TN: 2018 Domaine Jamet Collines Rhodaniennes Syrah

Is this the best Syrah in the world for under $40? Outrageously good value for archetypal, exemplary Syrah - blue fruit, savoury character, and just a touch of olive juice. Kept lively by an animating spine of acidity and deliciously mouth-coating tannin. A touch of white pepper on the finish. How this drinks this well this young is a wonderful mystery.

Really great with a veggie lasagna and beloved by the notoriously fickle and unpredictable (when it comes to wine!) better half.

Great note Sean! Do you have any idea of how the wines of brother Jean-Luc compare with the Domaine’s? I don’t seem to find the Domaine wines over here, but his brother’s are widely available, and he has a Collines Rhodaniennes as well

not sean, but huge jamet fan and was very sad to hear they split. i’ve tasted most of the wines over the post-split vintages and i’m happy to say that JL is already doing quite well. the CR seems a bit darker and not quite as complex, but splitting hairs. i would not hesitate to try all the wines. for the time being, they seem to be selling at quite a discount to J-P’s. Not sure how long that will last.

Alas, have not had the chance to try the brother’s wines.

But I’m really more of a Van Halen than Van Hagar guy. [cheers.gif]

I’ve had the 2013 Jean-Luc Jamet Cote Rotie Les Terrasses, which I think was made a year before he had his own winery. Quite nice although not quite up to the regular Jamet but I’m optimistic (and haven’t yet tried later vintages). Apparently, Jean-Luc ended up with more Cote Blonde than Cote Brune, Jean-Paul’s holdings are more balanced between the two areas.

-Al

The grape composition changed as the years went on that improved the wine as time went on.

sub $30 locally - hard to beat at the price!

I like the Terasses, but it’s much more fruit forward, as opposed to the more structured profile I typically associate with Jamet.