Looking at two new functions with software update (POLL)

I wanted to run by two potential new functions as I book the upgrading of the forum software yet again. These are extensions, not built-in to the software, but over the years both have been requested, so I wanted to get a poll going to see what you all think, and a discussion as well.

First is the ‘like/dislike’ function. While the ‘like’ function might be good, not sure exactly how many want to use it, but if the number is strong, I don’t see why I shouldn’t include it. Dislike might cause some issues, so we’ll see!

Here’s what it looks like, below. There is a ‘like’ button, or dislike, and that calculates the ‘rating’ of the thread. More specific info here:

-adds Thanks button to the posts at the end of the post buttons row
-allows thanking and removing thank for a post
-adds a feature to display posts/topics/forums rating based on the count of post thanks for them (thankslist) (configurable)
-adds a controller to display a list of users who thanked others and who got thanks for their posts
-adds a controller to display a list of top thanked posts/topics/forums (toplist) (configurable)
-adds special group permissions to control viewing of toplist and thankslist
-adds special permissions to control user abilities to thank for posts (local, forum-based) and to clean thanks list (global)
-adds “standard” permission sets to the predefined roles
-adds notifications for the thanking and thanks removing events (including board and email notifications, configurable in UCP)
-if rating displaying for all of posts/topics/forums is disabled, the toplist is unavailable
Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 2.17.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 2.17.44 PM.png
Next is Social Share, where all users can share topics/discussions on their various social media platforms. I would be able to select which ones to include or leave out, and I don’t want as many as is shown:
Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 2.14.57 PM.png
(Click on the images to see larger size)

Poll attached for yes/no on each. Each user is allowed two votes (as there is a yes and no for each)

My concern with ‘like/dislike’ is that it becomes a beauty contest, of sorts. Every single topic/thread is rated, thus some that might be otherwise excellent get avoided, and others are spammed with likes for no good reason.

1 Like

I think that happens with some threads now anyways with good threads getting missed and others getting lots of posts. Its always something you can turn off down the road if it becomes a problem.

1 Like

I feel like the “like” (and maybe “dislike”) feature would be more useful with respect to individual posts, rather than threads. I think the number of replies already indicates how popular a thread is and the subject typically gives me an idea if it’s something I’d be interested in. I do, however, think it would be nice to be able to quickly “like” someone’s post when you either agree with it or find it particularly helpful.

I’m quite surprised with the number of ‘nos’ on social share - why wouldn’t people want to share WB discussions in their social networks, expand the reach and discussion?

How about fixing the remember me function? It’s incredibly tedious having to logon repeatedly.

That’s a browser issue, not a forum issue. It involves the cookies that the forum sets, and how your browser remembers them. if you have a bunch of cookies saved on your browser for the same website, they often conflict

So the social share feature would link/copy threads from here to facebook, etc.? Not good for folks who purposely avoid (shun) those platforms.

2 Likes

Correct. I would hope that those who shun those platforms won’t vote against it, as they won’t use it either way

But their posts would be shared on platforms they do not wish to have a presence on.

What happens in the forum stays in the forum.

Agreed. I also wonder if the like/dislike buttons will cause a drop in interaction. It’s pretty easy to post, “Thanks for that great post.” and a post like that, in my opinion, helps positively build the community in ways that a click of the “like” button won’t. So, I click “dislike” on the “like/dislike” buttons. pepsi [wink.gif] [berserker.gif]

As for the “share” button: I don’t like the idea, especially for Asylum posts. Speaking only for myself: I’ve always enjoyed that WB posts stay in WB (for the most part — I’m sure there are exceptions).

Except the forum is completely searchable via google?

But then someone has to come here actively to see what is in a forum here – not just passively scan stuff put in front of them on facebook

I’m just accessing it from my ipad/iphone. Not sure that has any way of saving or deleting cookies that I can use to fix the problem but if there is a way I’d be very grateful. This is the only website where it happens.

My take as well

Whichever device you experience it on, Google ‘delete cookies’ for a particular site, choose WB in those directions - you’ll lose your saved login and have to do it again, but it will create a fresh one so that you won’t have the issue going forward. This is not the best space for such discussions, though…

Hey, everyone on my feed, check out what an ass so and so is being and how much of a dumpster fire this thread is.

What could possibly go wrong?

not a stats guy, but shouldn’t this be 2 separate polls?

1. how do you feel about likes?

2. how do you feel about sharing to socials?

don’t need my wife seeing how much wine I buy, even though I did vote yes on the social network sharing.