WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Zachary Mancini
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#2201 Post by Zachary Mancini »

HoosJustinG wrote: February 13th, 2022, 7:43 am
Zachary Mancini wrote: February 12th, 2022, 5:09 pm
MatthewT wrote: February 12th, 2022, 11:56 am

The concept of it being a gamble is mostly nonsense. Many of us have tried 50 or 60 different NDA wines and found virtually all of them worth the money we spent on them. That's not much of a gamble.
Sure. But even then it's still a gamble because you don't know who produced the wine...
No I think it’s a gamble because even IF you know who produced the wine (and/or grew the grapes, etc), you still don’t really know what you’re getting.

If Producer X in Napa has estate fruit and purchases fruit (as is common for many large producers) and some of the purchased fruit comes in not up to their standards, Cam/WA/etc can somewhat credibly claim it was “planned for a $XXX bottle program” or whatever the language is... but you still don’t really get the story, and honestly have no idea where the grapes are actually from.

Even if a culty producer has a true lack of demand at their “full boat mailing list price,” they’re not going to maximize revenue by bulking out their top cuvée as a shiner or even just fruit to WA/DN/etc. They’ll hold it back for the “library,” consign it out the side door to auction houses, or even just offer it to estate visitors at full price.

For example: Consigning just 10 cases @ $500/bottle = $60k before fees — let’s conservatively estimate net $50k.

To earn the same $50k giving it to Cam, who is going to sell it for let’s say $25/bottle, let’s work it backwards. Let’s say Cam needs to buy shiners at $10/bottle to make it profitable to sell at $25 by the time he transports the bottles, labels them, stores them, and pays his administrative overhead plus some profit of course. So $50k @ $10/bottle is over 400 cases of wine they have to let go. Much easier to slip 10 cases out the side door…
I agree with this as well.

Tags:

David Buck
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2202 Post by David Buck »

Rohit B wrote: January 30th, 2022, 5:14 pm
  • 2019 Wine Access Cabernet Sauvignon Commission - USA, California, Napa Valley (1/30/2022)
    Coravin'd into glass, aired for an hour.

Nose has lots is blackberry and blueberry for me. Swirling the glass brings out some leather and crushed rocks. Very inviting and rich nose overall. Palate is quite nice, medium-full body, not too heavy. Lots of berry fruit, balanced acid, and some rocky minerals. Pretty smooth. Finish is true cherry, good support from acid, slight minerality, some drying tannins but overall well structured. A touch of residual sugar shows (maybe I'm just very sensitive to it).

A very solid Napa Cabernet, especially for the price. Made by Julien Fayard and the quality shows. With consideration to the mess that WineAccess NDAs have become, this is a winner and can be purchased with confidence. Easy, friendly, fruit forward, enough complexity to keep things interesting. Solid 90 now, maybe a 91 if it cracks open with a year of bottle time.

Drink now or within the next 3 years. I don't think this is one to age. (90 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
I see you gave it another great review beating Claudine 2016 Cab in taste competition..This is still available...Think I might grab a few.....

Rohit B

#2203 Post by Rohit B »

David Buck wrote: February 13th, 2022, 11:33 am I see you gave it another great review beating Claudine 2016 Cab in taste competition..This is still available...Think I might grab a few.....
I did, yes. Not just me though, two others in my (small) tasting group also agreed.
13 h @ n

Toby P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2204 Post by Toby P »

MatthewT wrote: February 12th, 2022, 11:56 am

The concept of it being a gamble is mostly nonsense. Many of us have tried 50 or 60 different NDA wines and found virtually all of them worth the money we spent on them. That's not much of a gamble.
Sure. But even then it's still a gamble because you don't know who produced the wine...
No I think it’s a gamble because even IF you know who produced the wine (and/or grew the grapes, etc), you still don’t really know what you’re getting.

If Producer X in Napa has estate fruit and purchases fruit (as is common for many large producers) and some of the purchased fruit comes in not up to their standards, Cam/WA/etc can somewhat credibly claim it was “planned for a $XXX bottle program” or whatever the language is... but you still don’t really get the story, and honestly have no idea where the grapes are actually from.

