What is the world’s highest altitude vineyard and where is it found?

FWIIW:

At 11,690 feet above sea level (3,563 meters or over 2.2 miles high), the “Pure Land & Super-High Altitude Vineyard” in Cai Na Xiang, Lhasa, Tibet, has been designated by Guinness World Records, as the “world’s highest vineyard.” The roughly 160-acre vineyard, planted in 2012 on the Tibetan Plateau, includes 11 different grape varieties from the well-known muscat, to bei bing hong, an indigenous variety used to make local ice wine.

Though no facilities currently exist, owner Rong Shun Biotechnology Development Ltd. hopes to expand the size of the vineyard as well as build a winery and tasting room. Meanwhile, half a world away, winemaker Claudio Zuccino, owner of Ayni winery, farms his vineyard Finca Moya at 10,922 feet (3,329 meters) above sea level, making it the highest vineyard in South America (2nd highest in the world).

Ayni’s facility, Cava Mina Moya is, however, the highest altitude wine cellar in the world. Chewing coca leaves to cope with the oxygen shortage is the norm for Zucchino, who had to construct a single-carriage track four miles up the mountain before he even considered planting vines.

The vineyards of Armenian winery Zorah, in the foothills of Biblical Mount Ararat, grow at 5250 feet (1600 meters) above sea level, a stone’s throw from the world’s oldest known winemaking facility (the 6100-year old Areni 1 cave).

Cheers,
Blake

Thanks Blake.

I love the mountains in life and in my wine. Its hard to fathom wine growing well at 11,000 feet. Mountains near us in Utah range up to that big, and the weather at the top even in the summer is dramatic and windy.

Highest vineyards in the Santa Cruz Mountains are above 2600 Ft. Loma Prieta claims to be the highest but there are other vineyards way past that going up Loma Prieta. There is a vineyard called Dog Hole that’s miles past Loma Prieta winery/vineyard way up ganja country and I would guess is closer to 3k. Will have to check the elevation next time I go up there. Loma Prieta is the highest winvery in the SCM with their wine making facility on the estate at 2,600 ft. Their wine is not AFWE but its a local favorite for us and guests since the views of the ocean are special and their staff is super friendly.

The Estate Sparkling Pinotage, Bodos, and the Petit Sirah are my favorite wines.

Stay safe in Santa Barbara, I relocated to Casa de Utah for a change of quarantine scenery.

Sean

https://www.vinifranchetti.com/passopisciaro/the-wines/contrada-r/

Sean, I can only think that if any vines can survive at that high altitude, it has to be the epitome of stress tolerance. I was also thinking there are probably only few varietals that have the wherewithal even to be considered for planting, but in this case, they use 11 which I find amazing. Some wine grapes may be the new super hero for survival capability.

Highest commercial vineyards in the northern hemisphere, in case you want to know…

The wines they produce are quite good.

Great stuff, Blake.

Anyone know what the highest elevation vineyards are in California?

This thread is becoming a “Can you top this?”

Chris, I got this feedback after doing a search: “Barnwood’s Cabernet Sauvignon’s vineyard is located at 3,200.”

Salta Province of Argentina is historically the region with the highest vineyards in the World.

and this is what I found on that: " In Argentina’s Salentein Vineyard in the Mendoza Valley you will find three very high elevation vineyards, ranging from 3,400 feet to about 5,500 feet. It is rumored that in South America there are two vineyards being planted at 9,000 feet."

We got a little Pinot Noir from a Sierra Foothills vineyard that was 3500 feet. Intriguing enough to talk through ideas with the grower and make a barrel of PN to see what it was about. Certainly a unique expression - very sinewy and minerally, with minimal fruit esters. Iirc the grower was willing to let us bring in a vineyard manager and play around, perhaps graft in some obscure grapes that should do well at such a site and so forth, but it was a little too far for the semi-local already over-worked first-rate vineyard managers to be interested.

The Salentein Vineyard seems to be in the Mendoza Valley. The Mendoza Valley, or wine region, is at half the elevation of the vineyards in the Salta Province.

https://www.winefrog.com/2/1649/wine-regions/new-world/salta-argentina-land-of-the-highest-vineyards-in-the-world

“Nestled in the south-west corner of the Province of Salta, Argentina is Cafayate, home of the highest vineyards of the world. The Mendoza wine region sits at around 2,000 to 3,000-feet (600 to 1,100-meters) above sea level, which of course is a feat in itself. However, the vineyards here in Cafayate of Salta sit at and around 5,522 to over 6,000-feet (1,700 to 2,000-meters) above sea level. Have a walk around the vineyards and you will not only need a nice sunhat to keep the bright and close sun from kissing and blushing your cheeks and nose, but you’ll need to stop and take a good breath.”

The wines of Salta represent no more than 5% of the wine produced in Argentina by volume. Most consumers have never even seen, or tasted, a wine from Salta with Mendoza origin wine dominating the production in Argentina. The largest landowner is the Penaflor group who own El Esteco, Michel Torino, etc. Donald Hess’ Bodegas Colome arguably brought more International attention to Salta over the last 20 years.

Interesting thread. I recently tasted a Texas sparkling rose that was 100% Pinot Noir from a vineyard at ~3400ft in the High Plains AVA on the Llano Estacado in West Texas. Surprisingly decent.

I used to think that Bodega Colome Vina Altura Maxima was the highest vineyard in the world. Perhaps it’s the highest vineyard in the world producing an absolutely stunning wine.

Had the 2013 earlier this year, and was blown away by the complexity, balance, and everything else it had going for it.

100% Malbec, Salta region in Argentina. About 10,200 feet elevation.

For the price, which is in the $130-$150 range, haven’t had anything like it.

When I visited Salta a few years ago Growers informed us that the constant pursuit of pushing the boundaries of altitude is real. There very well could be vines producing wine, which are not commercialized for anyone to lay claim to the highest vineyard in the World. It’s true that Colome’s vineyards have historically been considered the highest, or at the least the highest that a general Consumer has the opportunity to taste. As stated previously, Salta represents less than 5% of Argentina’s production by volume. Most have never tasted Colome let alone be familiar with Salta.

I used to think that Bodega Colome Vina Altura Maxima was the highest vineyard in the world. Perhaps it’s the highest vineyard in the world producing an absolutely stunning wine.

Had the 2013 earlier this year, and was blown away by the complexity, balance, and everything else it had going for it.

100% Malbec, Salta region in Argentina. About 10,200 feet elevation.

For the price, which is in the $130-$150 range, haven’t had anything like it.

Even their base bottlings are solid.

I had no idea there was decent winery in Colorado. I was thinking day trip and then I plotted it on Google Maps…

There are a number of vineyards in Tehachapi at elevations around 4,000 feet. Their recent petition, currently under review by BATF, states the elevation of their proposed AVA goes as high as 5,400 feet.

I haven’t been up there for a number of years, but back then some of the wines held promise considering the youth of the vines, and the inexperience of the owners.

There are actually several good ones in the Grand Valley AVA as well as the West Elks AVA.
It would be unfair to just do it as a day trip. Paonia/Hotchkiss are fun little towns as well as Palisade. I go to both often and we meet people from all over. Someday these wines will get more national attention.