WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
AstridKG
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#2051 Post by AstridKG »

Last edited by AstridKG on December 8th, 2021, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K 3 3 L

Tags:

David Spitz

#2052 Post by David Spitz »

Eric White wrote: November 16th, 2021, 1:29 pm I'm back on the NDA train for a short ride. Picked up the 2019 Stay Home, with the 15% discount and $30 back from Amex it brought the price down to $12/btl, delivered. Also picked up Star Treatment and managed to refer a coworker, so $33/btl, 20% discount (found one I hadn't used!), -$50, -$30, brings it down to $13/btl delivered.
Curious if anyone has opened? Thoughts?

Rohit B

#2053 Post by Rohit B »

• 2014 Moundsman Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford (12/3/2021)
    Splash decant.

Nose is hot but underneath there is some beautiful dark fruit (red currant, cassis) surrounded by elegant oak. Palate is full body, red currants, good acid, sweet dark cherry. Finish has a hint of the classic Rutherford dust, red currant, cassis, wrapped together by smooth oaky vanilla and chocolate.

Honestly this is fantastic. 7 years old and it has easily 10 years ahead. The heat on the nose did blow off with some time, so maybe an hour or two decant is in order.

Drink now or hold for 5 years. (92 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
13 h @ n

B. Davies

#2054 Post by B. Davies »

I know someone who used my referral and the wine has been delivered, but I don't see any credit on my account. How long does that usually take?
WSET III
Accountant --> Boutique Wine Store Manager
Bill Davies

YLee

#2055 Post by YLee »

B. Davies wrote: December 4th, 2021, 8:28 am I know someone who used my referral and the wine has been delivered, but I don't see any credit on my account. How long does that usually take?
You should have received the credit
-¥ 0 ñ 9

B. Davies

#2056 Post by B. Davies »

YLee wrote: December 4th, 2021, 8:32 am
B. Davies wrote: December 4th, 2021, 8:28 am I know someone who used my referral and the wine has been delivered, but I don't see any credit on my account. How long does that usually take?
You should have received the credit
Okay, I thought something was awry... e-mailed customer support.
WSET III
Bill Davies

Nicholas S

#2057 Post by Nicholas S »

Has anyone recently received WA Amex Offer credits on multiple cards? I am still seeing the current WA offer on a second card after exhausting the offer last week.

Once you activate an offer on one card, the same offer typically drops off the Available list on any other targeted cards. There used to be workarounds for this, but they've been closed down as Amex cracks down on reward "abuse". In this current situation, I wouldn't be surprised to see a second set of credits post, only to be clawed back later.
S t a n d l i c k

Carter Pelham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2058 Post by Carter Pelham »

Nicholas S wrote: December 7th, 2021, 11:34 am Has anyone recently received WA Amex Offer credits on multiple cards? I am still seeing the current WA offer on a second card after exhausting the offer last week.

Once you activate an offer on one card, the same offer typically drops off the Available list on any other targeted cards. There used to be workarounds for this, but they've been closed down as Amex cracks down on reward "abuse". In this current situation, I wouldn't be surprised to see a second set of credits post, only to be clawed back later.
While I haven't seen Wine Access specifically pop up on both our cards, I have seen WDC on both cards, (1 at a time, 2 different times) and my wife and I both used the offers without issue.

HoosJustinG
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2059 Post by HoosJustinG »

Interestingly, I just got an email from Wheels Up with partnership info with Wine Access—including potentially a different version of the “collectors club?” Or they intend to charge Wheels Up members more because they have already shown themselves not to be price sensitive?

See the two screenshots below… One is via Wheels Up link and the other is just be a Google search for the collectors club.

There was also a link to “offsite selections” which I’m not sure if it’s actually a private stash or marketing fluff. Harlan, Bond, etc … none at mailing list prices — all retail prices.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

MatthewT
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2060 Post by MatthewT »

HoosJustinG wrote: December 7th, 2021, 12:29 pm Interestingly, I just got an email from Wheels Up with partnership info with Wine Access—including potentially a different version of the “collectors club?” Or they intend to charge Wheels Up members more because they have already shown themselves not to be price sensitive?

See the two screenshots below… One is via Wheels Up link and the other is just be a Google search for the collectors club.

