WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
MatthewT
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#2151 Post by MatthewT »

That is so f'n crazy. I found the original email on the 750s, missed it somehow, and I can't believe they priced these at $250/bottle.

It's not sold out...when I click the link from my email I am able to buy a 3 pack. I am not.
I'm a Turk

Tags:

Ju1ian Dev1in

#2152 Post by Ju1ian Dev1in »

When they have it - I really like Henri Champliau Cremant de Bourgogne Brut Rosé especially at $20/bottle for a case. It was in stock a week or two ago - already gone. Luckily still have ~15 bottles but had been planning to re-up ...

David Crow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2153 Post by David Crow »

MatthewT wrote: January 18th, 2022, 7:05 pm That is so f'n crazy. I found the original email on the 750s, missed it somehow, and I can't believe they priced these at $250/bottle.

It's not sold out...when I click the link from my email I am able to buy a 3 pack. I am not.
Interestingly I get tons of emails from Wine Access but I don’t think I received anything about this offer. I only found out because I saw it on Instagram.

I do wonder who bought this.

MatthewT
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2154 Post by MatthewT »

David Crow wrote: January 19th, 2022, 1:06 pm
MatthewT wrote: January 18th, 2022, 7:05 pm That is so f'n crazy. I found the original email on the 750s, missed it somehow, and I can't believe they priced these at $250/bottle.

Interestingly I get tons of emails from Wine Access but I don’t think I received anything about this offer. I only found out because I saw it on Instagram.

I do wonder who bought this.
It was "a letter". Not a typical offer. Maybe you got it but missed it? From Vanessa. "A Napa Cabernet For The Finest Collections" is the subject.
I'm a Turk

J Liang

#2155 Post by J Liang »

Wow that Blanc des Millenaires offer didn't last long at all.
J u l i a

K N Haque
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2156 Post by K N Haque »

The Prager Hinter der Burg Grüner Veltliner is a really good if you like GV. IMHO it's better than the two other GVs up there right now. Unfortunately, the 2020 has gone up from to $35. The 2019 and 2018 were $30. I still regard the price as fair and if you can get it for $25 or less with discounts, that's killer QPR.
K @ m @ @ l

Ben Bruemmer

#2157 Post by Ben Bruemmer »

So I just tried the 2018 Yesterday Howell Mountain and have to admit I really did not like it. To me it was way too hot and aggressive with the alcohol (15.2) and completely out of balance. Short finish as well with the tannins not being integrated at all. I decanted for 2h and then decided to pour back and revisit on day two. Didn't really help.

Anyway, I have seen lots of good reviews of this so I am a bit surprised.

Mike R

#2158 Post by Mike R »

Ben Bruemmer wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 11:07 am So I just tried the 2018 Yesterday Howell Mountain and have to admit I really did not like it. To me it was way too hot and aggressive with the alcohol (15.2) and completely out of balance. Short finish as well with the tannins not being integrated at all. I decanted for 2h and then decided to pour back and revisit on day two. Didn't really help.

I had ordered one bottle of the Napa version of this wine with a mixed order and thought it was simply incredible the first time I opened it - one of the better wines I'd ever opened, not just the best white label wine. I bought another case of the Napa wine and then bought a case of the Howell Mountain 2018 Yesterday wine when it was released. Both of these wines have been a consistent disappointment in the months / years after. A hugely disappointing wine after that first one. I'm really not sure what happened to that first bottle, but it really was incredible. Oh well.
... 0 p 3 r

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2159 Post by Eric White »

Mike R wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 2:54 pm
Ben Bruemmer wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 11:07 am So I just tried the 2018 Yesterday Howell Mountain and have to admit I really did not like it. To me it was way too hot and aggressive with the alcohol (15.2) and completely out of balance. Short finish as well with the tannins not being integrated at all. I decanted for 2h and then decided to pour back and revisit on day two. Didn't really help.

