Back in the biz

Well, sort of…

I’m starting a part-time job next Saturday. The original intention was for this to be a post-retirement gig. However, I’ve delayed retirement until next May (at the latest). For now, it’ll be 2-3 days a month on the weekend while I have my full-time day job.

I’m going to be a tasting room associate at Ridge Vineyards (Monte Bello location). My wife figures I’ll spend all my earnings from that job at the winery. :wink::wine_glass:

I’d request that all my hours be paid in wine.

Congrats.

Funny, I retired about a month ago and I picked up a 2 day a week gig working at a tasting room for a local winery as well. I told my wife I trained my whole life for this job. Pour wine, shoot the sh*t, get paid. Amazed at the tips people leave after having a few sips of wine. [snort.gif]

Very likely. In college I worked a camera store on weekends and across the summer. When I got my W2, I realized I’d spent more at the store than I’d made.

You’re living my dream. Enjoy!

I think in old days they called this “pin money”, right? Enjoy your retirement!

What an awesome site to drive to and spend time in during those work days - well done!!!

Curious, what is the employee discount???

That’s pretty terrific Larry! Congrats!

This right here. I’ve been in sales my whole life. A tasting room gig to have fun once retired would be a lot of fun. Just have to relocate from the east coast.

I honestly don’t know.

Congrats Larry, that is awesome. Curious if you don’t mind sharing how the process to obtain the position Went? As a fairly prestigious winery I’d imagine you can’t just walk in off the street. Sounds like a perfect retirement gig, have fun!

Best of luck on the new role, sounds like a dream retirement job for just about all of us, myself included

In February, I got an email from a friend who I’ve known for 25+ years. He told me that a mutual friend mentioned that Ridge was looking for part-time tasting room folks. I contacted that mutual friend, who works in the same position as I’ll be doing, and he was my internal referral. I did a phone screen with the retail manager and an in-person with him and his assistant. This happened in early March before all hell broke loose. I got an email from the retail manager on Thursday wondering if I was still interested.

I had been in the biz doing wine retail sales in the mid to late 80s so this wouldn’t be my first time at the rodeo. Probably tasted my first Ridge wine in the late 70s. I joined the ATP program in its first year, but dropped that membership a few years later. All this was brought up in the interview.

Currently, Ridge is doing tastings outside and by reservation only for 1 hour slots. The indoor tasting area is closed. No walk-in customers. No picnics or outside food allowed.

Congratulations! We’ll be up for pickup and tasting next Sunday. I’m excited to see the MB location open for outside tasting again - parking lot pickup in Saratoga just wasn’t the same thing.

Congratulations, Larry! Looking forward to seeing you up there soon!

Ed

That’s really cool. I got the sense from the times I’ve been in tasting rooms (not that much considering how close we are tbh) that there were lots of semi retired / active / part timers involved. They seemed much more passionate & knowledgeable, and you could just generally pick up on that vibe from them.

I wonder if this is a trade where too much wine knowledge could be counterproductive. Do prospects really want to hear how smart their salesperson is…or would they rather be flattered / complimented on how brilliant / insightful / palatable they are?

Congratulations!

Good sales people ask questions.

That’s awesome, Larry. I’ve been to that tasting room once, on a road trip I took to CA in 2011. It was a great experience and was after a vineyard tour of Monte Bello. The people there were great and it’s such a beautiful spot up there up on the hill.