There was also a link to “offsite selections” which I’m not sure if it’s actually a private stash or marketing fluff. Harlan, Bond, etc … none at mailing list prices — all retail prices.
that's hilarious.
I'm a Turk

YLee

#2061 Post by YLee »

2015 Ragnaie is a very good wine if anyone is looking for an Italian wine.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

ChrisMcElligott
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2062 Post by ChrisMcElligott »

YLee wrote: December 8th, 2021, 4:32 am 2015 Ragnaie is a very good wine if anyone is looking for an Italian wine.
I have been eyeballing that one for couple days.

HoosJustinG
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2063 Post by HoosJustinG »

So the “offsite selections” actually are not on the main WA site as far as I can tell. Currently those selections are:

‘16 Dana Lotus
‘17 Harlan
‘17 Bond Vecina
‘18 VHR
‘18 Timeless Rdd Wine
‘16 Bond Pluribus Mag
‘17 Dana Helms
‘15 Promontory Mag
‘17 Larkmead “The Lark Ascending”
‘18 Spottswoode Mag
‘16 Bond Quella Mag
‘16 Bond St Eden Mag
‘17 Bond St Eden
‘16 Clos St Hune
‘16 Bond Vecina Mag
‘17 Bond Quella
‘19 La Pelle Cab

None of the pricing is very good. Not bad on the Spottswoode mag, VHR and Clos St Hune. Bond/Harlan pricing is outrageous.

YLee

#2064 Post by YLee »

ChrisMcElligott wrote: December 8th, 2021, 5:35 am
YLee wrote: December 8th, 2021, 4:32 am 2015 Ragnaie is a very good wine if anyone is looking for an Italian wine.
I have been eyeballing that one for couple days.
I can't speak for others since it's matter of preference but I liked the '15 and '16.
The '15 on WA is excellent price if you have discount codes that you can apply to your order, amex offer and/or WA credits.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

YLee

#2065 Post by YLee »

HoosJustinG wrote: December 8th, 2021, 5:59 am So the “offsite selections” actually are not on the main WA site as far as I can tell. Currently those selections are:

‘16 Dana Lotus
‘17 Harlan
‘17 Bond Vecina
‘18 VHR
‘18 Timeless Rdd Wine
‘16 Bond Pluribus Mag
‘17 Dana Helms
‘15 Promontory Mag
‘17 Larkmead “The Lark Ascending”
‘18 Spottswoode Mag
‘16 Bond Quella Mag
‘16 Bond St Eden Mag
‘17 Bond St Eden
‘16 Clos St Hune
‘16 Bond Vecina Mag
‘17 Bond Quella
‘19 La Pelle Cab

None of the pricing is very good. Not bad on the Spottswoode mag, VHR and Clos St Hune. Bond/Harlan pricing is outrageous.
I wouldn't mind some VHR and La Pelle.
WA had the '18 La Pelle on their main page.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

HoosJustinG
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2066 Post by HoosJustinG »

Yeah VHR caught my eye and I’d probably buy that and/or the Clos St Hune if I had a good discount code. Luckily for me, I already have 3 bottles and 2 mags (+ 3 bottles of the extended age) of the ‘18 VHR, so I won’t be missing out. I wouldn’t hate a single extra bottle to break into in the next 1-2 years, though, because the rest of my ‘18s are being lost for at least 5 years.

Jonathan Jaggers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2067 Post by Jonathan Jaggers »

How do you access the "offsite selections"?
If there's a dog in the house, you're never drinking alone

HoosJustinG
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2068 Post by HoosJustinG »

Jonathan Jaggers wrote: December 8th, 2021, 7:39 am How do you access the "offsite selections"?
There’s a direct link from the Wheels Up app. The URL looks either personalized or like some degree of tracking is involved, so I’m not going to re-post it.

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2069 Post by Eric White »

David Spitz wrote: November 29th, 2021, 5:36 pm
Eric White wrote: November 16th, 2021, 1:29 pm I'm back on the NDA train for a short ride. Picked up the 2019 Stay Home, with the 15% discount and $30 back from Amex it brought the price down to $12/btl, delivered. Also picked up Star Treatment and managed to refer a coworker, so $33/btl, 20% discount (found one I hadn't used!), -$50, -$30, brings it down to $13/btl delivered.
Curious if anyone has opened? Thoughts?
I went ahead and popped one last night, decanted for about 3-4 hours in advance, kept checking on the nose during that time and it certainly went from fairly closed, to rich and robust. We had friends over, so I wasn't in note taking mode, but it is another great value. I didn't find it profound, but definitely a very nice wine, with plenty of fruit (darker fruit profile), good structure, fine tannins, and a good finish. I'm happy with this purchase.

