TN: 1975 Château Meyney (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe)

• 1975 Château Meyney - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe (8/8/2020)
    Forever to be known as the miracle wine. Several months ago, I noticed this was leaking. Stood it up and finally got around to opening. Removed the foil to discover the cork was fully dislodged. What I thought was an excellent fill level (despite the awful storage conditions this endured) was really the just the cork. The color was decent and while hardly charming (don’t know if too many from this vintage are) it was still wine and rather enjoyable if you like really mature wine flavors.

Posted from CellarTracker

So the whole cork was down in the wine? :open_mouth:

I’ve had several red Bordeaux from 75 as it’s my birth year. Haven’t had one I enjoyed. White is a different story…

The 1975 Latour if you are looking for a good 1975. I have had a lot of 1975 years because that was the first vintage of the century that was released after I graduated from law school and I bought a lot of onesies. I have a couple of Gruaud Laroses and one Cheval Blanc left, but the Latour definitely stood out above the others. By the way, it was $25 on release. I think the Cheval Blanc still has the price tag on the shoulder.

Great info Jay. Thanks. 1975 is my wifes birthyear, I just picked up a magnum of Beau-sejour Becot from 1975, hoping and praying its decent in mag format for my wife’s Bday this year in 4 months… May have to look for a Latour now.

I haven’t had a lot of 75’s but the Picon Lalande Comtesse was great, stood out against a few others I’ve tried. Definitely the earliest Bordeaux vintage I sampled more than one of. I have a few more bottles left. It’s definitely through its drinking window, but I’ve been patient drinking them.

I’ll keep an eye out for the Latour. Seems to be under $500 if you can find them. While out of my price range, there’s always special occasions :slight_smile:

Try the La Mission or the La Tour Haut Brion…

Mine as well. PLL has been good as has Montrose and Lynch Bages, but certainly no better than good.