My Favorite Neighbor @ Costco

Saw the 2017 today at Costco in Charlotte for $50. I looked up what I paid directly from the winery via the club $95 with shipping.

Regular Costco price is 69.95 but seeing it recently in multiple stores for 49.95

Well to me it’s like telling your wine club members Fuck Off. Which is what I’m doing.

I got an offer for $45 from a retailer recently.
Harvey and Harriet for $35
Oublie And Vertigo for $50
2017’s, they must have some wine to clear out.

bingo.

1 Like

The 2018 MFM is on the MFN website for $50. Is that the wine that was $95 for 2017?

You guys do realize that Constellation bought MFN right? MFN price was then reduced to $50 and Harvey to $30. It’s in no way an F you from them to their wine club members, it’s what happens sometimes when Gallo or Constellation get involved, and want to get increased distribution. If that wasn’t the case, sure I could see the argument, but you’re not presenting it with full context.

I didn’t know that, or even that it was spun off? Is Booker still privately owned? I was surprised when I got the email with the prices noted above, but I haven’t had a Booker in years. Are the Booker prices discounted or is this the new norm as well? I was much more interested previously at that level, but certainly not MFN now.

I’d imagine Constellation is there to help Booker facilitate MFN to be widely distributed hence its own separate brand, bottlings, website and 10,000+ case production.

I’m sure the Booker brand & label will continue to produce high end small lot production wines at the price points it has historically been at.

Still privately owned by Eric Jensen. The deal with Constellation was, among other things, to facilitate distribution on a larger scale. When I was with Eric last year down here in Miami, he mentioned it. Booker will remain as it is and is not part of the deal. No increased production there.

Booker wines are making their way into larger retailers like Total Wine, but the model of keeping the wines more boutique and less cases remains.

MFN prices were going to be dropped due to COVID actually, as Eric wanted the wines to be more affordable during this time, and then the Constellation deal went through. Booker wines are usually close in price to the mailing list price, even at Total Wine.

Everything you said is accurate.

I still don’t like the fact that I paid $80 for the same wine (2017 MFN) they are now selling for $50. I resigned from the list today. I got a nice response that I am invited back anytime.

I am still on the Booker list, but I am unsure of the long term.

Edit: in fairness I should add that they sold the 2018 MFN for $50 to the list.

I saw an Instagram ad that showed Eric Jensen talking about MFN and how he wanted to reduce the price due to the times (pandemic, maybe grape oversupply, etc…) and worked with the growers to be able to do that. Guess that’s Constellation’s explanation for the price decrease. But, it’s always tough to lower price for exactly the feeling you have.

talk about watering down a brand. i used to think having a ‘club’ was bad enough.