TN: Dueling Roederers: French Champagne & California Sparkling Wine

I have never tasted the Roederer Estate Alexander Valley Brut Sparkling Wine (“NV” although I think they prefer the term “multi-vintage” to “non-vintage”). It does get many positive mentions here. On the other hand, I have tasted and enjoyed the Louis Roederer Brut Premier NV Champagne several times. I had a half bottle of each on hand and thought it might be fun to do a comparative, non-blind, pre-dinner tasting of the two, sitting out back on this warmish August evening. We had some company.

Louis Roederer Brut Premier Champagne
We opened with this. The cork popped directly vertical about ten feet. The first taste for me was fruity, lemon domininant, minerally and leesy. The mouthfeel was on the medium full side. Bubbles were clearly present but I could not help but thinking what a nice wine this was regardless of it also being Champagne.

Roederer Estate Brut Sparkling Wine
Tough act to follow, but it was out of the gate fast as the cork energetically rose twenty or more feet vertical. The first impression for me was of energetic tingly bubbles. The flavors were more muted, I would say less fruit and more of a dry mineral. As the bubbles subsided some fruit appeared but not as well put together and balanced as its French cousin.

Verdict
Tough to compare. The age of the blends may be different. Different winemaking objectives, etc., but I had a clear preference for the Champagne. I enjoyed both and would not turn down a glass of the Roederer Estate, but in this session the Louis Roederer outclassed it IMHO. Our two guests enjoyed both wines and did not have a strong preference. My wife was unequivocal. One small sip into the Roederer Estate, she looked at me and said “The Champagne is better!”.

I just had my first Roederer Estate Brut NV a week ago and was disappointed, even for the price. I’d much rather have Schramsberg or many Cremants and some Cavas for the same or similar price.

I did this once. It’s not really close, is it? And in my view the NV Champagne doesn’t really get going even until Day 2.

There is a local strip mall liquor store that has the ‘14 base NV at $39.99. It’s like a reflex now to go in and grab a bottle.

Yeah Jordan, disappointing is probably the right word for my experience also. I thought I would be pleasantly surprised given the fan base, but at least this bottle on this day did not do that. You mentioned Cremant and I had one for the first time earlier this summer. I enjoyed it quite a lot and like you I would prefer it to the Roederer Estate.(Laboure-Gontard Cremant de Bourgogne, $15 at Total Wine)

You are correct, I was trying hard to give it a chance to show me something, but I think my wife nailed it with her quick assessment! Interesting to hear that the Brut Premier might improve on Day 2 and beyond. I like this bottling and it might be my favorite of several big house NV Brut that are around that same price point.

The CA sparkler to compare with its French cousin (probably closer in price) is Roederer L’Ermitage.

Mike, funny you say that! My son came over for breakfast this morning and over French Toast I was telling him about last night’s wine tasting duel. He made exactly the same point that you just did. Coincidentally, he brought over a bottle of the Roederer Estate L’Ermitage Brut for us a couple of weeks ago. So have an on-deck rematch with wines in the same “weight class”. Thanks and stay tuned.

champagne.gif Well we did learn that how high the cork pops does not correlate to quality. Fun tasting.

[rofl.gif]

1 Like

Not much else to add except agreeing that the l’Ermitage is the one to compare if you feel the need to do the comparison.

The regular Roederer Estate is too sweet for my taste these days, but I drank a ton of it back in the day. Heck of a gateway sparkler.

We’ve done this side by side at festive dinners before too, and generally our family - without any preconceptions of what they should like - prefers the CA version. My wife does like the Champers better, as it may be a touch dryer than the CA one.