Even if a culty producer has a true lack of demand at their “full boat mailing list price,” they’re not going to maximize revenue by bulking out their top cuvée as a shiner or even just fruit to WA/DN/etc. They’ll hold it back for the “library,” consign it out the side door to auction houses, or even just offer it to estate visitors at full price.

For example: Consigning just 10 cases @ $500/bottle = $60k before fees — let’s conservatively estimate net $50k.

To earn the same $50k giving it to Cam, who is going to sell it for let’s say $25/bottle, let’s work it backwards. Let’s say Cam needs to buy shiners at $10/bottle to make it profitable to sell at $25 by the time he transports the bottles, labels them, stores them, and pays his administrative overhead plus some profit of course. So $50k @ $10/bottle is over 400 cases of wine they have to let go. Much easier to slip 10 cases out the side door…

ETA: I used Cam/WA pretty interchangeably there, and it is definitely WA that tries to claim you’re getting $300-500 wine more often than Cam. You get the idea…
$500 a bottle?! Who's selling $500 bottles out the side door that might otherwise get bulked out. Anyways, I also love the idea that wine producers themselves don't spin lofty fairy tales about their wines lol. It's all marketing to varying degrees guys.

As for "gamble", Matt is correct, there's not much gamble anymore - not much more than trying the new vintage of whatever producer you trust, if you've already come to trust the quality / value a seller like DN delivers (which most of us have given they've delivered phenomenal QPRs over and over). I'm not quite as convinced on WA NDAs as they are a higher price point where you are generally competing with a higher caliber known wine, but I haven't tried nearly as many. Buying stocks is also a "gamble" - you could lose money! You might as well put it all in cash! But hey, most ppl figured out long ago the reward is generally worth it for the risk unless you're hyper risk-averse.

NDAs aren't for everyone, obviously. But blanket statements that NDA wines aren't worth it are just silly at this point. They may not be for you, that's great, thanks for the input.
P r a t t

Bob Chapman

#2205 Post by Bob Chapman »

There is a DN thread for pushing that label. Use it.

Bob Chapman

#2206 Post by Bob Chapman »

This is a Wine Access thread. All you folks do is pump DN. Use that thread. STAY ON TOPIC. Pay for DN ad space on this thread. You aren’t buying 50 cases to “lay down” unless you are a serious alcoholic. Get a YouTube channel for your DN thread. Use influencers. Harassing me for suggesting you pump DN on its OWN THREAD is pitiful. It actually costs Cam business. Hell, he actually SOLD HIS NAME. IT ISN’T HIS PROPERTY.
Guillermo M wrote: February 11th, 2022, 6:11 pm
Bob Chapman wrote: February 11th, 2022, 5:01 pm 50 cases of De Negoce?? Eric White, that’s 600 bottles. I can’t imagine those as “investment wines”. What do you do with all that wine??? Do you get wine other than Cam’s??

Almost half the posts you have ever written are about de Negoce. Give it a rest or go have a thread about it.

Bob Chapman

#2207 Post by Bob Chapman »

Any good WA opportunity this month, or are you going to hijack this thread pumping a “competitor”.

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2208 Post by Max S. »

Bob Chapman wrote: February 15th, 2022, 10:17 am There is a DN thread for pushing that label. Use it.
People are discussing that label, that's what the forum is for.
"And just to be clear, this is a post criticizing people who criticize people who criticize for a living . . ." - J Bloom
"Just remember the old saying, one person’s garbage wine is another person’s treasured burgundy." -JDavisRoby

5 w 0 m l 3 y

Guillermo M
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2209 Post by Guillermo M »

Bob Chapman wrote: February 15th, 2022, 10:21 am This is a Wine Access thread. All you folks do is pump DN. Use that thread. STAY ON TOPIC. Pay for DN ad space on this thread. You aren’t buying 50 cases to “lay down” unless you are a serious alcoholic. Get a YouTube channel for your DN thread. Use influencers. Harassing me for suggesting you pump DN on its OWN THREAD is pitiful. It actually costs Cam business. Hell, he actually SOLD HIS NAME. IT ISN’T HIS PROPERTY.
Bob Chapman wrote: February 11th, 2022, 5:01 pm 50 cases of De Negoce?? Eric White, that’s 600 bottles. I can’t imagine those as “investment wines”. What do you do with all that wine??? Do you get wine other than Cam’s??

