Wine and the NBA bubble in Orlando

Baxter Holmes has been on the NBA-Wine beat for a while, and he has another fun story on wine in the NBA bubble.

Portland Trail Blazers guard CJ McCollum’s hotel room constitutes a wine fridge of sorts. He keeps the temperature around 60 degrees when he’s inside it and in the mid-to-high 50s when he’s not, all in an effort to protect the 84 bottles that he keeps in boxes, out of the light.

Dude could probably throw a couple mini fridges in there and save the hotel some $$$ on energy costs and himself some suffering.

For the most part, McCollum shipped in pinot noir from Oregon, where he is a member at several local wineries, along with the first bottling of his own recently released wine, McCollum Heritage 91, also an Oregon pinot noir.

McCollum and Anthony have enjoyed several bottles together, including McCollum’s new label. It’s a far cry from the times they’ve visited Oregon wineries together, engaging in barrel tastings and staying long after closing time, discussing the wine, guessing the soil types and vintages.

Alright, spill the beans Oregon peeps. Who has been hanging with CJ and Melo? Jim, Vincent, Todd, Marcus…maybe Ken Pahlow with his basketball roots?

It seems like an easy marketing move from the Oregon peeps to send a few complimentary bottles to CJ and Melo. Might lead to a decent return if you can get the bottles in their hands?

Enjoyed the article and thanks for sharing.

James

There is a picture on Carmelo’s instagram with what looks like a flight of 4-5 bottles of Adelsheim.

Fun article here → Inside the NBA bubble's unofficial wine club

“ There has been Bordeaux and classic Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, and Redick has been introducing Hart to the wonders of Burgundy. Hart is quick to note, though, that Redick has been in the NBA longer and can more easily afford such wines.

“See, you can do that,” Hart says he told Redick with a laugh. “You’ve been in the league for 15 years, built up some nice paydays. Burgundy is expensive. I’m still on my rookie deal, my man.” “

I do smile a little when I think that both JJ and Howard might be enjoying the same bottle of Burgundy at night :slight_smile:

My good friend Baxter Holmes wrote a fun article for ESPN about wine drinking in the NBA bubble - he talked to a few serious wine lovers in the bubble including JJ Redick, Josh Hart, CJ McCollum

Some fun notes

Redick has been introducing Hart to the wonders of Burgundy. Hart is quick to note, though, that Redick has been in the NBA longer and can more easily afford such wines.

“See, you can do that,” Hart says he told Redick with a laugh. “You’ve been in the league for 15 years, built up some nice paydays. Burgundy is expensive. I’m still on my rookie deal, my man.”

Per Vernon Peterson, a member of the NBA’s facilities team, for all the packages coming in, one type stands out. “Definitely wine,”

Multiple players have shipped in wine fridges to their hotel rooms

I saw this too and have it queued up to read. Looks most dope.

Sounds like LeBron and Melo need to give some lessons:

Philadelphia 76ers forward Tobias Harris posted a video to Instagram of 2018 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa Valley that was gifted to him by his close friend and ex-teammate Boban Marjanovic of the Dallas Mavericks. Utah Jazz forward Royce O’Neale posted an Instagram video of himself drinking former Rockets star Yao Ming’s Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, which appeared to be in a paper cup.

CJ did get a case of Walter Scott sent to him in the bubble! One of the first wines he popped was a WS pinot

Pretty funny when an NBA player - albeit a role player - comments that Burgundy is expensive. Can’t hate on JJ Redick for enjoying his PYCM.

Can someone please explain to CJ et al. that keeping wine at room temperature for a few weeks and simply icing the bottles down before serving would not be a problem?! [cheers.gif] Awesome that he’s gotten involved in the Oregon wine scene!
Regards,
Peter

Loved that article.

Thanks for posting it!

My favorite part…

"At his hotel in Orlando, Redick did not see any such wines available, or anything close.

“OK,” he thought to himself. “I need to remedy this.”

Redick dialed his New York-based wine broker and immediately asked him to send a shipment. Then Redick went online to purchase an 18-bottle wine fridge for his room – something to keep the bottles at the appropriate temperature, ideally around 55 degrees Fahrenheit…

…So, Redick says, being able to open a bottle at the end of the day and share a glass at a distance with fellow players brings something beyond normalcy and comfort.

“It provides an escape,” Redick says."

Us oenophiles share some great characteristics!

Reddick should have just called Carnes and Alfert to bring him some stuff. Between the two, they could have sourced great rhones and burgs. But then again, they’d have to know who Redick is. Enter Fu and me.

Clearly Redick needs to get on Wineberserkers so he can get his fix same-day.

This is as good a place as any to drop this. We need to get Will to post here

Kane, you put us together, Bobby and I will deliver the goods. Haha.

And if you’re talking JJ I certainly know who he is. One of the greatest pure shooters of all time. Reminded me of Billy McCaffery of Vanderbilt fame. Of course my all time favorite dookie is Bobby Hurley…

Redick drinking Rhys Skyline Pinot Noir (a bit young, though).

-Al

Popovich is well known as a wine lover and vineyard investor

Marc Lasry owns the Milwaukee Bucks and Kistler. Solid hobbies!

Tom

Let us get to the key question. How do we get Popovich, Reddick, Hart, etc., to participate in Wine Berserkers. They would learn a lot and we would have a ton of fun getting to know them.

Apparently, adding a blue check mark to your handle is the sure fire way to attract celebrities.