A pair of pinots Belle Pente Murto and Soliste

Brought 2 of our favorites to our local restaurant we’re comfortable dining at. Their food is usually a great match for pinot and these really were wonderful on their own and with food. Soliste is not as known on the board as other Sonoma pinots but has some big fans for those who’ve had their wines. They’ve offered incredible offers this year as much of their inventory normally shows up in restaurants across the country.

Belle Pente is a perenial Oregon favorite for us and I love the Murto especially after 5 or 6 years from release. Happy to have more of both of these in the cellar

2012 Belle Pente Pinot Noir Murto Vineyard (USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills)
8/29/2020 : Double decant at home then brought to dinner about an hour later. This is just entering its drinking window. Ruby red in color with a very expressive nose that reflects plenty of energy and verve. Bright red berry fruit jumps from the glass with slight cola and baking spice. It has layers of flavor and continued to peak throughout the evening. Some fine tannins show up on a slightly firm and wonderful finish. I think this could still develop and pick up a point or 2. Try now with one hour decant or hold till 2022. Murto is such a great wine and tremendous value. 93 points

2013 Soliste Cellars Pinot Noir Nouveau Monde
8/29/2020 : This was pnp at a local restaurant and consumed over an hour or so. It shows a beautiful dark ruby color with an expressive nose of dark fruit and sous bois. It has deep serious flavors of dark red berry along w slight sous bois and tea notes. A silky slightly rich mouth feel adds a layer of complexity and wow factor. It really opened up over time and is in a nice window. Decant for an hour or so if you drink now but this could still use a year or 2. Soliste is our favorite Sonoma producer blending new world flavor with a nod to old world winemaking and style. This was a perfect match with Salmon and also great on it’s own. 94 points

Cheers

Great note Fred. Belle Pente Murto was my entry into Oregon Pinot many years ago. To this day one of my favourite wines.

Thanks Jason. I’m surprised we don’t get more notes on BP here. Wonderful wines that really reward time in the cellar. If you ever get a chance to try Soliste I highly recommend. You might find them on a list in London once we get back to more normal times.

Thanks for the recommendation on Soliste, Fred! I’ll keep an eye out. We are starting to see more Oregon wines here. Goodfellow, Patricia Green, Brickhouse, Arterberry Maresh to name a few, but I’ve seen others. No Soliste or Belle Pente yet though.