Almost half the posts you have ever written are about de Negoce. Give it a rest or go have a thread about it.
As somebody who actually pays to post here, unlike you: shove it. I have never pumped DN. I have bought exactly two bottlings from DN and tasted one. I am not the one discussing that topic here. I am the one who is sick and tired of you discussing it. You have a sick obsession with it, but we are not the mental health professionals you need.

CAN WE PLEASE GET THIS GUY BANNED?
Guillermo M e n a

"Chardonnay is a weed." -- Jasper Morris

Chris Crutchfield
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2210 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

Guillermo M wrote: February 17th, 2022, 5:59 pm
Bob Chapman wrote: February 15th, 2022, 10:21 am This is a Wine Access thread. All you folks do is pump DN. Use that thread. STAY ON TOPIC. Pay for DN ad space on this thread. You aren’t buying 50 cases to “lay down” unless you are a serious alcoholic. Get a YouTube channel for your DN thread. Use influencers. Harassing me for suggesting you pump DN on its OWN THREAD is pitiful. It actually costs Cam business. Hell, he actually SOLD HIS NAME. IT ISN’T HIS PROPERTY.

As somebody who actually pays to post here, unlike you: shove it. I have never pumped DN. I have bought exactly two bottlings from DN and tasted one. I am not the one discussing that topic here. I am the one who is sick and tired of you discussing it. You have a sick obsession with it, but we are not the mental health professionals you need.

CAN WE PLEASE GET THIS GUY BANNED?
Here’s the unsolicited PM this lunatic sent me last year:
My suggestion is you back off. I don’t have time for bigots. Maybe you
should not associate Mr. Cameron and his company wlth your threats and
harassment. He has investors. I presume you collect disability.
Mods here won’t ban him for harassing other members, so I doubt they will ban him for his other unhinged comments. Since he sent his message as an email, I could technically doxx him since it’s pretty easy to connect his email address to his other online social media accounts. I guess I will only do that if he continues his bad behavior.

ChrisWolff
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2211 Post by ChrisWolff »

$500 a bottle?! Who's selling $500 bottles out the side door that might otherwise get bulked out. Anyways, I also love the idea that wine producers themselves don't spin lofty fairy tales about their wines lol. It's all marketing to varying degrees guys.

As for "gamble", Matt is correct, there's not much gamble anymore - not much more than trying the new vintage of whatever producer you trust, if you've already come to trust the quality / value a seller like DN delivers (which most of us have given they've delivered phenomenal QPRs over and over). I'm not quite as convinced on WA NDAs as they are a higher price point where you are generally competing with a higher caliber known wine, but I haven't tried nearly as many. Buying stocks is also a "gamble" - you could lose money! You might as well put it all in cash! But hey, most ppl figured out long ago the reward is generally worth it for the risk unless you're hyper risk-averse.

NDAs aren't for everyone, obviously. But blanket statements that NDA wines aren't worth it are just silly at this point. They may not be for you, that's great, thanks for the input.
Wineries can make more money selling bottles of wine for $500 than selling them for $10, therefore buying NDA wine isn't a good idea. How can you argue with logic like that?

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#2212 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Yeah, I've already moved several posts from here concerning de Negoce - no clue why some feel the need to post in here, as we have a very large and active dN thread. Please keep it there, thanks.
"I about passed out from elations" K John Joseph, 1/26/22

Raciel Porto

#2213 Post by Raciel Porto »

Amex is running a promotion right now(expires 3/10/2022 or something like that) where u get $30 cash back for spending $100 at wine-access and paying with ur amex card. U can do it up to 3 times before promo expires. Keep in mind you have to “activate” the promotion in your amex account website before trying it.

They don’t usually have the lowest prices, but after taking advantage of this promotion and using any other coupon u can find, it could turn out as a great deal.