I had ordered one bottle of the Napa version of this wine with a mixed order and thought it was simply incredible the first time I opened it - one of the better wines I'd ever opened, not just the best white label wine. I bought another case of the Napa wine and then bought a case of the Howell Mountain 2018 Yesterday wine when it was released. Both of these wines have been a consistent disappointment in the months / years after. A hugely disappointing wine after that first one. I'm really not sure what happened to that first bottle, but it really was incredible. Oh well.
I've never taken them up on it, but WA claims they back the wine to your satisfaction, so should both be able to arrange returning the wines and get a full credit.

Chris Crutchfield
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2160 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

Eric White wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 3:20 pm

I've never taken them up on it, but WA claims they back the wine to your satisfaction, so should both be able to arrange returning the wines and get a full credit.
Actually it’s a bit better than that. If you leave a bad review on a wine they will reach out and refund you without you having to send any remaining bottles back (within reason, so don’t abuse it). It’s great that they are willing to do that, few retailers would even consider it.

Mike R

#2161 Post by Mike R »

Eric White wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 3:20 pm

WA has amazing customer service, and have made me whole on more than one purchase that had issues. That said, there is nothing wrong with this wine, I just don't like it. If it was a non-NDA wine I'd reach out to customer service, but I feel like there is risk associated with these wines, so I feel guilty asking for a refund because I don't like it.
... 0 p 3 r

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2162 Post by Kevin Patrick »

Mike R wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 4:13 pm ... there is nothing wrong with this wine, I just don't like it ... I feel like there is risk associated with these wines, so I feel guilty asking for a refund because I don't like it.
Kudos to you for a refreshingly healthy attitude towards wine purchases and not abusing generous customer service.

I hold a similar view about other NDA wines that are popular on these boards. Nothing wrong with the wines but they don't match my palate well. So I simply dole them out to beginner wine drinking friends. Nothing ventured, nothing gained (or lost in this instance).

All that said, it's a shame your Howell Mountain wine didn't drink well. I've had fantastic success with those wines.

In December 2020 our wine group had a blind tasting with ~6 - 8 of the NDAs we purchased during the pandemic and they all drank well with only one "off" bottle. We meant to revisit it on the 1-year anniversary to see how the NDAs aged over the last 12 months but a raft of colds/flu/etc prevented us re-blinding the wines.

This discussion makes me want to round up the troops and check back in on the wines. I'll post notes if we pull it off.

Ben Bruemmer

#2163 Post by Ben Bruemmer »

Kevin Patrick wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 5:22 pm
Mike R wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 4:13 pm ... there is nothing wrong with this wine, I just don't like it ... I feel like there is risk associated with these wines, so I feel guilty asking for a refund because I don't like it.
Kudos to you for a refreshingly healthy attitude towards wine purchases and not abusing generous customer service.
Same for me here. The Yesterday wasn't faulty. It was just not to my liking, in which case it's on me for buying it. So wouldn't ask for a refund.

I have however asked for a refund before from WA when I received a clearly corked Bouzeron. CS was great and added credit promptly.

Rohit B

#2164 Post by Rohit B »

• 2019 Wine Access Cabernet Sauvignon The Big Ticket - USA, California, Napa Valley (1/29/2022)
    Opened in the glass for 2 hours.

The color is deep red/ruby but it's more transparent than I expected. Nose is pretty faint, but I would say dark red berries and cherries, maybe some oak support but nothing distinctly identifiable. Palate is medium full body, same dark red fruits, little bit of acid, no tannin to speak of. Finish is pretty lackluster but mimics the palate. Tails off quickly with dark red fruit and maybe a little bit of crushed rock over time.

Are you guys sure we're drinking the same wine? This isn't very good. Doesn't hold a candle to the other WineAccess NDAs like Yesterday 18, Concept Album 16, Radio Silence 17/18, Editorial 18, or even Phoenix 17. Reminds me a lot of the disastrous Ringer 19 but without as much residual sugar. Maybe I had an off bottle but I haven't had much bottle variation with the WA NDAs.

