TN: 2017 Tenuta delle Terre Nere Etna Rosso Guardiola (Italy, Sicily, Etna DOC)

• 2017 Tenuta delle Terre Nere Etna Rosso Guardiola - Italy, Sicily, Etna DOC (8/15/2020)
    Decanted 5 hrs. Very ripe nose, plums smoke and some light florals. Starts off with a push of black strawberries, slightly pulpy, juicy even. Then a pretty big wave of tannin hits, destroying any idea of this being an easy going red. Serious and dense, this nonetheless was a joy to have with Marta Stewart Sicilian pesto & pasta. I see at least 15 years of quality drinking ahead, but maybe give it 3 to 4 to settle in. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note. I’m sitting on a 17 pre-phylloxera and have been wondering if I want to open it soon. Based on this maybe I’ll hold it a little longer

Just picked up a couple 18 pre-phylloxera. haven’t seen any vintage notes on '18… would be curious if anyone had a view on '18?

Anyone have experience aging these? I have a handful from 07, 08 and 10. (I don’t have the vineyards at hand.) The 08 was still pretty tannic a couple of years ago— not that pleasant to drink.

My only experience with this wine was a 2010 Pre-phylloxera a year ago which was drinking well although very tannic, and struck me as benefiting from another few years. The vinous note on the 2017 was specific in giving that vintage a little bit more time.

I’ve liked the 08 more than you but still do question their aging. I’ve had a fair bit of Terre Nere as it was my introduction to Etna and the easiest to find until recently. But there seems to be a lot of variability that makes it harder to draw firm conclusions on when best to open and that’s without even considering the vintage differences. I have liked some of them younger than I would have expected especially when compared to other producers but still do age a few as I continue to try to figure out these wines.

On aging Etna in general, I do like them at 7+ years. I had a really wonder 2009 Pietro Caciorgna N Antiochia that I have a hard time believing is going to get much better but seems like it’s in no risk of going downhill anytime soon. One of the best Etna wines I have had in a while.

Etna Rosso : Tenuta delle Terre Nere « Guardiola » 2011
(98% Nerello Mascalese, 2% Nerello Cappuccio)
A l’ouverture : DS15,5/16 - PC15,5 - PR16 - NH16.
Dense dès la robe. Un nez puissant, profond, beaucoup de fruit, de relief floral et épicé ; le vin semble un poil plus mûr que dans la version Passopisciaro de ce terroir - et surtout moins précis. Prestation toutefois fort satisfaisante : belle matière juteuse, profonde, avec des tanins vifs et bien détourés.
Après 5 heures d’aération : DS15 - LG14 – MS15 - CDC15 - MF14,5 .

Sicilia IGP : Passopisciaro « G » (Guardiola) 2011
(100% Nerello Mascalese)
A l’ouverture : DS17 - PC17+ - PR17+ - NH18,5.
Robe un peu moins dense et légèrement plus orangée. Grande distinction évidente au nez, discrétion, subtilité, profondeur… le fruit se montre d’une grande fraîcheur, il évoque à nouveau la groseille, et développe de merveilleuses bouffées balsamiques (encens, résine, quinquina…) La bouche est à la hauteur, aérienne, tonique ; son corps effilé affiche une vitalité remarquable. Analogies : si le Porcaria penche vers Barolo, on est ici plus proche de Barbaresco, voire du Haut-Piémont.
Après 5 heures d’aération : DS17 - LG15,5/16 – MS17 - CDC16 - MF17