Ross Jordan

#2214 Post by Ross Jordan »

Toby P wrote: February 13th, 2022, 5:47 pm

ETA: I used Cam/WA pretty interchangeably there, and it is definitely WA that tries to claim you’re getting $300-500 wine more often than Cam. You get the idea…

The NDA wines are not the extra juice going into the $500+ first wine. It's the extra juice after making the third wine that's $100 wine going for $50 under nda. Something like that.
Last edited by Ross Jordan on March 2nd, 2022, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2215 Post by Max S. »

2017 Guigal Lalas added to WA at $355 - seems to be a deal if you have a coupon.
"And just to be clear, this is a post criticizing people who criticize people who criticize for a living . . ." - J Bloom
"Just remember the old saying, one person’s garbage wine is another person’s treasured burgundy." -JDavisRoby

5 w 0 m l 3 y

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2216 Post by Kevin Patrick »

Max S. wrote: February 28th, 2022, 2:56 pm 2017 Guigal Lalas added to WA at $355 - seems to be a deal if you have a coupon.
Also 2018 LaGrange case price ($55/per) is effectively wine-searcher low so with coupons etc. it's a very good deal.

I'm staying disciplined (for once) waiting impatiently on another aged Musar release with volume discount pricing.

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2217 Post by Max S. »

Kevin Patrick wrote: February 28th, 2022, 3:05 pm
Max S. wrote: February 28th, 2022, 2:56 pm 2017 Guigal Lalas added to WA at $355 - seems to be a deal if you have a coupon.
Also 2018 LaGrange case price ($55/per) is effectively wine-searcher low so with coupons etc. it's a very good deal.

I'm staying disciplined (for once) waiting impatiently on another aged Musar release with volume discount pricing.
I too am hoping for a Musar... not sure how likely that is though

5 w 0 m l 3 y

Stephen Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2218 Post by Stephen Faulkner »

Ross Jordan wrote: February 20th, 2022, 10:53 am
The NDA wines are not the extra juice going into the $500+ first wine. It's the extra juice after making the third wine that's $100 wine going for $50 under nda. Something like that.
Curious what those with more experience on these deals think of this logic about the 2019 Concept cab:

"This is the bottle to grab, and we’ll tell you why. Napa’s EXTREMELY challenging 2020 vintage has caused a run on 2019 barrels like these—the prices skyrocketed after everyone realized there would be next to no 2020 juice to be had. Just another reason we jumped to seize this opportunity."

I understand why wineries moved juice via NDAs during the last two years of the pandemic, but are these premier wineries so strapped for cash they can't simply hold wine like this back to fill the 2020 gap?

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2219 Post by Eric White »

Drinking the 2019 Stay Home Cabernet, first of six I purchased. After the string of somewhat "meh" reviews on the more recent NDA wines (one of mine included), I approached this with a bit of trepidation. Decanted for about six hours, I'm happy to report that this one is the real deal. Fabulous aromatics of deep dark plum and cassis, with vanilla and spice backing it up. Showing a little hot on the palate right off the bat, but with really nice structure. Needs a little more time for the significant oak integrate, but a very nice wine. Happy with this one!

Ross Jordan

#2220 Post by Ross Jordan »

Stephen Faulkner wrote: March 6th, 2022, 7:08 am
Ross Jordan wrote: February 20th, 2022, 10:53 am
Curious what those with more experience on these deals think of this logic about the 2019 Concept cab:

"This is the bottle to grab, and we’ll tell you why. Napa’s EXTREMELY challenging 2020 vintage has caused a run on 2019 barrels like these—the prices skyrocketed after everyone realized there would be next to no 2020 juice to be had. Just another reason we jumped to seize this opportunity."

I understand why wineries moved juice via NDAs during the last two years of the pandemic, but are these premier wineries so strapped for cash they can't simply hold wine like this back to fill the 2020 gap?
2020 vintage is going to have problems in CA, OR and WA. A lot of wineries are skipping or doing way less bottling in 2020, and selling off excess juice, which may or may not be smoke tainted. I think I'll skip most west cost wines in 2020. Good year in France.

But you are right, 2020 is going to confuse the market, especially after the oversupply from the last few years.

Rohit B

#2221 Post by Rohit B »

This turned disastrous with 3-4h of air. The only other time I've experienced this was with 2019 Commission.
  • 2018 Wine Access Cabernet Sauvignon Yesterday Oakville - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (3/12/2022)
    Splash decant and intermittently agitated for ~1h. Into BDX glass and followed.

