TN: 2018 Pieropan Soave Classico (Italy, Veneto, Soave Classico)

• 2018 Pieropan Soave Classico - Italy, Veneto, Soave Classico (8/4/2020)
    Without question this is my go to white for the summer of 2020. A glycerol texture suggests sweetness, but this perfectly dry with an satisfying combo of fresh squeezed lemon juice and herbs such as oregano. Closing with a mild touch of flint. Character driven, cool label, and $18. Yes. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Right there with you. I have not tried an 18 yet, though I have a couple. I’ve been pounding the 15 Calvarino thanks to WineBid coupons. Thanks for the early check in on this one. Sounds great.

+1. Had it recently on a very hot day along with the basic Trimbach Riesling and both hit the spot on that sweltering afternoon.

FYI - Wine.com seems to have the Classico and the Calvarino and the Rocca.

Ive also been pounding the straight 15 ‘Soave’ that was available for $10 locally, certainly these whites can hang around a good spell.

Checked total wine, nothing available to ship in California and only La Rocca available for pickup in California. Would otherwise be a great use for otherwise useless Total Wine coupons (if not excluded0.

My Bad Barry, Wine.com.

Multitasking not so well this Tuesday :wink:

Normally love this SKU but the last two 2018 Calvarinos I tried (within a few months of today) have seemed a touch out of joint, with acids becoming prominent in a distracting way. Feels like time to lay them down for a bit.

Does anyone have experience with the 2019 vintage, and any notes on how it may compare to 2018?

PXL_20220329_014557081.jpg
On a cold, drizzly atypical day I opened the 2019 Pieropan ‘Classico’ [Soave] to go with some teriyaki meatballs and vegetables. Its 12% abv, light bodied, with a medium+ level of acidity. One of my siblings likes this producer and had suggested it; it’s certainly more in their wheelhouse of zippy lighter whites. Citrus on the nose, grapefruit pith on the palate. Also lots of green apple notes, so a wine for those who would pick that variety at the store over a juicy Fuji or a sweet Gala. It’s solid, and if one likes this ilk of wine, delivers on expectations. Screwcapped. Perhaps I would have been more jazzed up for this after a bike ride on a 100F day! In my ledger, a B but good quality / technically well made.

1 Like

Always surprised me to not see the pushback on Gallo + Pieropan, but the disdain for Constellation + Schrader.

Does Gallo own Pieropan? I thought they just distributed it.