TN: 2009 Selbach-Oster Graacher Domprobst Riesling Spätlese

• 2009 Selbach-Oster Graacher Domprobst Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (8/24/2020)
    Three years ago I had a bottle of this that was a proper foil for some super spicy Thai. Tonight’s Thai dinner was not nearly so spicy, and the wine rolled over the food with a cement truck. I remember this wine being big, but this is massive. It’s Auslese*** massive. Eleven years after the vintage, and the fruit is still fresh, the acidity present, but buried under waves of richness, and the site expression is a mere echo, emerging mostly on the finish. This wine needs 15-20 more years to become what it can be.

Posted from CellarTracker

As great as I’m sure it was showing now, considering it is a Spat, I could opine that it may be just slight hyperbole to announce it will drink like an Aus*** in 15-20 years. But excited to read your TN in 2035 about it! [cheers.gif]

I was shocked at how huge it was - not remotely a spätlese in any sense of the word. Nearly three hours since I opened it, and it’s showing even bigger. If I am still around in 2035 (I sure hope so) I will post a note…somewhere.

This wine is huge. If Manfred Krankl made Mosel Riesling, this would be right up his alley. Rather shocking for a Selbach-Oster wine.

If there is someone on the board who I trust with Riesling, It’s David.

I absolutely trust his experience and dedication to the grape! And his eloquence and magniloquence always shines with his TNs. But as a Selbach-Oster homer, I’m not sure we can completely trust his unbiased reviews. [highfive.gif]

Do you know what the residual sugar is in this wine?

No. I don’t have the specs. Let’s just say it’s high for the pradikat.

Proud member of the Selbach-Oster fan club, though I am historically known more as a Donnhoff homer.

I think he was stating it as a factual matter, not as a value judgment that an Auslese*** is necessarily any better, in principle, than a Spatlese.

Not to mention that * designations are in no way regulated, and so *, ** or *** (or even more…) is just a shorthand of saying the wine is really rich.

[thumbs-up.gif] I just picked up some 2018/2019 Hermannshohle GG and GK. Had a 2013 Spat once, but looking forward to these in a few years.