TN: 2012 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Himmelreich Riesling Eiswein (Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer)

• 2012 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Himmelreich Riesling Eiswein - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (8/2/2020)
    Pale gold with a nose of tropical fruits dipped in honey. On the palate a kaleidoscope of tropical fruit flavors, clover honey, minerals and a nice acidic streak. While quite sweet, there’s enough acidity to balance the sugar and the wine dances lightly on the palate. Finishes long.

Brilliant wine making. (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I don’t always score wines and I dithered over the points, but I think it’s a fair number. In my top handful of stickies of all time.

A good Eiswein is a mind bending experience.

Agreed.

I saved half (of my half) so I get to do this all over again. I’m quite pleased.

Yes, mind-bending. But unfortunately, climate change is going to do (is already doing to Eiswein) what it has done to Kabinett. I suspect the Saar and Ruwer will hold out the longest, but eventually this will become a bit like vintage port - maybe 2 out of 10 vintages. More’s the pity.

The character of Eiswein has already changed. Used to be there were more botrytis-free (or at least almost free) Eisweins. Not nearly so many anymore. I miss those.