Drink now, I have no reason to believe there is cellaring potential here. (86 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
13 h @ n

Rohit B

#2165 Post by Rohit B »

• 2019 Wine Access Cabernet Sauvignon Commission - USA, California, Napa Valley (1/30/2022)
    Coravin'd into glass, aired for an hour.

Nose has lots is blackberry and blueberry for me. Swirling the glass brings out some leather and crushed rocks. Very inviting and rich nose overall. Palate is quite nice, medium-full body, not too heavy. Lots of berry fruit, balanced acid, and some rocky minerals. Pretty smooth. Finish is true cherry, good support from acid, slight minerality, some drying tannins but overall well structured. A touch of residual sugar shows (maybe I'm just very sensitive to it).

A very solid Napa Cabernet, especially for the price. Made by Julien Fayard and the quality shows. With consideration to the mess that WineAccess NDAs have become, this is a winner and can be purchased with confidence. Easy, friendly, fruit forward, enough complexity to keep things interesting. Solid 90 now, maybe a 91 if it cracks open with a year of bottle time.

Drink now or within the next 3 years. I don't think this is one to age. (90 pts.)
13 h @ n

Ryan P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2166 Post by Ryan P »

Went to buy a bottle of laherte freres brut nature for the upcoming zoom tasting and noticed they had billecart salmon rose for $95. So I grabbed one of those to hit $150. After discounts it was $83 for both bottles. Is that a good deal?

Never bought a bottle of champagne this expensive but figured why not at this price.
P 3 c 0 r @

HoosJustinG
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2167 Post by HoosJustinG »

FWIW I did join the Wheels Up collectors club out of curiosity. I was recently shipped a signed ‘10 Opus One with handwritten note by the winemaker as the Winter shipment. I’ll actually probably find a decent use for that bottle when we’re entertaining, so I’m not mad.
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

YLee

#2168 Post by YLee »

HoosJustinG wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 7:45 am FWIW I did join the Wheels Up collectors club out of curiosity. I was recently shipped a signed ‘10 Opus One with handwritten note by the winemaker as the Winter shipment. I’ll actually probably find a decent use for that bottle when we’re entertaining, so I’m not mad.
Where do I find this club?
-¥ 0 ñ 9

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2169 Post by CJ Beazley »

Ryan P wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 7:41 am Went to buy a bottle of laherte freres brut nature for the upcoming zoom tasting and noticed they had billecart salmon rose for $95. So I grabbed one of those to hit $150. After discounts it was $83 for both bottles. Is that a good deal?

Never bought a bottle of champagne this expensive but figured why not at this price.
What discounts did you have?
It's C(raig)

Ryan P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2170 Post by Ryan P »

$50 off $150 since it's my first time ordering from WA. Then $30 off $100 thru my American Express card.
P 3 c 0 r @

HoosJustinG
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2171 Post by HoosJustinG »

YLee wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 7:59 am
HoosJustinG wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 7:45 am FWIW I did join the Wheels Up collectors club out of curiosity. I was recently shipped a signed ‘10 Opus One with handwritten note by the winemaker as the Winter shipment. I’ll actually probably find a decent use for that bottle when we’re entertaining, so I’m not mad.
Where do I find this club?
If you have an active wheels up membership, there’s a link from within the wheels up app.

Ben Bruemmer

#2172 Post by Ben Bruemmer »

Ryan P wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 7:41 am Went to buy a bottle of laherte freres brut nature for the upcoming zoom tasting and noticed they had billecart salmon rose for $95. So I grabbed one of those to hit $150. After discounts it was $83 for both bottles. Is that a good deal?

Yikes. A quick peek on WineSearcher suggests these prices are definitely on the higher end.
Wineaccess has good deals for sure but if you are asking if these particular bottles are well priced before discounts then I'd say not really.
I picked up some Billecart-Salmon Rose last year at Zachys for $58 shipped.

