Di Costanzo '18 Fall Release

Haven’t see this posted, love the DI CO and Farella, curious to learn more about the Caldwell.

Dear Friends,

We are thrilled to announce that the Di Costanzo Fall Release will open Tuesday, September 1st. At 9 AM PST, you will receive an email with a link to your allocation, featuring two Cabernet Sauvignons from the heralded 2018 vintage.

SAVE THE DATE

DI COSTANZO FALL RELEASE
Tuesday, September 1st, 2020 | 9 AM PST
this release will be live until Tuesday, September 15th

2018 Di Costanzo Caldwell Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Coombsville
debut vintage

2018 DI CO Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley

Looking forward for this release. Love their wines.

Hopefully Erin will come share some tasting notes before the release.

I tasted the Caldwell. It’s really good.

• 2018 Di Costanzo Cabernet Sauvignon Caldwell Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Coombsville (7/7/2020)
    Barrel sample tasted during a FaceTime call with Massimo di Costanzo. TL;dr: if you like the Montecillo and Farella cuvées, jump on this when they release it. I am unfamiliar with Caldwell, but I note the list of heavy hitters on their website (apparently Dunn sourced from there for decades). The wine is deep in color, like petite sirah deep, and the aroma is somewhat restrained with just a quick suggestion of its eventual depths. I recognize the winemaking, meaning it’s serious juice, with a crazy amount of length. The mid-palate has some subtle spicebox to it, and then a graphite element creeps in, with velvety tannins at the end. I want to dig out one of my younger Pontet Canets to see if the comparison I thought of at the moment is accurate, but there’s a Pauillac feel. I didn’t want to drink this quickly, but at one point I looked down and it was gone. As good as the Di Co is, when I have one of the big guns, I’m just blown away. Here’s hoping that 7-10 years from now, things are calm enough that I can try this in its full maturity. I don’t think there’s a lot of this for the first year. Big, huge, whistling, stomping recommendation. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the heads up. Did not receive an email despite being on the list and having purchased before. Will be ready on Sep 1

Sean

One of the few releases I’ll grab right away. Love all their wines. Thanks to Mike Smith for introducing me to Massiomo back in the early days.

No email for me either, yet I bought the '17s and '16s…

Tasted both, loved both, plan to load up on both [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

Thanks all! Squeaked that email out today just before the power went out. (back on now). Nothing like 100 degree heat, a freak thunderstorm and rain, and a billowing smoke cloud from the Hennesey Ridge fire nearby, to really get the work productivity humming. :flushed:

Back online now, and grateful for some kind excitement here.

Sean, just messaged you, let us see why that email didn’t get to you. For sure we will be certain you are taken care of. You too, Rodrigo!

Jeff, tasting notes! There is a bunch more Caldwell lore to share, but for a sneak peek here are the current notes on the 18 DI CO & 18 Caldwell:

2018 DI CO Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
549 cases produced
100% Cabernet Sauvignon
Source: Rafael Vineyard, Oak Knoll AVA, at the base of Mt. Veeder
Hillside, sedimentary soils (shale, weathered sandstone)
Average vine age: 35+ years
14.1% ABV
$55 to mailing list

DI CO remains a wine of stellar quality, made from start to finish to be a serious, collectable and energetic Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. Neither barrels that didn’t make the cut for a reserve project, nor bulk juice sourced for a side project. This is intentionally and correctly made single vineyard, Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.

Visually, DI CO paints the glass with a deep, velvet opacity. Brambly aromas soar from the glass, with blackberries and cacao beans adding layers of complexity. On the palate, the savory tannins are bold and framing, supporting a Cabernet Sauvignon which is satisfying and deeply dimensional. An age worthy wine, DI CO will be happy in your cellar for 10+ years, or upon release with a 1-2 hour decant.

2018 Di Costanzo Caldwell Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Coombsville
Debut Vintage
115 cases produced
100% Cabernet Sauvignon
Source: Caldwell Vineyard, Coombsville AVA
Hillside, volcanic soils
Planted: 1984
14.1% ABV
$95 to mailing list

In the glass, the Di Costanzo Caldwell Vineyard Cabernet displays a shimmering, crystalline, ruby color. This wine’s bright, aromatic freshness greets you immediately, with a dance of floral perfume, bitter orange, and abundant red fruit. It’s immediately recognizable as classic Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. Crunchy cranberry and raspberry tea on the palate are supported by a warming kirsch note. Tannins are fine-grained. A pleasing pop of acidity delivers balancing succulence. Immediate pleasure awaits those who decant and drink in the short term. Collectors can enjoy extended cellaring for 15-20 years.

Strange day in Wine Country, thanks all for the continued support.

Both wines (and especially the Caldwell) sound delicious Erin! Thanks for the early tasting notes and can’t wait to get my order in!

Thanks for the notes, both sound awesome!! Excited for this!

Erin and Mas were kind enough to share samples of these wines with my gf and I about a month ago over a Zoom call. I can confidently say that if you are a fan of previous vintages, that you will love the 2018’s.

While the Caldwell is a bit young of course, it will continue to evolve into a delicious offering with a couple years of slumber. The guts are there for something stellar down the road a bit. I am looking forward to doing a side by side with the Farella- should be some fun “due diligence”. And that DiCo? Oh my… I can’t believe they price it at that level.

Easy to support the wines and E+M. Giddy Up…

Excited for this release!

26 times this year I said “I’m done”. After this release it will be 27. Love these wines.

An extremely easy buy. Excellent wines and really incredible people.

Thanks Erin. Got the email tonight and looking forward to stashing these deep into my locker. When Covid is done, we’re definitely coming up from SoCal to taste with you. [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

Should be great. I remember Erin really looking forward to the Caldwell release when we visited in January and had the 16 and 17 lineup which was bonkers great. Will check in a 16 this weekend.

Anyone sign up for the zoom tasting w Erin and Massimo ? We’re going to join. Good time to check in on the 14 Farella which is what we’ll be drinking.

cheers

I signed up!

I opened a '16 Farella last weekend. A killer wine with black fruit, graphite, licorice, and minerality on the palate. Texture a perfect balance of creaminess but energetic and not heavy, and tannins present but quite elegant. Aromatically a bit reticent but on the palate it was explosive and very enjoyable.