Visiting Beychevelle

Hi all,

Just back from our annual holiday in Soulac, on the tip of the Médoc. As Neal Martin pointed out in a Vinous Chablis article last week, in mid-pandemic, much was the same, much was different. The resorts were just as crowded as usual, but with far less foreign tourists and far more French. Social distancing on Atlantic coast beaches is the norm every year, so no problem there. In towns, people’s behaviour was troubling, to say the least, with few masks worn except in shops and only then after it became compulsory, a week after we arrived. We were not surprised to learn from locals that there were several clusters of Covid cases in the area, with a large campsite forced to close in a neighbouring town. None of this had appeared in the French media and there is clearly a lot of reluctance to admit that there are problems.

Apart from the usual surfing and cycling, we wanted to repeat last year’s fun châteaux visits. This was both difficult to organize and very simple. The difficulties stemmed from the large number of châteaux which were closed to visits (eg Pichon Comtesse and Mouton). Those which were open, however, were more than happy to see us - very few visits were being booked, mainly I suspect because of the change of clientele. There are lots of French wine aficionados but they are not the sort to take their holidays in the Médoc, so the vertiginous drop of the number of foreign tourists had a big impact, especially the high rollers we saw last year.

This year, we focused on Saint Julien and Margaux, with three visits to “conventional” domains and one unconventional. I’ll do them in separate threads to avoid boring the pants of you with a really long one.

Château Beychevelle

There are several types of visit - we chose the “Secrets of the Winegrower” tour, a private visit costing 45€ per adult. Our visit began with a sort of slideshow/film, in the former cellar, with a commentary by our guide, about the history of Beychevelle. It was very well done, much more interesting than the usual potted history you get. Then we were taken outside to see the vines and as luck would have it, the domain’s two horses were busy working the soil between the rows of vines:

Here you can see the vines and how advanced the grapes are this year, with the impressive new winemaking facility in the background:

I’m no expert, but the vines here and elsewhere looked a lot less burnt than in 2018 and 2019. There is a heatwave beginning today, but otherwise the heat has been less intense this year and I suspect that the rainy spring allowed the soil and vines to take on bigger reserves of water. The rain also explains 2020’s big problem everywhere in the Médoc - mildew.

We then visited the space age winemaking facility and new cellar underneath:

Once you have seen one cuvier and cellar, you’ve seen them all - but this was certainly the most attractively designed we had seen.

Then we went back into the old château and descended stairs into the old cellar, underneath the garden. This was wonderful - like going back in time: the lights didn’t work so we all had to use our phones’ lights. Unlike in most châteaux, Beychevelle’s private collection is really in a proper underground cellar, with natural temperature control and bona fide cobwebs.

Finally, we arrived at the tasting room where we could remove the masks. Very cleverly, our guide had decided to make us do a blind tasting of four wines. They were mixed up, but not hard to identify because of the colour and aromas, so we did pretty well.

The first wine was Les Brulières 2015, their Haut-Médoc (we got the wine and vintage right!). Not bad but nothing special, easy to spot because it lacked the St.Julien spice, like a decent CB but more expensive.
The second wine was Beychevelle 2006 (right wine, wrong vintage - we guessed 2004). Quite advanced, surprisingly so, with lots of suave forest fruit but a tinge of autumn leaves.
Next up was Amiral de Beychevelle 2016 (we nailed this one!): much more St;Julien than the Brulières, very spritely and clean, but not memorable.
Finally, Beychevelle 2010. After the Amiral, easy to spot, and clearly younger than the 06, with that high-toned spicy character typical of other 2010s, so we guessed right. Much more impressive than the 06, the fruit was tauter and this is clearly going to be great in a few more years.

The tasting was really good fun and an excellent exercise for our girls, going to and from the four glasses to understand the differences.

Finally, we visited the beautiful gardens:

In the distance, you can see the Gironde - Beychevelle is one of the most visually attractive properties in the Médoc. We left our guide and went to buy a picnic, which we had at the Port de Beychevelle, at the bottom of the garden:

Here you can see a traditional carrelet. Looking at a post of last year’s visits I realise I posted almost the same photo then too - but this one has no clouds! If you are visiting châteaux in Pauillac or Saint Julien, I highly recommend buying sandwiches or salads in the main bakery on the quai at Pauillac and then heading here. It’s not hard to find, you just follow the road after Beychevelle’s entrance. There are lots of picnic tables and benches. The only problem is that you need to get there early because the locals come and take all the spaces by 1pm. But the setting is wonderful, as you can see:

The Beychevelle visit was fun, but the only thing missing, like everywhere else, is a visit of the château itself. This is mystifying. In the Loire, there are dozens of châteaux to visit, many of which are fairly insignificant. In the Médoc, most of the châteaux are a lot younger but with massive interest for wine lovers - but none of them can be visited. It’s a huge waste. Obviously I can understand not wanting coachloads of tourists trampling all the carpets, but showing just a few rooms would make a big difference to the experience. Virtually none of the châteaux are lived in and the fact that they are only opened for corporate jamborees and other snooty receptions just reinforces the impression of the gap between the producer and the clients. I did write to the UCGB to suggest they bring the topic up at their next meeting - always worth a try!

