Birth Year Wine 1980

Hi All,

I’m looking for a 1980 birth year wine. I’ve heard that Napa and Rhône are the better options that year. How/where would I begin to find where to purchase? Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

State your budget for a 750ml bottle or how much total you want to spend and the suggestions will start pouring in.

If you’re open to Port, Dow is quite good. Maybe others too.

Thanks Alex! I’d say up to $350. If absolutely amazing, I could go a little higher.

My spouse is a 1980 vintage. I suggest Yquem :slight_smile:

You rang? 1980 here as well and I’ve drank/stocked up on quite a few. Highlights for me have been CA based - cabs, Petite Sirah, some zins, and a killer Heitz chardonnay. Good news is that with it being a ‘lesser’ vintage, you can snag most for reasonable prices (if/when you find them). Standouts include

-Heitz Chardonnay (unbelievably color and still fresh. Still have 1 left along with a Montelena that I’m excited about
-Nevada City Winery Zinfandel (unheard of winery but it was incredible)
-Ridge Geyserville
-Ridge Zin Howell Mountain
-BV Georges de Latour (killer out of magnum but great out of standard bottles as well)
-Niebaum-Coppola Rubicon from magnum
-Carneros Creek Cabernet
-Wente Vineyards Petite Sirah Library, Livermore Valley
-Inglenook Petite Sirah

Wines I’m looking forward to:
-Ridge Petite Sirah York Creek, Devil’s Hill
-Spring Mountain Cab (magnum)
-Mouton Rothschild
-Heitz Bella Oaks
-Villa Mt. Eden Reserve Cab
-Silver Oak Alexander Valley
-Buena Vista Pinot Noir
-Chateau Climens
-Chateau Rieussec
-Dom Perignon
-Moet Brut Imperial
-Vueve Clicquot Ponsardin
-Beringer Port
-Beringer Nightingale

Looking forward to hearing what you end up trying!

+1. Also, the '80 Climens is lovely at a fraction of the price. You could get a bottle of classic napa cab (1980 Heitz Martha’s or Ridge MB maybe) AND the climens? [cheers.gif]

It’s a very good red Burgundy vintage! A friend and I share a birthday, but he was born in 1980, so in a few days we are celebrating together around the 1980 theme. I’m also working on a 40 years on retrospective of the vintage in Burgundy as it happens. Of course, not easy to find, nor inexpensive sadly…

Drank a bottle of Roagna Barbaresco 1980 last night and it was drinking beautifully right now

Yes again on burgundy. The few I’ve had have all been winners. Voillot Champans was sensational I had a few years back.

Where would I go about finding some of these? I’m usually buying wines from the vineyards or in the store?

Winebid has a number of 1980 CA Cabs (and other 1980 wines) this week. Some of the valuations seem strong compared to historical prices while others don’t seem too bad.

Since you are in TX, you’re somewhat limited as to possible sources due to state laws prohibiting out-of-state retailers from shipping into TX.

1 Like

Fabulous wine

Interesting. I enjoyed a great many 1980 Burgs, a very enjoyable and underrated vintage, but have not had one in a long time. I would not have expected them to have lived this long. Neat that they are doing so well.

My wife was born in 80 as well. 1980 Lopez de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Tondonia was one of the better 80’s we’ve tried. It helps that it’s one of her favorite producers as well.

Yep, totally agree that the prices are high this week vs. What you normally find, particularly on the cabs.

I’d hone in on the bottles you want and just use wine-searcher pro to find them (believe you can filter by retailers that ship to your area)

Nice! That is one that I have not tried/found yet, but definitley hope to at some point!

Thanks y’all! I joined this site because it looked like y’all were helpful. Y’all are wonderful.

Definitely doing a little more research and joined wine-searcher. Found a local small wine shop, going to try them before I order anything.

Now… the next question will be a 1982 vintage!! :joy:

1982 is all about Bordeaux in my limited experience.

I’ve been searching for ‘80’s for a years. Gotten much more expensive the last few months. Bunch of people turning 40 this year, have time to hunt for them and they aren’t taking celebratory trips is my take.