Scott Brunson
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2070 Post by Scott Brunson »

I’d love a new sale code. I burned my AMEX codes on the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Carter Pelham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2071 Post by Carter Pelham »

Scott Brunson wrote: December 8th, 2021, 5:31 pm I’d love a new sale code. I burned my AMEX codes on the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale.
Their inventory right now is pretty tempting with even a half decent code. I think I've used up all of the posted ones.

David Buck
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2072 Post by David Buck »

Editorial Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 18 is up!

The regular getting some good reviews....tempted.... Thoughts on reserve??

YLee

#2073 Post by YLee »

David Buck wrote: December 10th, 2021, 8:24 am Editorial Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 18 is up!

I can't speak for Editorial but the Yesterday Reserve had mixed reviews.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Kevin S.

#2074 Post by Kevin S. »

YLee wrote: December 10th, 2021, 8:40 am
David Buck wrote: December 10th, 2021, 8:24 am Editorial Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 18 is up!

I can't speak for Editorial but the Yesterday Reserve had mixed reviews.
The 2018 Yesterday Reserve has a 92.9 rating on cellar tracker. That's a great rating for CT.
5 p 3 I I m A n

Kevin S.

#2075 Post by Kevin S. »

I don't think the two wines are at all related grape-wise, but just have the same name because of the journalist who introduced WA to the opportunities. Like all of these NDA's, the story sounds great and fishy at the same time. So the winemaker produces this fantastic wine, but can't use the vineyard name, so he bags the whole thing? Lots of names out there that he could use. Such a prestigious winemaker should be able to sell the wine based on reputation alone. Oh well. You pony up and take your chances!
5 p 3 I I m A n

YLee

#2076 Post by YLee »

Kevin S. wrote: December 10th, 2021, 8:56 am

I don't think the two wines are at all related grape-wise, but just have the same name because of the journalist who introduced WA to the opportunities. Like all of these NDA's, the story sounds great and fishy at the same time. So the winemaker produces this fantastic wine, but can't use the vineyard name, so he bags the whole thing? Lots of names out there that he could use. Such a prestigious winemaker should be able to sell the wine based on reputation alone. Oh well. You pony up and take your chances!
I thought the same vintage normal bottling and reserve were the same grapes.
However, only different vintages were different wines all together.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

B. Davies

#2077 Post by B. Davies »

I noticed all their NDA wines are pretty much oak bombs on their little wine tasting cards except the pinot noir... a bit of a shame they can't make ONE cab that's isn't maxed out on the oak monster.
WSET III
Bill Davies

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2078 Post by Michae1 P0wers »

B. Davies wrote: December 10th, 2021, 10:33 am I noticed all their NDA wines are pretty much oak bombs on their little wine tasting cards except the pinot noir... a bit of a shame they can't make ONE cab that's isn't maxed out on the oak monster.
I wouldn't put too much stock in those little cards. I had a Chianti from them which was described as low oak, when in reality it was egregiously oaky, modern, and unrecognizable as Chianti. On the other hand I've found most of the NDA cabs really good. Most Napa cabs see a lot of new oak, it's just a matter of whether there is sufficient fruit and structure and how long it will take to integrate. Some of these have been more traditional and in need of time, while others have been more modern and ready to go. All but one seemed like much more expensive wines than they were.

B. Davies

#2079 Post by B. Davies »

Michae1 P0wers wrote: December 10th, 2021, 1:45 pm
B. Davies wrote: December 10th, 2021, 10:33 am I noticed all their NDA wines are pretty much oak bombs on their little wine tasting cards except the pinot noir... a bit of a shame they can't make ONE cab that's isn't maxed out on the oak monster.
I wouldn't put too much stock in those little cards. I had a Chianti from them which was described as low oak, when in reality it was egregiously oaky, modern, and unrecognizable as Chianti. On the other hand I've found most of the NDA cabs really good. Most Napa cabs see a lot of new oak, it's just a matter of whether there is sufficient fruit and structure and how long it will take to integrate. Some of these have been more traditional and in need of time, while others have been more modern and ready to go. All but one seemed like much more expensive wines than they were.
I like pretty bold reds with minimal oak. Are any of the current NDA wines fitting that profile?
WSET III
Bill Davies

Jonathan Jaggers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2080 Post by Jonathan Jaggers »

B. Davies wrote: December 10th, 2021, 5:45 pm I like pretty bold reds with minimal oak. Are any of the current NDA wines fitting that profile?
Therein lies the rub, and why I don't buy NDAs: you have to rely on their over-hyped marketing descriptions, or take a flier on one and open it yourself so young that it's infanticide in order to determine whether it's worth going in on quantity

B. Davies

#2081 Post by B. Davies »

One bummer they don't apply the 10% discount to the Michelin box order so I think at the end of the day it's a $16.40 difference which could buy another bottle of weekday wine.
WSET III
Bill Davies

Tom Horn
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2082 Post by Tom Horn »

I had a case that was due today update in the tracking as "Damaged - Return to Sender". This was my first order from WineAccess, so not sure if it is best to reach out now or give it a day or two for the package to get back to them.