Nose has beautiful blue and black fruit, exploding from the glass. Swirling brings a little more red fruit tone and some floral notes. Palate is medium-full body, acid slowly shows up but when it does it also brings dark blue and black fruits with it. Finish carries the same fruit forward, which eventually makes way for leather, rustic tannins, and elegant oak.

This wine is a (seemingly) rare example of a WineAccess NDA wine living up to its marketing. I guess those were the good ol' days. Even though this is allegedly from Oakville, I'm not getting much in the way distinct "tells" of Western Oakville, let alone Eastern Oakville. Please note that the bottle is labeled *Napa Valley* and not Oakville.

With that in mind, this will hold its own with other high-end *Napa Valley* Cabernet. Not single vineyard, not sub-appellation, but Napa Valley Cabernet. The palate may lack the depth and richness you'll find from the absolute top NV Cabs, but that criticism is acceptable at this price.

Drink now with a solid decant, or be sure to pull a cork within the next 3 years.

UPDATE: And...now with a couple hours of air it is falling apart. Nose has faded and turned much lighter, the palate is unfocused, and the finish has become more red fruited, floral, and bitter. It's as if the oak vanished and left the wine without structure or body to guide it. Just a total mess. If what I'm tasting now was what I tasted initially, I would have given it an 87. Taking off my initial rating (92).

Decant for an hour and drink within an hour. Will not last longer than that.
13 h @ n

Asingla
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2222 Post by Asingla »

Has anyone seen any promos lately, been pretty dry for a couple months
A n i s h

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2223 Post by Max S. »

Asingla wrote: March 19th, 2022, 6:59 pm Has anyone seen any promos lately, been pretty dry for a couple months
Not a one. Luckily still sitting on a 15%, 20%, and 50/200

5 w 0 m l 3 y

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2224 Post by Eric White »

Couldn't expect those killer promos to last, some of those deals were stupid-cheap.

Ju1ian Dev1in

#2225 Post by Ju1ian Dev1in »

What does it mean when you can see a wine using the exact URL - and it stays in your cart as available - but searching for it on the site it's nowhere to be found?

Ju1ian Dev1in

#2226 Post by Ju1ian Dev1in »

Ju1ian Dev1in wrote: March 22nd, 2022, 8:13 am What does it mean when you can see a wine using the exact URL - and it stays in your cart as available - but searching for it on the site it's nowhere to be found?
Anyways this is very good. Just ordered 6 more bottles:
https://www.wineaccess.com/catalog/2018 ... ff10fc7b9/

B. Davies

#2227 Post by B. Davies »

The referral is the only thing I've had recently.
WSET III
Accountant --> Boutique Wine Store Manager
Bill Davies

Chris Roebuck
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2228 Post by Chris Roebuck »

Does anyone know the source of the Phoenix Cab 2017 out in the past day or two???

Rohit B

#2229 Post by Rohit B »

Chris Roebuck wrote: March 27th, 2022, 8:07 am Does anyone know the source of the Phoenix Cab 2017 out in the past day or two???
This has been around for awhile—clues suggest the source is Dana Estates.
13 h @ n

Rohit B

#2230 Post by Rohit B »

• 2018 Wine Access Cabernet Sauvignon Yesterday Howell Mountain - USA, California, Napa Valley, Howell Mountain (3/20/2022)
    Smoke tainted.

This wine was suggested to be made by TRB with grapes sourced from Dana Estate Hershey Vineyard. During my visit to Dana in January, my host told me *point blank* that a 2018 Hershey Vineyard was not produced due to *laboratory and tasting* evidence of smoke taint. The wine was described as "rough" and "ashy". So they bulked it out.

Well, here it is. The roughness and ash might be subtle at first, but it starts to show after a few seconds on the palate and is particularly noticeable on the finish.

With respect to my prior notes, I guess the eyes don't see what the mind doesn't know.
13 h @ n

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2231 Post by Max S. »

Kevin Patrick wrote: February 28th, 2022, 3:05 pm

Looks like Musar is up for pre-order, but it's the 2015 vintage (56/1-5, 50/6-11, 45 for 12+). Trying to decide if I want to hold out for something else. It's a decent deal for current vintage, especially with coupons...

