TN: 2008 Domaine Denis Bachelet Gevrey-Chambertin Vieilles Vignes

2008 Domaine Denis Bachelet Gevrey-Chambertin Vieilles Vignes[/b][/url] - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin (8/18/2020)

Had the last bottle in 2012 and impressions are very similiar. Upon opening this has strong Gevry flavor of animale and dark red fruit. Still a bit tense and firm up front it really opens up with 2 hours of air and food. We served with Coq au Vin and the wine realy transformed. Deeper flavor with less game and more bitter cherry and spice. The finish was long and expansive. 90 without 92 with food. I think these are just entering their drinking window and perhaps could get a bit better with a few more years.

Good to hear a 2008 shows fairly well. I have said prior this vintage feels like a modern version of 1996.

I have singles of 01 and 02. Any suggestions on when to open one?

I’d open the 01, I’d hold 02 til 2025.

Just had the 01 recently, lovely wine give it time to strut its stuff!

• 2001 Domaine Denis Bachelet Gevrey-Chambertin Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin (31/7/2020)
    Took the best part of 7 hours to open up but pretty much at peak now. Very muted at first on both the nose and palate with a strong bitterness. A Vosne-like spice emerged with a little sweet kirsch-y finish, before evolving into a more Gevrey-like rusticity of sous bois and mushroom. Interesting that the wine opened up not only in terms of the volume of flavour, but also texture which became a lot more sensuous. Good concentration from old vines, impeccable balance by a good producer. Wines like these are the reason why people fall into the rabbit hole of Burgs. Lovely.