TN: Ridge Zin Jimsomare '14....(short/boring)

Tasted last week:

1. Ridge Zin Jimsomare/MonteBelloRidge/SCM (100% Zin; 15.2%; 15 brls; bttld April 2016; 16 mo. in Am.oak; Drk: 2/16-2/23-2/24: EB) 2014: Very dark color w/ no bricking; strong blackberry/ripe Zin/raspberry/very spicy/peppery some dusty/OV some pencilly/Am.oak slight pungent/licorice/smokey fairly complex nose; fairly tart/tangy intense blackberry/ripe Zin/raspberry/very spicy/black pepper quite dusty/OV some pencilly/smokey/vanilla/Am.oak bit pungent/licorice/earthy fairly complex flavor w/ ample ripe tannins; very long/lingering somewhat tart intense blackberry/raspberry/ripe Zin very spicy some dusty/OV some Am.oak finish w/ modest ripe tannins; carries the alcohol will and not at all overripe; loads of bright/very spicy/ripe Zin character; a beautiful Ridge Zin that’s developing well.

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Jimsomare is, of course, the old vnyd down at the foot of the MonteBello AVA. It consistently produces one of my favorite Ridge Zins, of the quality of the LS/Geyserville/Pagani Zins. It typically shows more bright fruit than the other three.
    Tom

Nice note Tom. A favorite of mine as well!

We picked one up last year and look forward to trying it. Thanks for the note!

Ed

My brother-in-law, a ridge fanatic, has been buying this bottling for quite a while. Two years ago, we had a 2007 that he bought on release, and it was excellent. I did not write a formal tasting note at the time, but my recollection matches the second half of your note. I found somewhat limited fruit for his infant with a strong, powerful roasted flavor to it, spice, smooth pepper and some herbs. I thought it was outstanding and periodically remember look for it at auction, but can’t seem to find any.

Thanks, Tom - I’ve been interested in their Jimsomare for some time, but haven’t pushed the button as of yet…will be doing so soon, during my next Ridge order. Cris Whetstone has also sung its praises

I tend to buy Ridge wines at retail rather than from the winery - including today where I picked up some 2018 Geyserville. I am fascinated by Jimsomare because I have had some excellent Cabs from the vineyard but have never had a Zin from there because I tend not to see them at retail. Someday, I will have to remedy that. Thanks for the notes.