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2173 Post by Michae1 P0wers »

Ben Bruemmer wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 4:22 pm

Yikes. A quick peek on WineSearcher suggests these prices are definitely on the higher end.
Wineaccess has good deals for sure but if you are asking if these particular bottles are well priced before discounts then I'd say not really.
WA does price high before discounts (and the discounts seem much rarer these days), but that's still a very good price for those two bottles. I love the Laherte BdB Brut Nature.

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2174 Post by Eric White »

Rohit B wrote: January 29th, 2022, 5:01 pm
  • 2019 Wine Access Cabernet Sauvignon The Big Ticket - USA, California, Napa Valley (1/29/2022)

The color is deep red/ruby but it's more transparent than I expected. Nose is pretty faint, but I would say dark red berries and cherries, maybe some oak support but nothing distinctly identifiable. Palate is medium full body, same dark red fruits, little bit of acid, no tannin to speak of. Finish is pretty lackluster but mimics the palate. Tails off quickly with dark red fruit and maybe a little bit of crushed rock over time.

Are you guys sure we're drinking the same wine? This isn't very good. Doesn't hold a candle to the other WineAccess NDAs like Yesterday 18, Concept Album 16, Radio Silence 17/18, Editorial 18, or even Phoenix 17. Reminds me a lot of the disastrous Ringer 19 but without as much residual sugar. Maybe I had an off bottle but I haven't had much bottle variation with the WA NDAs.

Drink now, I have no reason to believe there is cellaring potential here. (86 pts.)
I really wanted to disagree with this review. I decanted around 12:30, sipping now (5pm), and, well, I can't really disagree with anything here. I might be just a hair more generous with points, but yeah, this ain't going blow you away, and is about as far from the description as I can imagine. Glad I only purchased four, they won't go down the drain or anything, but definitely not up to the hype, or even close.

MatthewT
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2175 Post by MatthewT »

Eric White wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 5:09 pm

I really wanted to disagree with this review. I decanted around 12:30, sipping now (5pm), and, well, I can't really disagree with anything here. I might be just a hair more generous with points, but yeah, this ain't going blow you away, and is about as far from the description as I can imagine. Glad I only purchased four, they won't go down the drain or anything, but definitely not up to the hype, or even close.
Also only bought 4 (with a discount) and it's the first purchase from WA since Black Friday when I got an absurd deal on a 4 or 5 mixed NDA lot (with discount). Have not opened it yet, was going to wait 6 months. Just not a lot of interest in this stuff anymore given the quantity of de Negoce I have and the value it offers vs WA. People love WA customer service, etc, but that all goes into the margins. de Negoce is a skeleton company and passes the savings to us, lol
I'm a Turk

Tyler F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2176 Post by Tyler F. »

MatthewT wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 5:12 pm

Also only bought 4 (with a discount) and it's the first purchase from WA since Black Friday when I got an absurd deal on a 4 or 5 mixed NDA lot (with discount). Have not opened it yet, was going to wait 6 months. Just not a lot of interest in this stuff anymore given the quantity of de Negoce I have and the value it offers vs WA. People love WA customer service, etc, but that all goes into the margins. de Negoce is a skeleton company and passes the savings to us, lol
You can't return the turds that Cam puts out. Haven't ever had an issue doing that with WA.
Tyler Fabian

2022 WOTY Candidates -

Loading, please wait...

Rohit B

#2177 Post by Rohit B »

It's a shame you had the same experience I did. RockinCabs on CT had a very different experience, and honestly good for them. Maybe I just had an off bottle, but it's beginning to sound like there's a lot of off bottles [snort.gif]
Pull a cork and share your feedback, why not? Like you said you have a large quantity of DN.
13 h @ n

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2178 Post by Eric White »

Tyler F. wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 5:29 pm You can't return the turds that Cam puts out. Haven't ever had an issue doing that with WA.
I dunno, Cam says he stands behind everything, so I'm sure things would be made right if you had an issue. Also, the only kinda turd out of the 50+ cases I've purchases is the Napa Viognier - just can't get into that one. Everything else has been worth every penny.