5 w 0 m l 3 y

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2232 Post by Kevin Patrick »

Max S. wrote: March 30th, 2022, 2:18 pm Looks like Musar is up for pre-order, but it's the 2015 vintage (56/1-5, 50/6-11, 45 for 12+). Trying to decide if I want to hold out for something [OLDER]. It's a decent deal for current vintage, especially with coupons...
This is my dilemma. I don't enjoy the younger vintages nearly as much as I do the wines at 20+ years old.

It's an excellent deal for a case and an exceptional deal if you still have discounts (which I do).

Tempted to pull the trigger but I was really hoping for something at least a decade older.

AdrianReyes

#2233 Post by AdrianReyes »

joejolesch wrote: August 14th, 2020, 12:53 pm
Mitch P wrote: August 14th, 2020, 12:18 pm What is the code for $50 off $200. Also, I can't seem to find where to enter a promo code at checkout. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Follow this link and it will automatically apply over $200: http://wineaccess.com/newsite

If it’s your first order, you can stack with a referral: http://share.wineaccess.com/v/joe_32

Enjoy!
thanks
"Im to drunk to taste this chicken"

James Lyon
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2234 Post by James Lyon »

Max S. wrote: March 19th, 2022, 7:15 pm
Asingla wrote: March 19th, 2022, 6:59 pm Has anyone seen any promos lately, been pretty dry for a couple months
Not a one. Luckily still sitting on a 15%, 20%, and 50/200
Oddly enough, I noticed yesterday that my $100 off $250 purchase was removed from my account.

I guess that I could email them about the promotion that was removed, but I've been a little flummoxed by their description of the 2020 Chad Oregon Pinot currently available on the site. IMO, WA is not very forthright in their description of the wine. I think that it's beyond misleading not to mention the wildfires that hampered the 2020 Oregon harvest. Buyer beware.

Mike R

#2235 Post by Mike R »

Looks like 2015 Musar is up at $56 a bottle. Not as amazing as a deal as the 1998 was, but still a decent price.
... 0 p 3 r

Tyler Rico

#2236 Post by Tyler Rico »

2020 ridge geyserville is up, $40 per with a 6 bottle or more purchase, can also stack with referral coupon or other saved coupons

https://www.wineaccess.com/catalog/2020 ... 761fff3a0/

$50 off your first $150 or more order
http://share.wineaccess.com/v/tyler_3

Rohit B

#2237 Post by Rohit B »

Bought this for ~$50. I've had $250 wines that weren't this good.
  • 2016 Rudius Cabernet Sauvignon Farella Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Coombsville (4/2/2022)
    Decanted off sediment for 1 hour, then back into bottle for ~3h. Part of a blind tasting, notes copied below.

"INCREDIBLE nose. Integrated oak (baking spices, vanilla) dark cherry pie filling, blackberry jam but not jammy, earthy secondary notes. Palate is beautifully rich but not heavy. Everything in alignment. Medium body, lovely acid, blue fruit, plenty of acid. Finish has beautifully integrated oak, spices, lovely tannins that are big but not obtrusive. Little bit rocky too but maybe that’s just the acid and tannin.

Sometimes you drink and smell a wine and you immediately know it’s expensive, and you know it’s a damn good wine. This is an example of that. 93-95 but could use more time. Drink now with 1h decant or age for another 10 years"

I haven't figured out how to take notes that convey a wine being of superior quality and class, but this is one of those. (94 pts.)
13 h @ n

Kurt_L
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2238 Post by Kurt_L »

Rohit B wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 6:46 pm Bought this for ~$50. I've had $250 wines that weren't this good.
  • 2016 Rudius Cabernet Sauvignon Farella Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Coombsville (4/2/2022)
    Decanted off sediment for 1 hour, then back into bottle for ~3h. Part of a blind tasting, notes copied below.

"INCREDIBLE nose. Integrated oak (baking spices, vanilla) dark cherry pie filling, blackberry jam but not jammy, earthy secondary notes. Palate is beautifully rich but not heavy. Everything in alignment. Medium body, lovely acid, blue fruit, plenty of acid. Finish has beautifully integrated oak, spices, lovely tannins that are big but not obtrusive. Little bit rocky too but maybe that’s just the acid and tannin.

