TN: 2002 Zind-Humbrecht Pinot Gris Rotenberg (France, Alsace)

• 2002 Zind-Humbrecht Pinot Gris Rotenberg - France, Alsace (8/13/2020)
    This was in a really great spot. Holding on to just a tiny bit of r.s. With a delicious core of burnished fruit and framed with sufficient acid to give lift to the rich fruitiness. Perfect with fish in tomato-chili broth with fried shallots and garlic and herbs. Opened for friends who know enough about wine to appreciate it but not geeky enough to hate it just because it is a zind humbrecht wine.

Posted from CellarTracker

Who could hate ZH wines? Especially their Pinot Gris. Lovely wines. I’m partial to their Gewurztraminers.

Terrific note, Maureen.

And yes, the Z-H hate is a little hipster on this board… but to each his or her own. When the age with style and balance, that richness just yields a fantastic wine. I love the chili broth, fried shallots pairing. Such layers. I can close my eyes and taste it :slight_smile:.

Opened a 95 Clos Windsbuhl a few weeks ago. Dense, rich, and off dry. Terrific with Tarte Flambe.

I purchased a ton of '02s years ago when Brown Derby was blowing them out super-cheap, great wines that are all going strong still, nice note!

A 2002 ZH was what got me into Alsace wines. I do not remember if it was the Pinot Gris, GW, or Riesling. But since then I’ve always picked them up when I find them.

Thanks for the note.