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2179 Post by Eric White »

and honestly, I'm not even mad at this "Big Ticket", i mean, for what I paid (with discounts, sounds like same at MattT), it's not a terrible value, just doesn't even come close to the hype is all.

Tyler F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2180 Post by Tyler F. »

Eric White wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 5:32 pm
Tyler F. wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 5:29 pm You can't return the turds that Cam puts out. Haven't ever had an issue doing that with WA.
I dunno, Cam says he stands behind everything, so I'm sure things would be made right if you had an issue. Also, the only kinda turd out of the 50+ cases I've purchases is the Napa Viognier - just can't get into that one. Everything else has been worth every penny.
Ha, the Viognier is really a turd. I've already posted my comments about the other flops in the dN thread and Cam doesn't care to respond or just tells me to give it more time.

There is no way that Viognier or several of the cabs come around. They don't improve with a slow-ox, decanting, or any other treatment. I've sold off anything semi-decent and just totally done with dN. Not worth it for me, but nothing against others who have had a positive experience.
Tyler Fabian

2022 WOTY Candidates -

Loading, please wait...

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2181 Post by Eric White »

Tyler F. wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 5:36 pm
Ha, the Viognier is really a turd. I've already posted my comments about the other flops in the dN thread and Cam doesn't care to respond or just tells me to give it more time.

There is no way that Viognier or several of the cabs come around. They don't improve with a slow-ox, decanting, or any other treatment. I've sold off anything semi-decent and just totally done with dN. Not worth it for me, but nothing against others who have had a positive experience.
heh, yeah, I agree with you on that Viognier, it has changed in bottle since release, but change doesn't equal improve, and I still can't get through a bottle - even with company, lol. 3 or 4 left to deal with. I haven't had a bad Cab yet, however.

MatthewT
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2182 Post by MatthewT »

Tyler F. wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 5:29 pm

You can't return the turds that Cam puts out. Haven't ever had an issue doing that with WA.
Have not had a single bad bottle of red wine (almost all cabs or cab dominated blends) out of the ~40 cases I've tried and 100s of bottles. I think some of the whites/others have been mixed but not the stuff I've bought. Anyway, $15 vs. $30 is why you can return one and not the other.

Literally everyone hates the Viognier. That's one lot out of nearly 300. I don't even know what Viognier is.
I'm a Turk

Rohit B

#2183 Post by Rohit B »

Eric White wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 5:34 pm and honestly, I'm not even mad at this "Big Ticket", i mean, for what I paid (with discounts, sounds like same at MattT), it's not a terrible value, just doesn't even come close to the hype is all.
Agree completely. Not matched up to the hype at all.

Have to say, now that I’ve been to Napa and seen some wineries, there’s absolutely no way to know what you’re getting with an NDA. Sure, you can predict the source, but there’s no way to know ifit is young vines not ready for real production, pressed juice (rather than free run), a bad barrel, or any number of things.

For example, I was told point blank at Dana Estates that they didn’t make a Hershey vineyard in 2018 because they had laboratory testing showing smoke taint. Further, I was told when the Hershey 18 was tasted next to Lotus, Helm, and prior vintages of Hershey, it was very clear something was off.

This was the predicted source for Yesterday Howell Mountain 2018. Did we all bite on smoke tainted wine? Sounds like it. Based on my memory of the wine, there was something rough about it that didn’t resolve with extended air. That’s probably why Dana got rid of it. Ringer 19 was supposedly predecessor Estate red lake vineyard. What a mess of residual sugar that was. Was that a stuck fermentation that they got rid of? Who knows.

