The world's most expensive wines- from Wine Searcher

You may want to make out your list before reading it.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2020/07/the-worlds-most-expensive-wines

If you can’t afford to buy cases, you can’t afford the wine. Amirite?

[rofl.gif]

So one bottle of DRC or 9,689 bottles of Two Buck Chuck.

Collect them all :slight_smile:!

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

Well played

far as I’m aware, ignoring random old vintages that are ridiculous expensive because of rarity, this is the most expensive 750ml wine in the world - Liber Pater to release world’s most expensive wine - Decanter

no idea if the secondary market supports its pricing, or if it sold out though

I would like to see a study by quantity produced.
For example, we all know DRC makes some tasty wines but in small quantities.

What if we eliminated any wine made made in quantities less than 24,000 bottles???
Less than 120,000 bottles.

And what if we said, Made fewer than ten years ago…

I’m surprised to see no Barolo in the top 50. Despite all the price increases in Piedmont, it is still a relative bargain region. How much do you think the region’s prices are going to grow further? Would you say this might be a golden era of buying before we approach the heights of Burgundy or are prices never going to get that high?

Top 50 List:

https://www.wine-searcher.com/most-expensive-wines

Is Petrus the only bottling greater than 24k on this list?

Sometimes, I feel embarrassed about the society/world I live in.

Not saying that out of envy, not impugning anybody, just pondering my world.

Excellent idea if you mean “exclude wines That began production fewer than 10 years ago”. Liber Pater shows up in the top 50 and it has zero track record and is made in vineyards that deserve $15/bottle. It’s like what would happen if Kanye West moved to Fronsac and started “making” wine.

I assume their business model is try to sell a couple hundred bottles to suckers and then bulk off the rest for de Negoce #42.

No idea. Given they only produce like 400-500 bottles, I suspect there are probably enough people in the world who want to try 19th century style Bordeaux…

though the most recent vintage is ludicrously priced. I can see the argument on historic vintages where, say, you’re between a bottle of Petrus and Liber Pater and decide to go for the Liber Pater because you’ve got a well stocked Petrus cellar arleady, but when you’re talking about a case of Petrus versus one bottle of Liber Pater…

It’s mentioned in the article:
“the only Left Bank representative the maverick Liber Pater, which remains below the $5000 mark, despite the release price of its latest vintage sitting at $34,000.“

Although I´ve had the luck to taste almost all of the top 10 in this list (except the Port and the d´Auvenay Batard) due to some wine-friends I´m not in the state to buy any of these myself, sacrifying my income of almost 4-5 months for it.
In our global world there are so many wealthy people around, often with a longing for prestige more than for connoseurship, who do not care if a bottle is 1.000, 10.000 or 25.000+ bucks, as long as they simply “WANT IT”.
I cannot and do not want to compete on this financial level, although I would not hesitate to join a tasting paying 500-1.000 for some rare and great wines.
In my experience a fine and mature Romanee-St-Vivant “can” be even more satisfying than a Romanee-Conti (not that I had that many of the latter),
and a L´Eglise-Clinet can be more impressive than a Petrus (depending on vintage and bottle).

Sorry. Couldn’t resist. Today’s comic.
49BC294B-19AB-4E82-97D3-F27C26090293.gif

It’s kind of genius. If there’s nothing out there like it, what do you have to compare it to?
“This wine sucks”
“That’s just because you have a modern palate … this is authentic 1800s Bordeaux”
“Oh… maybe so?”

Hahaha, well, true! Though given they’re using the same grape varieties on pre-phylloxera roots etc as I understand it, I’d hope its not a million miles off!