Sometimes you drink and smell a wine and you immediately know it’s expensive, and you know it’s a damn good wine. This is an example of that. 93-95 but could use more time. Drink now with 1h decant or age for another 10 years"

I haven't figured out how to take notes that convey a wine being of superior quality and class, but this is one of those. (94 pts.)
Dang, this was on WA for $50!? Nice pickup, I missed out...
L @ v 3 + + !

Rohit B

#2239 Post by Rohit B »

Kurt_L wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 7:13 pm
Dang, this was on WA for $50!? Nice pickup, I missed out...
About a year ago! Was a steal. Should have gotten more.
13 h @ n

B. Davies

#2240 Post by B. Davies »

Thoughts on “ Half Off Champagne! $65 Rarity, Just $32 Today!” ?

NV Jacques Lorent Grande Reserve Brut Champagne

Never heard of it.
WSET III
Accountant --> Boutique Wine Store Manager
Bill Davies

joejolesch

#2241 Post by joejolesch »

B. Davies wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 6:19 am Thoughts on “ Half Off Champagne! $65 Rarity, Just $32 Today!” ?

NV Jacques Lorent Grande Reserve Brut Champagne

Never heard of it.
Same here - never heard of it and CT isn’t much help, two scores, one review, 86pts…
2022 WsOTY - 2006 Charles Heidsieck Brut Millésimé, 2018 W&M Proprietary Red

Andrew Ing
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2242 Post by Andrew Ing »

Rohit B wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 6:46 pm Bought this for ~$50. I've had $250 wines that weren't this good.

I picked some of this too. I like a couple of other Farella wines a little better. But this price point cannot be beat. That’s my trouble with WA, many times I really like what I ordered but cannot find it again from them.
Andrew Ingrum

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2243 Post by Eric White »

drinking the 2018 Star Treatment, my first bottle. You'll never mistake this for the cult wine they describe it as, but it's plenty decent for the price. Somewhat coarse tannins are my biggest complaint, it lacks elegance. Worth what I paid.

Edward Voss

#2244 Post by Edward Voss »

Any thoughts on the source for the "Yesterday" Cabernet Franc? Napa grown and bottled Cabernet Franc, Howell Mountain terroir, that should limit the possibilities quite a bit I would think...

JOwen

#2245 Post by JOwen »

I think Viader's Cabernet Franc 'DARE' bottling fits the description fairly well...thoughts?
J 0 s h

Greg W

#2246 Post by Greg W »

I think that's right. Per Google, I only found two wineries that Parker had described as “Napa Valley Cheval Blanc" -- Viader and Anderson's Conn Valley. Both have released a high-end cab franc. Viader's estate is on Howell Mountain, though it's not 100% clear that the Dare series in 100% estate fruit. Anderson's Gustaf cab franc is from "a gorgeous hillside vineyard just outside the city of Napa, on the west side, just inside Los Carneros." That would certainly point to Viader.

The only thing that gives me pause is Wine Access has a very long history of selling Anderson's Conn Valley wines, and I don't recall ever seeing Viader on there. So that relationship makes me think there's still a small chance it's ACV and they're trying to make you think it's Viader.
W e 1 1 s

Chris Crutchfield
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2247 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

Isn’t 2018 Howell Mountain supposed to be avoided due to potential smoke taint? The 2018 Yesterday Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon has 3 TNs on CT that indicate possible smoke taint.

Greg W

#2248 Post by Greg W »

That's the 2018 HM cabernet sauvignon that was supposedly declassified from Dana Estates, potentially due to smoke taint. This new one is a cab franc.
W e 1 1 s

Chris Crutchfield
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2249 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

I’m aware it’s CF. My point is that WineAccess apparently has no qualms about buying smoke tainted juice, so given the concerns about 2018 and Howell Mountain in general I would steer clear.

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2250 Post by Jim Stewart »

After really enjoying a recent “nearly Condrieu” Viognier, I went for the real stuff and got a bottle of the 2020 Guigal La Doriane Condrieu that was mentioned up thread. Added a bottle of Albert Lebrun Premier Cru Blanc de Noirs Extra Brut (100% Pinot Meunier) to trigger the free shipping and a couple of discounts. $76 all in.
“How little we know. How much to discover”

Return to “Wine Talk”