All I’m trying to say is, after having tried some of these $150-$300+ wines, it is foolhardy to believe the NDAs are the same thing. We have no idea what we’re buying.
13 h @ n

YLee

#2184 Post by YLee »

Thats why I said buying NDA wines is like buying mystery wines. I feel bad for people who has cellar full of NDAs. I bet every day they have to try their best to convince themselves they got a deal of the century.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Rohit B

#2185 Post by Rohit B »

Agree, and in my naivety I certainly fell into that trap. In hindsight, I’m ok with a “wine of unknown origin” being a good value at $30 (or $15ish for DN wines). Sure an NDA wine can be good, but equating it to the winery’s bottle is optimistic.
13 h @ n

Ben Bruemmer

#2186 Post by Ben Bruemmer »

Rohit B wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 7:34 pm
Eric White wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 5:34 pm and honestly, I'm not even mad at this "Big Ticket", i mean, for what I paid (with discounts, sounds like same at MattT), it's not a terrible value, just doesn't even come close to the hype is all.
For example, I was told point blank at Dana Estates that they didn’t make a Hershey vineyard in 2018 because they had laboratory testing showing smoke taint. Further, I was told when the Hershey 18 was tasted next to Lotus, Helm, and prior vintages of Hershey, it was very clear something was off.
Ah! This explains a lot. Personally really didn't care for the 18 Yesterday. Thanks for shedding some light on this.

So honestly, I and done with NDA. Love following the guessing game in these forums but I much rather buy a wine that the makes wants to stand behind then to get some dubious juice.

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2187 Post by Max S. »

Ben Bruemmer wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 4:22 pm

Yea, all the pricing is high, pretty much have to use discount codes or be the type of person who returns a lot of bottles for it to be worthwhile.
"And just to be clear, this is a post criticizing people who criticize people who criticize for a living . . ." - J Bloom
"Just remember the old saying, one person’s garbage wine is another person’s treasured burgundy." -JDavisRoby

5 w 0 m l 3 y

ChrisWolff
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2188 Post by ChrisWolff »

Allan Scott Sav Blanc now available for 17.50. 93 points from WS

https://www.wineaccess.com/catalog/2021 ... 0e253eb67/

http://share.wineaccess.com/v/chris_47

Ju1ian Dev1in

#2189 Post by Ju1ian Dev1in »

Rohit B wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 7:55 pm Agree, and in my naivety I certainly fell into that trap. In hindsight, I’m ok with a “wine of unknown origin” being a good value at $30 (or $15ish for DN wines). Sure an NDA wine can be good, but equating it to the winery’s bottle is optimistic.
First NDA I got was 2018 Halpin Oakville Cab. It was terrific and by the time I could taste it and try to order more it was gone. Then I figured some other NDAs might be good and tried 2019 The Ringer and 2018 Radio Silence. Then got an alert that Halpin was back - 2019. Didn't notice it wasn't Oakville, ordered a case. Sadly all three of these subsequent purchases were just ok. I might be done, too.

Bob Chapman

#2190 Post by Bob Chapman »

If it’s too good to be true, it’s too good to be true. You get what you pay for. WA doesn’t ask questions. Don’t like it? Refund or credit. International labels, shipping included, curated selection by serious wine professionals, proper storage. Cool pack shipping. Top customer service. It’s silly to do anything else. You can get investment grade wines from WA or take that risk with an NDA. Shipping is ALWAYS on time. “Matthew T” is probably paid to shill. Give them all a try. It’s a great time to be buying wine but more money in tequila and bourbon.
Tyler F. wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 5:36 pm

Bob Chapman

#2191 Post by Bob Chapman »

50 cases of De Negoce?? Eric White, that’s 600 bottles. I can’t imagine those as “investment wines”. What do you do with all that wine??? Do you get wine other than Cam’s??

Guillermo M
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2192 Post by Guillermo M »

Bob Chapman wrote: February 11th, 2022, 5:01 pm 50 cases of De Negoce?? Eric White, that’s 600 bottles. I can’t imagine those as “investment wines”. What do you do with all that wine??? Do you get wine other than Cam’s??

