Fires - Walbridge and Meyers - Sonoma County

This one is starting to take on a life if it’s own so it should have it’s own thread. Affected area is Austin Creek Recreation Area. We’re talking from Armstrong Woods State Park in Guerneville north to Skaggs Spring Rd West to Jenner and East to Dry Creek.

There is no acreage listed as it oddly does not show up on the CalFire incident list. A second fire, named 11-5 after the engine company who reported it, near Fort Ross/Seaview is also burning adding to the smoke.

Nixle just came through advising mandatory evacuation of all residents within the above mentioned zone.
East of Austin creek (the creek itself) South of Stewart’s Point/Skaggs Springs Rd. West of Westside Rd and North of Sweetwater Springs Rd.

A181B519-C06D-4B63-8E3B-93AF1FBE4E96.png
Zones 2E1, 2E2, 2E3 and 2E4 on the map. Click image to blow up.

D5B7ED91-CEC5-4300-BBA8-30A8F7E62EFB.jpeg
In wine talk we’re talking West and north of Rochioli, West of Dry Creek Valley from West Dry Creek Rd, East of Hirsch and South of Skaggs Springs.

Kinda close to home as I’m in Mirabel Park at the bottom of the map. But safe for now.

The smoke is black and thick and moving South. This evening we have a growing blanket of ash in West County (Forestville) and the sun just now sank below the smoke line and began the shine again.

Looking North from my place that is Mt Jackson just beyond the Oak and Madrones. That is the southern edge of the evacuation zone. Click image for blow up.
16579545-A674-499E-8738-9332AF14BD75.jpeg
More to come.

Aaand the evacuation zone grows yet again. Just as we were sitting down to eat dinner. Now my Wife is getting nauseous and is going to bed to lie down. We were sitting down to eat last year when the evacuation texts and phone calls started coming in. WTF with the timing here?
612354D2-AD94-4734-9886-790C282548CD.jpeg
Reference the map below.
EB6721BD-4752-4A02-91E9-9BD077D98DCB.jpeg

Dammit. Sorry to see this Brian. Please provide updates as you’re able.

Sones 1B3 and 1C2 are now under mandatory evacuation. That includes Hirsch.

E617F9EB-ED8D-4DEA-B8F1-D8CDFFABA71E.jpeg

If I see flames on Mt Jackson we’re gone. I’m not going to be able to sleep so I’ll be monitoring it throughout the night.

I’m sorry you are dealing with this. Stay safe.

Sucks. Unsettling as hell

Scary stuff, Brian. Hoping for the best for you guys.

Hoping that as few lives and livelihoods are affected as possible. Terrible stuff.

This is a lot different from the past fires. This was caused by lightning and there’s no wind issues involved. Fire has to come a long way to reach our place. The evacuations are in place because the areas are fairly remote and it’s mostly one way in and out so they’re better off evacuating now rather than if/when fire comes closer.

We can evac to the South or East In multiple routes so I think the current set of evacuations are precautionary. Doesn’t keep me without one eye open all night though.

New evac, West of Westside Rd from
Rochioli North to Healdsburg Ave exit off 101 West to the River.

Wow, Love that area and it holds a special place in my heart. Stay safe and hoping for the best for you and extended neighbors

Just left our Sonoma rental a day early since we were being rained on with ash from the Napa fires. Driving home we saw the smoke billowing up from this fire set against the orange sunset and it looked crazy. Then as we roll into the woodside redwood city area you could literally see one of the santa cruz mountains fires reflecting off the smokey clouds above it, it was this evil hellish red orange color in the sky. Never seen anything like it before.

Can we please fast forward to 2021 now?

Brian, like I said before, if you need a place.

Or one close to the beach :slight_smile:

I’m so sorry! Wine country seriously needs a break.

Wow. Sorry to hear. It’s that time of year. Stay safe!

Make sure the truckster is full of gas, buddy.
Don’t take chances.

Brian and all that are impacted - stay safe.

Hope it stays away from you (and everyone). This is a terrible annual tradition.