Has anyone else run into this before?

ray ormand
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2083 Post by ray ormand »

Yes, I contacted them the next day and they promptly sent out a replacement shipment.

B. Davies

#2084 Post by B. Davies »

They've always been good about sending replacements VERY fast... to me that's part of the premium you pay at WA.
WSET III
Bill Davies

B. Davies

#2085 Post by B. Davies »

Looks like they're offering Opus One 2016 and 2018 vintage.. any thoughts on which vintage is drinking better currently/has better aging potential?
WSET III
Bill Davies

Jonathan Jaggers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2086 Post by Jonathan Jaggers »

B. Davies wrote: December 16th, 2021, 10:01 am Looks like they're offering Opus One 2016 and 2018 vintage.. any thoughts on which vintage is drinking better currently/has better aging potential?
I wouldn't drink either for several years. Both great vintages, if I was going for one or the other I'd get the '18 and lay it down for 10 more years.

B. Davies

#2087 Post by B. Davies »

Jonathan Jaggers wrote: December 16th, 2021, 10:14 am
B. Davies wrote: December 16th, 2021, 10:01 am Looks like they're offering Opus One 2016 and 2018 vintage.. any thoughts on which vintage is drinking better currently/has better aging potential?
I wouldn't drink either for several years. Both great vintages, if I was going for one or the other I'd get the '18 and lay it down for 10 more years.
I suppose a follow up question is.. if you weren't able to get Opus One and it was out of stock would you consider Overture good enough if someone loves Opus?
WSET III
Bill Davies

YLee

#2088 Post by YLee »

B. Davies wrote: December 16th, 2021, 10:24 am
I suppose a follow up question is.. if you weren't able to get Opus One and it was out of stock would you consider Overture good enough if someone loves Opus?
"Good enough" is hard to define for someone else but for myself, no. I get only Opus One.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

B. Davies

#2089 Post by B. Davies »

YLee wrote: December 16th, 2021, 10:35 am

"Good enough" is hard to define for someone else but for myself, no. I get only Opus One.
I guess I consider it like right now Caymus is a bit hard to find and Quilt seems to be an acceptable replacement for now.
WSET III
Bill Davies

James Todd
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2090 Post by James Todd »

Wine Access seems to be sold out now and doesn't allow discounts. I've gotten some good prices on Opus from wine.com. half bottles combined with a filler using $50 off $200 codes combined with RMN 20% Cashback.

B. Davies

#2091 Post by B. Davies »

James Todd wrote: December 16th, 2021, 11:14 am

Wine Access seems to be sold out now and doesn't allow discounts. I've gotten some good prices on Opus from wine.com. half bottles combined with a filler using $50 off $200 codes combined with RMN 20% Cashback.
I'm able to add bottles to my cart, but yes it does stink promo pricing doesn't apply to many of the limited deals. It actually does deter me from certain offers.
WSET III
Bill Davies

Greg W

#2092 Post by Greg W »

Greg W wrote: November 16th, 2021, 2:03 pm Eric White beat me to it, but as thanks for the excellent info in this thread, I thought I'd contribute the new 2019 Stay Home cab that appeared in my mailbox today, with a list price of $20/bottle.

From the clues, this is pretty clearly from Sugarloaf Mountain Vineyard ("Bevan Cellars has crafted single-vineyard wines there. As have Chappellet, Purlieu, and Nicholson Jones.").

Here's Bevan: https://www.wine.com/product/bevan-cell ... moBarModal

Here's Chappellet: https://www.decanter.com/wine-reviews/u ... 2018-43288

Here's Purlieu: https://www.purlieuwines.com/wines/deta ... f-vineyard

Here's Nicholson Jones (which also notes that the vineyard is south of Napa, another hint in the WA description): https://nicholsonjones.com/vineyard/sugarloaf-vineyards

If you have a $50 off $150 and the Amex credit available, you can get 8 of these delivered to your door for $10/bottle ($160-$50-$30/8), and with a satisfaction guarantee, which seems like a no-brainer. Look forward to some tasting notes (and hope I don't hate it...).
Since I recommended this, I figured I should contribute a tasting note. TL/DR: I didn't hate it, far from it.