Almost half the posts you have ever written are about de Negoce. Give it a rest or go have a thread about it.
Guillermo M e n a

"Chardonnay is a weed." -- Jasper Morris

Zachary Mancini
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2193 Post by Zachary Mancini »

Never buy NDA wines. Too much of a crap shoot

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2194 Post by Eric White »

Guillermo M wrote: February 11th, 2022, 6:11 pm
Bob Chapman wrote: February 11th, 2022, 5:01 pm 50 cases of De Negoce?? Eric White, that’s 600 bottles. I can’t imagine those as “investment wines”. What do you do with all that wine??? Do you get wine other than Cam’s??

Almost half the posts you have ever written are about de Negoce. Give it a rest or go have a thread about it.
oh look, the troll I have on ignore, and never has anything valuable to add, is calling me out again! Oh, what shall I say? How about: IDGAF about you Bob or anything you say, buh bye.

MatthewT
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2195 Post by MatthewT »

The NDA haters who passionately like to tell us how much they passionately hate NDA wines I'm sure are loads of fun at parties.
I'm a Turk

Zachary Mancini
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2196 Post by Zachary Mancini »

MatthewT wrote: February 12th, 2022, 11:34 am The NDA haters who passionately like to tell us how much they passionately hate NDA wines I'm sure are loads of fun at parties.
I disagree with that sentiment. NDA wines are a gamble. If you’re willing to gamble on a wine go ahead.

MatthewT
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2197 Post by MatthewT »

Zachary Mancini wrote: February 12th, 2022, 11:45 am
MatthewT wrote: February 12th, 2022, 11:34 am The NDA haters who passionately like to tell us how much they passionately hate NDA wines I'm sure are loads of fun at parties.
I disagree with that sentiment. NDA wines are a gamble. If you’re willing to gamble on a wine go ahead.
The concept of it being a gamble is mostly nonsense. Many of us have tried 50 or 60 different NDA wines and found virtually all of them worth the money we spent on them. That's not much of a gamble.
I'm a Turk

Zachary Mancini
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2198 Post by Zachary Mancini »

MatthewT wrote: February 12th, 2022, 11:56 am
The concept of it being a gamble is mostly nonsense. Many of us have tried 50 or 60 different NDA wines and found virtually all of them worth the money we spent on them. That's not much of a gamble.
Sure. But even then it's still a gamble because you don't know who produced the wine...

cjsavino
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2199 Post by cjsavino »

2006 Beaucastel @$99 looks good. Had this a couple years ago and was excellent.
Chris

HoosJustinG
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2200 Post by HoosJustinG »

Zachary Mancini wrote: February 12th, 2022, 5:09 pm
MatthewT wrote: February 12th, 2022, 11:56 am

Sure. But even then it's still a gamble because you don't know who produced the wine...
No I think it’s a gamble because even IF you know who produced the wine (and/or grew the grapes, etc), you still don’t really know what you’re getting.

If Producer X in Napa has estate fruit and purchases fruit (as is common for many large producers) and some of the purchased fruit comes in not up to their standards, Cam/WA/etc can somewhat credibly claim it was “planned for a $XXX bottle program” or whatever the language is... but you still don’t really get the story, and honestly have no idea where the grapes are actually from.

Even if a culty producer has a true lack of demand at their “full boat mailing list price,” they’re not going to maximize revenue by bulking out their top cuvée as a shiner or even just fruit to WA/DN/etc. They’ll hold it back for the “library,” consign it out the side door to auction houses, or even just offer it to estate visitors at full price.

For example: Consigning just 10 cases @ $500/bottle = $60k before fees — let’s conservatively estimate net $50k.

To earn the same $50k giving it to Cam, who is going to sell it for let’s say $25/bottle, let’s work it backwards. Let’s say Cam needs to buy shiners at $10/bottle to make it profitable to sell at $25 by the time he transports the bottles, labels them, stores them, and pays his administrative overhead plus some profit of course. So $50k @ $10/bottle is over 400 cases of wine they have to let go. Much easier to slip 10 cases out the side door…

ETA: I used Cam/WA pretty interchangeably there, and it is definitely WA that tries to claim you’re getting $300-500 wine more often than Cam. You get the idea…
Last edited by HoosJustinG on February 13th, 2022, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Wine Talk”