TN: 2019 Emrich-Schönleber „Frühtau“ - affordable high-quality Riesling

If you’re looking for an affordable high-quality Riesling, then I have something for you. Around 17€ in Germany.

2019 Emrich-Schönleber „Frühtau“

Yes, what an amazing Riesling this 2019 Frühtau is. So much finesse with spring meadow and herbs. It seems that 2019 is a FRÜHLINGSPLÄTZCHEN vintage chez Emrich-Schönleber. I have to mention it again, Frühlingsplätzchen is often underestimated or overlooked, as most people go for HALENBERG.
Anyway, I strongly recommend this Riesling. Cheers!

Bottom-line, as 2019 is such good and the GGs are a bit expensive combined with low quantity in the USA, keep your eyes open for the Ortswein by the top-producer.

577EAF87-51ED-4D5F-BA53-F64EA5782501.jpeg

Good stuff Martin, thanks. Just got offers here in US for the 2 GGs Frühlingsplätzchen and Halenberg. Of course said yes to both.

Good job, Adam. Acording to Stephan Reinhardt/WA both are terrifiic.

Thanks, Martin. How does the Halgans compare to the Frühtau? It seems like they are both similar wines in relation to their respective GGs and the Halgans is only 2-3 Euros more/bottle in Germany. From what I can find here in the States, I don’t see Frühtau imported, only Halgans, plus GGs and some of the Prädikat wines, though I may just be missing some listings. At any rate, Halgans is certainly more widely available.

THanks for the tip.

Are the Ortswein dry, like a GG.

I haven’t had 2019 „Halgans“ so far, but 2019 „Mineral“ which was good too. I suspect Halgans is certainly worth buying, as the vintage in general is such terrific. Whether or not a century vintage, I don‘t care.

YES

Today I looked for information regarding 2019 Halgans and the german winedealer Pinard de Picard
praised it for the power, texture and tension. In addition they think Halgans could be the best Riesling under 20€ of the vintage. Clearly HALENBERG style.

I have to say the guys at Pinard are good tasters and it’s not always wine merchants propaganda.

Bottom-line, BUY

2019 isn’t available in the US, but other vintages are $50

???

It is available according to K N Haque. Read above.

2019 isn’t available yet and only 4 offerings on the west coast per WSPro. My comment was directed more towards pricing and lack of availability. GG is $100 or so.

Tom,

then look for other Ortswein by other Top gernan estates. There are soo many and 2019 is a save bet.

In the coming days I will taste 2019 Schäfer-Fröhlich Vulkangestein and Schiefergestein. Stay tuned…

Oh, sorry, this is unclear and it is my fault. Halgans, as a wine is more available than Frühtau in the U.S., at least from what I can see online. I did not mean that with respect to a specific vintage, just the bottling. I apologize for the confusion.

Thanks for the notes Martin. Ordered a few from Lopa Wines… looking forward to trying these while the GG’s mature.

Where’s the crying emoji? [cry.gif] E17? Crazy. I had a 2010 of theirs, finally, at Lotus of Siam in Vegas last year. Phenomenal:

"2010 Emrich-Schonleber Halenberg Grosse Lage Ries

I was put in charge of list ordering and this, which Count Lipyanskiy had mentioned to me as a house, caught my eye immediately. Boy, am I glad he weighed in. The bouquet has more than its share of mystery, some steel weaving through light apple and ginger whisks. This wine makes it on the palate, where it is exquisite, sublime and profound all at the same time. It’s been difficult at times for me to connote Riesling with “the noble grape”, but that descriptor fits here. Silky and steely at the same time, with yellow and white fruit notes, it’s a revelation, and stays the course a day or two later. 93 and definitely in the WOTY conversation. I do love this more structured and linear vintage, both here and in Austria and Alsace"

2010 is a cool-climate vintage with huge aging potential. I always love the purity&high acidity element of it. The same with 2013 and 2017, highly recommended. But you have to love high acidity, I do. I am remembering at the arrival tasting of the fresh bottled 2010 GGs, some people had stomach problems due the high acidity.

I tend in that direction [grin.gif]. BTW, Kamaal, belated welcome to the board!

Schönleber’s distribution in the USA has become a fractured mess since the collapse of the Rudi Wiest company. So availability is spotty, and pricing is all over the map.

It’s a real shame. Emrich-Schonleber makes some of my favorite Rieslings in all of Germany, with quality at every level. I would love for more people to have easy access.

Lopa had two great offers of '19s. Don’t know if they have any left. I grabbed a mixed case of dry and sweet wines up and down the range.