Impromptu Guy’s Night w/04 VCC, 04 Leoville Barton, 2016 Dalla Valle, et al

Impromptu guy’s night at a local tavern with 20 ounce, bone-in ribeyes. Berserker MarcF joined in. We keep him around even though he can’t hang with us on the bike, try as he might with his little legs pumping. :wink:

Started with a very bright and briary 2017 Patricia Green Reserve Pinot. Light enough to actually work with raw oysters and a Mignonette sauce, dark enough to have interest. Quickly moved into a 2004 Vieux Chateau Certan that is really starting to shine with its rich wet earth, truffles and dark fruit notes. Impeccable balance on this one. MarcF then popped a 2004 Leoville Barton that was a classically-structure bowl of big Cabernet cassis and black cherries, with a lead pencil nose, and really rounding out and opening up at this stage. Segued to a 2003 Les Esprit de Pavot, Peter Michael that was wide open for business just a bit simple, and a 2016 Dalla Valle Cabernet Sauvignon that amplified things about 2x. Over-scaled for my palate, but hard to say this is not a well made wine with great fruit (rich but well-delineated with intensity). It actually paired well with the seared, fatty ribeye. Would love to go back in time and grab some Dalla Valles from 91-94 - which I loved way back then - to see how they show now. Ended with a 2016 Moon Tsai Napa Cab, that unfortunately I really did not get to assess as it was poured with some desserts. Never had this wine before.

The Leoville Barton was my WOTN.

8F31C483-C423-476E-8E8F-DCAAF484743E.jpeg
CF9B96B9-EC3D-4810-8EE8-591AACD02EE2.jpeg

Thanks for the 2004 LB update. I will stand up a 375 for Labor Day weekend burgers!

Anyone have the 04 Palmer lately?

• 2004 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (6/10/2020)
    Third Zoom tasting – Blind Bordeaux (Mi Casa): Expressive nose displaying opulent blue and red fruit crème de cassis, a hint of plum, lactic, caramel, lead pencil, cedar and earth. Excellent concentration, nicely layered opulent ripe red and blue fruit, rich yet nicely balanced, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a long sweet red fruit driven finish with cedar and caramel at the end. Not the most complex Bordeaux but classic and drinking beautifully. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for TNs.

Patiently holding on to a few 2004 VCC and Barton (and the aforementioned Palmer) at the remote storage.

Nice. Front and center in the picture, too!

1 Like

Haha, yes! Our local retailer, B-21, carries a range of your wines. Most of us in the group buy from B-21 so the Pinots are always in the mix. This Reserve is an excellent QPR.

Thanks for this … I actually brought the ‘16 Dalla Valle with me on our beach trip this week and have been debating whether it’s going to be ready to drink.

2004 Leoville Barton is a very underrated wine still available for well under $100 in a lot of places. Well stored bottles can be really great – not just good – examples of a classic left bank style. I have had some tired bottles as well though. Robert, how long do you think it will continue to go for? Can it stay at peak another 5-10 years?

2004 in general seems like an under rated vintage to me. Good examples really have a lot of charm and a great light-bodied texture, without being underfruited. Very pretty. Lighter vintages tend to be underrated and this is a good example.

I’m on the same page, Marcus. I googled it, too, last night and saw offerings for $100. Very fair, and I have no doubt that wine easily has another 10+ years at optimal drinking. Felt that way about the VCC and a 2004. Ducru B that I had last year. I think the 2004 Montrose with its structure goes longer. PS. 2004 Conseillante and 2004 Canon are drinking great right now as well. PPS. I did not like the 2004 Pontet Canet.

1 Like

Don’t you guys age your Bordeaux? We haven’t even started on our 1996! Only half in jest… Be safe hacere

Not all of us are Island Aristocracy, Carlos!

Unfortunately, I usually bypass the PGC Reserve for the SVD’s and Soil Designate wines. At some point in the past, I recall purchasing a case of the 2012 or 2013 Reserve and Jim offered a Berserker Day deal on a Reserve vertical (2007, 2008, ?) a few years ago, so I should have a couple of other Reserve bottles. I’ll try to open one over the weekend and report back to the Oregon thread. Thanks for the note.

I have been drinking some of these; the '94 was a real beauty–gorgeous wine and nicely balanced. The '91 I found heavier, a little lumbering, needed a lot of air, more than I was able to give it. The '92 is still to come.

On VCC, any recent experience w/the '06? Still too young?

Nice line-up and the PG Reserves are always solid.

What a night with the boys…

Jeeezus…these guys goaded me into ordering some gargantuan slab of sauropod meat…Good lord Alfert, was this thing the rump of some beast from the Jur’ass’ic Period? This marvel of marbled meat had every Vegan within a 25 mile radius wallowing for their Watercress. This thing had enough growth hormone to make Phil Spector and Robert Blake burn all their lifts. This is serious meat and after one bite, you fall under the spell of its grizzled goodness. Increds…

This was my first visit to the Osprey. Quite a posh establishment, which sits on the Main Street, well within the confines of affluent Baldwin Park. I added a link for it: https://www.theospreyorlando.com/

We started w/ the ‘17 Patricia Green Pinot reserve brought by our physician buddy. I like the nose here, some of that Burgundian funk. On the palate it is a bit simple, has some crunchy tartness and cool red fruits. It worked fine here with the oysters

Then to the ‘04 VCC. This is actually my first VCC and it did not disappoint. I just loved the savory herbaceous leaf notes along with the crisp red fruits. Not super complex, but has a lovely balance and no traces of global warming or over-oak influence. A wonderful classically styled claret.

Next was the the ‘04 Leoville Barton. This is just another level up here. Fans of classic old school Bordeaux can look no further. The Leoville was offering up all the charms that ‘true’ Bordeaux fans long for. Almost a paulliac type feel here but just not as masculine. This is a mid-weight claret with heavy-weight class. On first sip the wine builds in the mouth, tobacco leaf, sage, wet earth, mineral and hints of smokiness. This is at peak, so do not hesitate to pop one now. I am kicking myself for not buying more.

Interesting note about the Leoville Barton label for those newer to Bordeaux. That is not the Leoville Barton chateau on the label. Leoville Barton wines are made at Langoa Barton, so that is the Langoa chateau portrayed on the label.

Ok, so here are some very extensive detailed notes on the remaining Napa wines…it took me some time to put these together so I hope you guys can appreciate it…

2003 Les Pavot second label: Absolute plonk

2016 Dalle Valle: meh, bit oaky, nothing memorable

‘16 Moon Tsai: somewhat drinkable, best of the 3

And there u have it boys…until next wine

Sounds like a great evening had by the Tour de Florida gang - sadly I’ve never tried VCC 04 and I haven’t got any…yet…but I’m a great fan of Léoville-Barton 2004, even though I find it slightly different to the usual LB - mine have had a creamy, almost margalais touch.

Moone Tsai and Dalle Valle are same winemaker btw, Melka

Melka makes these and probably half of Napa valley…no wonder they all taste so similar