TN: 1996 Château Montrose (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe)

• 1996 Château Montrose - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe (8/28/2020)
    Decanted for 45 minutes and followed for 3 hours. Opaque garnet with scarlet edges. Nose of savory green elements mixed with fecund soil, lifted floral notes, cassis, pencil lead, and currant. Seemingly settled layers of black currant, fine green leaf, and black plum on the palate nonetheless deepening with grip and lithe, earthen gravity. Lively acidity and softened tannin leading to a long finish of currant, soil, wild green, a bit of sauvage, and tobacco. Vital complexity within a civilized frame. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks. Data point is most helpful.

I had it a couple of months ago. Notes are dead on, and I scored it a couple of points higher.

Ramon and Mark,

This is indeed a great bottle. It continued to improve as the evening progressed, so I think it would have shown even better with a longer decant. Several recent TNs on CT mentioned 2-5 hours.

Cheers,
Doug

Best 96 Bordeaux I’ve tasted so far.

Carlos,

It’s certainly up there. May be time to consider some horizontals in the name of science.

Cheers,
Doug

I’m kind of surprised that a 96 Montrose was so open. Glad it performed!

Neal,

Really enjoyable showing for us. Better to be lucky than good! Makes me think that trying the 96 LLC might not be completely crazy.

Cheers,
Doug

Thanks, Doug,
I also own a couple, so very helpful and nice to know they are already showing so well, though it sounds like a little more cellar time could be in order.

Joshua,

Coincidentally, I have a 750 ml and a 375 ml remaining, which will sleep for a while. I’m learning that if sampled now, a healthy decant will likely help.

Cheers,
Doug

I can think of very few top Montrose vintages to which this wouldn’t apply!

Wish I owned a case of this particular 1996…

William,

Enjoying the arc of the wine over 12 bottles would indeed be a beautiful thing.

Cheers,
Doug