling.

Talk soon, Tom

For those of us newer to the MB program, how do you feel about the value at the release price? $207 delivered after discounts, I’m considering a single bottle as 2017 is a birth year.

100% the same here

Not sure. I would dread my future if I had a child in 2017! It’s enough work having a new dog at my age.

Ordered a three-pack of the Monte Bello. I have to concentrate on staying alive for a while now.

That’s a decent price. Lowest I can find on Wine-Searcher is $199 at Chambers Street.

The futures price IMO opinion is incredibly fair even taking into account the recent increase don’t you think?

Tom

“While 2017 was challenging throughout California, Ridge knocked it out of the park and made one of the finest vintages of their Monte Bello Cabernet Sauvignon I’ve tasted (and I’ve had most of them). This is a legend in the making that drinkers and collectors will want in the cellar.”

– 100 points, Jeb Dunnuck