Saxum - Should I buy?

I have been on Saxum’s waiting list for probably over 5 years.
I just received an email that I am worthy of buying some.
Almost did not see it because it is an old email I don’t use anymore.
The three offers are The Hexe, Broken Stones, and Paderewski.
Not knowing any better after reading the descriptions I would choose Hexe (I like Grenache), but the price is daunting.
So next in line would be Broken Stones and lastly Paderewski because I don’t like Zin although it is a small percentage and probably would not put me off.
But also found Saxum on bidding sites for around the same price but you can get an older vintage.
I didn’t realize that alcohol was so high on these which isn’t my preference but can be enjoyable now and then if done well which I assume these are.
I don’t normally pay $100 for a bottle of anything but I feel like I should at least give it a try, maybe it will blow me away, maybe not.

Yes, you should buy. Broken Stones is a great blend, year after year. Hexe is a bit more expensive as it is an extended aging wine. I would buy Broken Stones this release, and then James Berry the next one. The alcohol level never seems as high as it is on these wines, IMHO.

What is it that makes a wine extended aging and why does it cost more?
I usually drink my wines within 2 or 3 years of purchase and many sooner than that.

Hmmm…that might not be the best move with Saxum. Others might disagree, but to me, they are MUCH better with some age on them (at least 6+ years - ideally more)

Extended age means it spent an extra year aging in barrel. Whether it actually amounts to an extra $50 of cost to the winery I don’t know, but that’s why the price difference.

People drink wines at different times. Many people like to drink Saxum fairly soon after shipping. I tend to drink mine about 6-10 year after the vintage. I’ve never had one old enough to know if they age.

In your initial post, you pretty much identified all the reasons you shouldn’t buy it. I’m a fan, but different strokes and all. Maybe try a small order to see if you like it. You won’t have to buy more if you don’t.

Ok got it. I thought extended aging meant that the wine could age longer after putting it in the cellar.
If I waited 6 years I would be 69 when I opened it, Yikes!

Buy one of each, store them for a month, or two, then open and decide how to proceed from there!

I have found it useful to get an early taste in at first to decide if I like a new wine enough to continue on a list.

It would suck utterly if you were on the list 5-7 years before you find it isn’t for you!

Welp, you can always backfill. Fairly easy to find older vintages. As mentioned above, most of your comments would have me leaning towards not purchasing…but wouldn’t hurt to give one a whirl since you were interested enough 7+ years ago to sign up for the list [cheers.gif]

I love Saxum, but I’m sure it’s not for everybody (like people that don’t like new world wine). If you don’t want to wait years to open, I think you can open the bottle a day in advance to have it show better. You might be better off buying older vintages from KL or Benchmark or where ever though, if you don’t want to wait for them to age.

Broken Stones is a good introduction. There is a bunch of Saxum on winebid so you could pick up some that are 8-12 years old to see how they age. 2006
BS is showing $100 bid. That will cost you ~$125 to actually get it delivered, but that is a hallmark Saxum wine; their first to get a big score.
If you like grenache dominant wines, get some James Berry and look for Rocket Block. If you buy some now, you’ll be offered JBV in the next round.

There is also a 2006 James Berry, his hallmark wine, on Winebid for $70, $82 w/o shipping. Don’t bypass Paderewski because of the small Zin component, it’s a pretty good wine as well.

Additional thoughts on this recent thread > What's wrong with Saxum? - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

It depends on what type of wine you like and what your personal financial situation will allow. If you like a big, flavorful, fruit forward, high ABV style, and you can afford the price tag without affecting your ability to put a roof over your head and food in your mouth, then you should buy some. If your personal flavor preference is for traditional Burgundy producers with ABVs between 12% and 12.5%, reached only with some chaptalization, and Loire Cabernet Franc, then I suggest that you leave the Saxum for others.

Personally, Cellartracker reports that I have consumed 124 bottles of Saxum that I owned, over about the last 14 years, and I have no idea how may bottles belonging to others. That will give you a rough idea of my personal preference. I have a few funny photos of Jay Miller and Keith Levenberg drinking Saxum (Jay turning his nose up and Keith pouring it over the railing onto a flower bed below), so if your palate aligns with theirs, stay away.

Perfectly said, sir.

I started buying back in 2004. The year of the spritz… As others have said, they are big wines that require a good amount of age. Tonight I’m drinking a 2015 Paderewski with 10% Zin. Decant for 2-3 hours and see how it goes. Otherwise I find them best with a good 10 years of age at least. Still finding some wines like the 2007’s are still not ready. I would say buy them and given them a try. Even if you need to flip them as you find its not your taste… you will find a buyer.

I think it’s a fair question to ask what other wines you purchase on a regular basis and enjoy first. That will help everyone ascertain how ‘similar’ or ‘dissimilar’ to the wines that you currently enjoy.

As you mention, there are plenty of these available at close to release price so I would think it would behoove you to try one or two first (if you have not already) to see if it floats your boat. I know that we all seem to have FOMO when it comes to certain wines but if they are not for you, they are not going to be enjoyable.

Cheers.