Anyway we thoroughly enjoyed our visit of Beychevelle and although it’s the most expensive, I highly recommend it, especially if you are visiting with non-geeks (normal people!). The wines however did nothing to change my opinion about Beychevelle though - good but not exceptional and vastly over-priced for the quality.

Lovely pictures and write-up, thank you. A guest brought in, didn’t drink, and left for the staff a bottle of '86 Beycheville at our place last year and I could have sworn it drank like something from the late 90s at the latest. Was thoroughly underwhelmed, but they sure do have a wonderful property.

Thanks Sean! I actually have fond memories of the 86. But Beychevelle has never really done it for me. It wasn’t our first choice of visit, but Léoville-Barton was closed due to construction work - I think that they’re building a new winemaking facility. But visiting Beychevelle was fun.

Well played, Julian! Thanks for the pictures. Looks like I am more a fan of Beychevelle than you. An 89 mag not so long ago was particularly memorable.

Thanks Kelly - the 89 is the other Beychevelle I have fond memories of! I’ve got a 2000 in the pipeline so fingers crossed!

Beychevelle is a beautiful estate and the wines they’re producing today are better than ever.

Beychevelle and most other Bordeaux chateaux are closed to the public as they’re either considered private residences for the owners or reserved for specific business functions.

Thanks for sharing, awesome pics. I bought some pf the 2010 en primeur so good to hear how its coming along

Julian - Agree re the 89! Although haven’t had it in about 5 years

Cheers all - thanks Jeff, good to know that their investments are bearing fruit - I noticed on your excellent site that you had liked the recent ones.

Fantastic write-up, Julian! Thanks so much for taking the time to share it.

I am very fond of the Beychevelles of the 80s (including the less-heralded 83s and 85s) but they have become quite aggressive on pricing for what they produce so I have not invested in more recent vintages.

Thanks, Julian,

For the great photos and narratives; better vacation than we are having in land of President “Oh, forget about it”; been to Burgundy, but never the Medoc, makes me want to put on the list. Glad to see you’re educating the next generation as well :slight_smile:

Neal… Up to you what you want to spend. But not only are they making the best they’ve ever produced in the history of the estate, starting in 2015, (IMO not that much under Ducru,) but the wines sell for under $90 as a future.

Do you think that’s being aggressive ?

I agree with the first part, Jeff – each of us has to decide what we are willing to spend on any given wine. But this has become a ~$100 wine and there are very, very few wines I buy in that category. And I am no longer buying futures, so that is not an alternative to me.

Thanks all!

Joshua - if you like Bordeaux, the Médoc is fun, even more if you like Atlantic rollers. Just driving along the Route des Châteaux is an experience in itself because of the concentration of the big names. Seeing the Pichons facing each other, with Latour in the background, then Las Cases just a few yards further on…then the other St.Juliens…is amazing. Seeing them is so different to reading about them, because when you see that only a ditch can separate greatness from mediocrity (eg Cos L and Cos E) you understand the hazards of the geology produced by the glacier.

The only problem with the Médoc is that if your family don’t like wine and are scared of Atlantic waves and currents, there’s not a lot to look at, unlike places like the Loire, where they can look at proper châteaux while you go wine tasting. If so few big Médoc châteaux are lived in, it’s not just because Bordeaux has been bought by faceless conglomerates - the Médoc in the winter is a pretty boring place to live in, especially the northern part, which is about 90 minutes drive from Bordeaux and civilization.

Our girls have been surprisingly keen to visit the châteaux, which makes it all the more fun, reading up on all the boring technical stuff to ask the right questions - “so, do you use egg whites? Is there a vegetarian alternative?” I was humbled!

Neal - Beychevelle is an odd one in terms of pricing. I used to buy a lot when it was under 40€ and the 2001 was only 20€. It was fairly priced for the quality. Then the Chinese fell in love with the dragon on the label and all hell broke out. I sold all my stock because the prices had become too ridiculous to ignore and there was a lot of other wines I could buy with the proceeds. The fad passed but the prices never really came down and although I appreciate the ambition and commitment of the owners, I’d rather have a Barton for now.

I love this property. I know they are owned now by one of the insurance conglomerates but I have fond memories of a beautiful lunch and tasting with Philippe Blanc. My first time to have pike in red wine as a dish. It was delicious. The wines here are very feminine and elegant. A beautiful and historic property.

Actually Beychevelle is no longer in the hands of an insurance company - which I didn’t know until our visit - but a partnership between Castel and Suntory since 2011, although Philippe Blanc is still MD. Pike in red wine sounds interesting!

Going back to the fact that one is not invited to visit the château itself, the weird thing is that you can however dine and sleep there! There are 13 bedrooms, so it seems odder still that they are not shown to visitors.

This +100!

I think you sent me an 83 some years ago that was just lovely.

How is the 2000?