Napa Heatwave......

I know that pretty much every Summer, Napa has a heatwave, with temps >100’, but this ten-day stretch looks particularly rough…
For the winemakers on the Board, do any of you see any issues with this prolonged heat?
fullsizeoutput_88a.jpeg

“Burgundian” climate??

It’s not just Napa. Goes all over the SW to Texas. Fires and people dying of wet bulb heat index are the new normal. New record in Death Valley; a place of records.

Over the hill in Sonoma-Mendocino Counties pretty much the same. Of course there are micro climate areas within but in general it’s going to be blistering hot for the next 6 days or so.

Tom

Oh my. I guess this is why those irrigation systems are in place in Napa. I would guess the vines will want to shut down with the heat and some sunburning could happen. But I doubt that anyone is doing any leaf pulling in Napa these days.

117 in Phoenix today (and the next ten days are pretty close). AC or die.

Late July & August 2020, Phoenix. “But it’s a dry heat.”

PHX August 2020.png

Over 20% humidity for the next few days. Not that dry.

It’s downright frosty here in TX, highs around 100F, dry, with ‘only’ 40-45% humidity. Bring a sweater if you’re visiting.

We sometimes struggle to keep our old house cool with the ATL 70/90 all summer. Does your AC literally run 24/7 when the LOW temp is 90 for a month? I’m cringing at the thought of your power bill.

20% is a spitball, hardly noticeable.

Heatwave is hitting Santa Barbara area too…eep!

Already, after 99 degrees yesterday, the fruit is moving along quickly. Day after day of it? Probably some sunburn. Gave my vines a huge drink overnight. Fruit is mighty tasty this morning.

Already 81 in Yountville now. Forecasted high of 108. Where I am in contra costa, it never cooled down below 74 last night, which is very unusual.

Gonna be a scorcher in Cali for the next week or so.

Here’s a good overview of what’s in store for us in California

To control my spend I have been thinking going light on vintage 19 and wait for 20. Hope the heatwave doesn’t put the plan in jeopardy.

I love that kind of report. I can picture it! [cheers.gif]

Just listened to a Society of Wine Educators lecture by Roger Bohmrich on climate change and wine. Not good. Napa looks like toast within 10 years. Vineyards could easily move into British Columbia. Most of Mediterranean wines will be gone moving as far north as Norway.

100 here over the weekend but dropping down to low 90s Monday and then low 80s next week. We still have cool nights even when it gets this hot and the heat takes a long time to build during the day. It’s not 100 at noon for instance.