This is very opaque purple in color. Fruit-forward nose of blackberry, strawberry, and cassis, with some secondary cedar/lead pencil aromas. Balanced and well-integrated mouthfeel -- good cabernet character, no heat, ripe, well-integrated tannins, and not oaky. The word I keep coming back to is "elegant." If you preferred Napa cabs as produced in the early 90s (this reminds me of Pine Ridge in particular), I think you'll like this wine a lot. And (with the right discounts to stack), for $10 delivered to your door, it's a seriously good value.
W e 1 1 s

Bob Chapman

#2093 Post by Bob Chapman »

I don’t check the “autocorrect”. Palette, palate seems to be an issue with the kids who “correct” our writing. As for “insulting” - the response was for the d-bag who wouldn’t “pay so much” for a Champagne. When a D-bag spills their contents on me, I respond in kind.
Tyler F. wrote: November 26th, 2021, 5:03 pm
Bob Chapman wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 1:43 pm M1 P0

I disagree. You must like sweet soda. Get a Drinkmate carbonator and fizz up some cheap rose. Add a teaspoon of sugar. I bought a case of champagne- some “cheap” - Cavi, Etc. If you don’t like Wine Access, stick with Kirkland. Some people have really bad palattes.
If you're going to insult someone, you might want to try getting the spelling right. It's palate, not palatte.

YLee

#2094 Post by YLee »

2018 Shafer One Point Five. I tasted this wine and I really enjoyed it. Much more than I thought I would.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

B. Davies

#2095 Post by B. Davies »

• NV Vantz Clippert Champagne Brut - France, Champagne (12/23/2021)
    Pale yellow slightly golden color. Very fine bubbles. A lot of grapefruit on the nose. Apple, lemon, slightly yeasty aromas. Very light mouse. Good for those who don’t like aggressive bubbles. Little bit of lime on the mid palate, medium acidity, has a stone fruit under tone, touch of honey. The acidity is really mouth watering but pleasant… there is a good amount but it’s not aggressive. We both like enjoyed with Vietnamese. (91 pts.)

Drink now imo.
WSET III
Bill Davies

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2096 Post by Kevin Patrick »

Would someone like to whisper to the Wine Access inventory managers and encourage a Christmas ~20 year old Chateau Musar release in their Limited Availability category (i.e. volume purchase discounts)?

Asking for a friend.

Warren Taranow
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2097 Post by Warren Taranow »

Yesterday, I took delivery on three bottles of 2012 Bollinger Champagne La Grande Année I purchased for under $90@ including tax and shipping. I used a $90 Amex credit, and a new customer 20% discount code. That's great holiday gift for us!

Cheers!
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CellarTracker - WST
Instagram - Champagneopod

YLee

#2098 Post by YLee »

Warren Taranow wrote: December 25th, 2021, 12:21 pm Yesterday, I took delivery on three bottles of 2012 Bollinger Champagne La Grande Année I purchased for under $90@ including tax and shipping. I used a $90 Amex credit, and a new customer 20% discount code. That's great holiday gift for us!

Cheers!
Warren
Nice! I wish I bought more of this.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Rohit B

#2099 Post by Rohit B »

• 2018 Wine Access Cabernet Sauvignon Yesterday Oakville - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (12/25/2021)
    Checking in a year later. Should have bought more of this. Decanted for an hour or so.

Pours a dark ruby and totally opaque, which is to be expected for its age. The nose is brooding and serious. Black cherry, scorched earth, red currants, hints of cloves. Palate is rich, full-bodied, lots of black cherry, red currants, just enough acid to brighten things up. Finish has smoky tobacco, slightly drying tannins that are present but well integrated, and charred red fruit.

Drink now with a couple hours of air. This will absolutely improve with 3-5 years in the cellar, and through 2030. Fantastic wine and a great value. (92 pts.)

Have to say, the good WA NDA cabs are really good.
13 h @ n

Zachary Mancini
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2100 Post by Zachary Mancini »

Warren Taranow wrote: December 25th, 2021, 12:21 pm Yesterday, I took delivery on three bottles of 2012 Bollinger Champagne La Grande Année I purchased for under $90@ including tax and shipping. I used a $90 Amex credit, and a new customer 20% discount code. That's great holiday gift for us!

Cheers!
Warren
Bought 3 as well with my 20% off anniversary code!

Return to “Wine Talk”