A lovely Branaire Ducru 2005

A few years ago, I had this at a press lunch, and thought it so good I sprung for a case. It remained unopened until we were looking for enough bottles to use for our local Zoom. Everybody gets the same wine, so it makes discussion a lot more coherent than if we each open a different bottle.

Decanted a couple of hours, I knew from the nose it was special during the decanting. The hard tannins which some 2005s suffer from had smoothed, and the wine had aromatics of red and black fruit, cedar, harness leather, licorice and lavender. The finish was long and easy. This is an underrated property anyway, but in 2005, they produced a really gorgeous bottle of Bordeaux. 95

Thanks Mark, that’s good to know - I shall look forward to trying one!

A wine I always enjoy (the 2000 was delicious not long ago) - glad the 2005 showed well for you.

I need to buy more Branaire Ducru. The 1982, which I had in 2005, was one of the greatest Bordeaux I ever had. I drank it along with 1989 Haut Brion from Magnum, 1975 Cheval Blanc and a bunch of the great wines and it was clearly the best period.

Opened a 2005 and a 2009 last night and agree that the 2005 is a wonderful wine with impeccable balance. The 2009 is not as refined or balanced in comparison and just seems a little rougher. The 2009 has more dark fruit and slightly more body and did pair well with the Flannery’s such that my wife felt that with food it was a much closer call between the two. I disagree and think that the 2005 is just a much better wine with or without food.

Was that the BWE dinner?

Was happy to see the note and even happier to see how much you liked it. I have an OWC that I was thinking of opening to try one. Hope I share the same experience.

Around 2005 I bought a case of 2002 for $30 a bottle. People caught on to how good these wines were and the prices zoomed, but now the 2019 pre arrival is back to reasonable.

Wow … very cool! Nice to see a 2005 classed growth showing that well now — hopefully a harbinger of others finally coming into windows of drinkability. [cheers.gif]