TN: 2018 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py

I admit to being a bit concerned after seeing this end up at 14.5% ABV and a couple of other reports from fellow Berserkers but my fears are assuaged.

It is what it is: a hot vintage of a great terroir made by talented winemakers. Blue and purple fruits, with a touch of gravel, a meaty savouriness, and a “high-toned” quality to the acid that keeps it fresh and vibrant. Silky texture, present but unobtrusive tannins. It’s definitely more Grenache than Pinot Noir on the Gamay expression scale that William Kelley and others here have detailed (Gamache?) but I don’t think it’s flabby/jammy/extracted/hot at all. The 2016 is still the gold standard for me but I wouldn’t kick this one outta bed for eating crackers, even if it may not be the longest-lived version of this cuvée.

I decided to pop this because the SO made delicious ribs with a sugary rub. I took a chance that it would work out and it ended up being a good marriage, with the wine cutting through the fatty pork and having enough body to run alongside.

1 Like

May G-d have mercy on your soul.

1 Like

They were so delicious even YHWH made them kosher a posteriori.

Sorry - can’t tell whether this is meant to be anti-semitism or it’s just a bad joke.
Alex

Hmm. Doesn’t seem worse to me than your “may G-d have mercy…”.

14.5 for a bojo? I hope that is not a trend.

I’m from a part of the American South where they don’t use any sugar in a pork rub. My post was about sugar in a pork rub. That’s a no-no. The sugar burns over the course of the cook. Some folks put it in the mop or the sauce. I’d debate them about that. Sean responded with what I take to be a joke about orthodox jewish law. It’s not something I would joke about regardless, but it has nothing to do with what I said and it’s only Sean that drew the connection to Judaism and my post and thought it appropriate to make a joke about it.
A

Thanks for the explanation. I understood all that and still think his response/joke was no worse than yours. Other folks may have different sensibilities.

Cool, I’m sure he didn’t mean it that way. Based on every thread I’ve read, Sean seems like a decent guy.
A

I’m Jewish. The ribs were good, the wine was good.

Me too. But I would never make a joke about orthodox customs. I’m not orthodox.
Alex

Super confused. You use a typical Jewish shorthand for God, G-d. Used since an observant Jew won’t write out his name. Sean replies with an abbreviation for Yahweh.

Alex I took your joke to be about the use of sugar, but within the context of it being forbidden by religion. If you used God instead of G-d it would have been clearer that if wasn’t referencing Jewish customs.

I popped one of my 2009s about 3 or 4 months ago, for the first time since at-release purchase. Truly enjoyed it, had 13% on the label. I’m not much of a Beaujolais drinker, but based on that, I don’t think 14%+ on these would be my cup of tea.

~14% seems pretty typical for a few recent vintages…foillard athanor 2015 is a whopping 15.5%

Pronounce it Adonai, if you like.

Anyway, back to the subject of יין; I really didn’t feel that it was excessively alcoholic. The fruit quality was definitely less classically red, pure, crunchy fruit and more deep and broad but it was still vivacious and still recognizably Gamay/Beaujolais.

I tried the 2017 a year ago and found it very enjoyable at 13.5% ABV, albeit slightly chilled as it should be. 14.5% feels like such a jump that I’ll happily leave this vintage to others.

Having had the wine once, I’ll happily leave all the remaining bottles of this vintage to others.

Sure, it’s a quite balanced and tasty effort - for a Grenache. However, as I’m not much of a Southern Rhône drinker, this wine really does nothing for me. Especially when I’m looking for a good, classic Bojo. No matter what others say, I found the wine so boozy upon tasting it I needed to grab the bottle to check out the alc% - and was floored to find the wine clocking at 14,5%. Well, it certainly tastes like that.

Wait for the new 15% ABV Châteauneuf-du-Gamay AOC [wink.gif]

I can hardly wait! [snort.gif]