TN: Fortuneate Son...

Last night we had the 2012 A. et P. de Villaine Bourgogne, Côte Chalonnaise, La Fortune. Bright clear red color, with no bricking. Pure, pretty nose of cherry, a spicy, clove/anise note, lots of earth, gravel and light floral accents. Fruity spiced cherry on the palate, with a gravelly, earthy, lightly tannic finish. Fruitier and more structured than the 2010 tried recently, this should be best in 3-5 more years. Absolutely delicious with duck breast with a currant/mustard sauce and sweet potatoes with blue cheese. Approx…90-92
IMG_0617.jpg

Reds and whites are both awesome, but long gone are the days of $20 whites and $25 reds. Still great value to be fair.

Thanks for the note, sounds very nice. I have the 2016 lined up to be opened soon.

Yep, I used to sell them when I was in distribution. This was $26 wholesale when I bought it in 2014, although as a smaller distributor in OR, we didn’t have the lowest prices in the country. I wish I could still get them at that price, although you can occasionally find bargains at auction.

I am afforded first right of refusal on the limited quantity we get in our market. I never refuse, but try to leave some for others to discover as well. Had the 2016 this week and it is very pinot.

Cheers,
fred

1 Like

”Very pinot”? I don’t want to read too much into it but somehow reading this decreases my excitement for this wine quite a lot.

In my vocabulary, this means that it exhibits varietal typicity. Why would that decrease your excitement for the wine? Are you reading it as some sort of “all the dials are turned to 11” statement? It is not that; quite the opposite.

Cheers,
fred

I think in the back of my mind when I saw that line I thought: “Very Pinot? I don’t want my Burgundy to taste like Pinot Noir with no geographical stamp, I want it to taste like Burgundy.” Please don’t take this the wrong way, I just commented based on my immediate reaction but I can easily understand that you really meant it as a positive description.

This combination sounds terrific. Thank you for sharing.