Nothing screams "Summer!" like gazpacho, ceviche and Sancerre!

I spent hours both at our local farm and grocery store and chopping today’s harvest. Two separate ceviches, one fresh local halibut and one scallop, and an Americanized version of Catalonian gazpacho. The three were so acidic that I didn’t immediately appreciate the cut of the Sancerre. It was worth the time spent; my favorite meal thus far this summer. The wine was not a slacker either, but a less ripe vintage might have been closer to perfect.

2012 Alphonse Mellot Sancerre Edmond - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Sancerre (8/9/2020)
Ripe but balanced by crisp acidity. Generous citrus; grapefruit, lemon, lime, and a faint orange or kumquat note. A little honey and if you focus and don’t let the dense fruit distract, there’s a mineral limestone background. I prefer my Sancerre a little more austere, but there’s no arguing this is a beautiful wine.
Gazpacho Ceviche.JPG
For those of you familiar with the Pacific Northwest, that’s Portage, Lummi, and Orcas Islands in the background.

Making the most of 2020,

Warren

1 Like

Bellingham? And if you need cut why not Cotat :slight_smile: looks fantastic gotta say I’m a bit jealous right now!

Scott
Yes to both! There’s still time to do this again this summer, and there’s plenty of Sancerre in the cellar. The Mellot had been in the on-deck box (mini wine fridge) for a while. Next time, one of the Cotat cousins or maybe Boulay.
Cheers
Warren

Damn just the title made me drool! That sounds fantastic, thanks for the post.

Just wondering, would you deliver cross-border through Uber Eats? I would shell out hard-earned dollars for this. It sounds like an amazing meal!

It spoke to me because I recently had Peruvian sea bass ceviche (mild, not spicy) served with a colder than usual 2014 Paul Cherrier Cuvée Philippa. It worked beautifully. And it also got me in a gazpacho state of mind… I will make this happen this week. Thanks for sharing! [cheers.gif]

Hmm I made both ceviche (albeit with a Thai bent to it - i.e., with thai chilies and thai basil in addition to cilantro and fish sauce) and gazpacho yesterday but the only sancerre I own is either rose or Vatan Clos Neore. And that is young so not sure about that pairing. Maybe Aeris Etna Bianco?

I don’t know what vintage your Clos La Néore is and I understand your reluctance to uncork this too young. Besides, I think the cilantro, chilies and fish sauce would give it a hard time… I haven’t had a Sancerre rosé in some time (I think my last was Le Rabault from Joseph Mellot) but that might work. I remember them being pretty food friendly.

Warren,

Just spent time on Lopez Island and then camping in Deception Pass. Pacific NW in the summer is epitomized by your post! Way to go.

Cheers,
Doug

On the topic of gazpacho, something I’ve been doing for a little while now is adding to each portion three or four small (grape sized) balls of frozen avocado ice cream. That nicely contrasts the heat of the gazpacho. (Also Parmesan and or prosciutto crisps).

And with that I lean to spanish Blanco or, better, a rosado ; also fino, especially Manzanilla.

These.

Rosado and sherry are my preferred, too, with gazpacho.

Looking back at you from Orcas [cheers.gif]

No better place to live in America in the summer than WA.

Nice combo, Warren, hope we can share a glass soon.

Reading the title got me drooling - how about posting some ceviche/gazpacho recipes in Epicurean?

Love love love gazpacho

Doug,
Well done! I’ve been to both this summer. It is paradise out here, especially this time of year.
Cheers,
Warren

Scott,
Yes you are! You probably already know there’s a beautiful trail up Mount Constitution. It’s open to mountain bikes in Mid-September, and we try to ride it most years.
Cheers,
Warren

Kris,
Looking forward to it! champagne.gif
Warren

Fresh caught coon stripe shrimp with Burlotto rose and a Peruvian mussel chupe ( also foraged) off of Raft Island , South Puget Sound
AF9B60F8-256F-4B38-B853-36C10FA7692A.jpeg
93AD1014-9323-4294-8F72-DE4ED17D7013.jpeg

Sorry about the image quality, not sure what happened

My recipe for Gazpacho is my mother-in-laws.

Gazpacho Andaluz
3-4 lbs of over ripe tomatoes. If they have imperfections, even better just cut out the bad part and use the good.
1 onion
1 pepper (I use the large red peppers)
1 cucumber (you can peel the skin if you want)
1-2 cloves of garlic
2/3 cup of my Extra Virgin Olive oil. *I always end up adding more!
1/3-1/2 cup of Sherry vinegar.
1 tbsp course salt
1 tsp sugar

Cut all the vegetables and put in a big bowl.
Add the olive oil, sherry vinegar, salt and sugar together in a measuring cup. Mix it together with a spoon.

Fill the blender with the veges and then stir in some of the liquid mixture. I usually make in 3-4 blender batches. It will all get incorporated together in the end. The most important part though is that you need to have olive oil blended with the vegetables to make an emulsion. The liquid will change from red to orange. That’s what you want.
After it is well blended you’ll run it through the food mill.
Empty into a container. I use one with a lid and pour spout. Repeat all that until you have blend all the vegetables. If it’s too stronger thick dilute it with some water.

Gazpacho is supposed to be smooth. Add a couple ice cubes. It is served with garnishes that are finely diced (jamón serrano, hard boiled eggs, cucumber, onions, tomatoes, green peppers, croutons).

After it’s in the frig over night it will separate, just stir it up it will be fine.

That screams “summer” too! We have a similar view!

That sounds heavenly! Mine is Americanized, almost a cross between pico de gallo and gazpacho.

Cheers,
Warren

Old thread, but I finally got around to making gazpacho again and pulled your recipe up. Winner! It makes a big batch!

My personal slight modifications made: probably only 2/3 of an onion (a whole onion seemed like a lot), 1 red bell pepper (not sure which pepper you meant with “red peppers”, 1 seeded jalapeno, 1.5 cloves of garlic. Otherwise exactly the same.

Wife is very picky about gazpacho (hates all the tricked up cheffy versions out there) and loved this one. This one reminded me of the homemade versions I used to have around Sevilla when I used to visit fairly regularly. Thanks!