TN: 2015 Alfred Merkelbach Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Auslese #8 'Lang Pichter'

• 2015 Alfred Merkelbach Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Auslese #8 ‘Lang Pichter’ - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (8/1/2020)
    Every bottle of Merkelbach is a glimpse into time gone by. It’s also a clear view of Würzgarten, all strawberry and spice, punctuated by ripe pineapple and a dollop of honey. Classic in form and structure, it’s an Auslese rather than some supercharged BA-wannabe. There is plenty of richness, and it is balanced by moderate acidity levels and solid minerality. I keep opening these, but should really lay down the rest for 15-20 years.

Posted from CellarTracker

Great note David! Haven’t had a Merkelbach Auslese yet, but Vinopolis in PDX has tons of the stuff - will remedy soon. I too have found them to be about a level lower on the Pradikat (not always) in comparison to most other producers.

They are a reminder of what German Riesling used to be. I treasure each bottle.

Indeed, I have no where near the depth of experience you have, but it’s not hard to understand the throwback quality when it setting right your glass. BTW I have been LOVING the 16 U.W. Halbtroken # 7 this summer, liquid sunshine so say I.

June 2018, an excellent wine drunk with my friend David Rayer :
Alfred Merkelbach Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Spätlese 1990 (AP 8/91) : 17/20
Fuder-Nr. 8/91. Fin, vif, très délicat, complexifié par l’âge.

Would love to have been there with you. I have not seen David in years.

I will meet him next Sunday, in Brittany (near St-Malo).
For my birthday.
The occasion to share great wines by the sea …

What does Lang Pichter stand for ?

It’s a subplot in the Wurzgarten vineyard

Urglück seems to be another plot …

Correct. Another of the old pre-1971 0lot names.

Great note David!

DBAB7BFE-B9CC-48D8-A0D7-AEAF1F668415.jpeg
‘tis the season.

Lovely wine and perfect for a summer evening. This shows the warmth of the vintage in the nose-apricots, peach, tangerine, a very faint oily note, sage, and maybe a touch of papaya.

In the mouth it’s richer than I expect Merkelbach to be, but delicious and balanced. More tropical notes, citrus, lemon peel. Sweetness and acid just balance each other, and while this may shut down at some point it’s extremely delicious now.

With air this really picks up speed. The lines are very clean, the tropical notes shift to florals, the oily note to wet stones. Still sage but adds hints of talc.

Would be perfect with ceviche, or coctel del pulpo.