TN: Champagne Côte des Blancs Study

Last weekend fellow wine nerd friends invited us to stay with them. While the kids ran around, we enjoyed a lineup of almost exclusively Côte des Blancs Champagnes over the course of several days (full disclosure: my favorite Champagnes are low-dosage BdB).

Krug Clos du Mesnil 1988: Golden color. Bottle in good condition - bubbles are still there. Orange peel dominated bouquet with chalk and grapefruit. Trademark Krug toast. Still crazy acidic. Honey sweetness. Layer after layer of subtle complexity and has extreme length. I understand why this is such a legend - well deserved. I can’t imagine this could get any better. WOTY candidate.

Salon 1988: Darker gold color, signs of oxidation. Sweet dried fruits on nose. Rich honey on the palette, which is still long. Could very well be the bottle, but it is past it’s prime, and not in the same ballpark as the Krug CdM. Still enjoyable for those who like mature Champagne.

Pierre Péters Les Chétillons 2012 en magnum: Rich nose of white flowers and citrus. On the palette, citrus but also a bit of nuts, apples, and a chalky minerality with robust acid. Overall, very generous. I know these wines get better with age, but this is very approachable now and already performing at a high level… it is going to be a challenge to not open too many when young. Dosage ~4g/L, from three different plots within the vineyard aged 40-70 years.
***()

Pierre Péters Les Chétillons 2013: Very different from the 2012, as the nose is much sweeter, the acid is even greater, and the flavors are more saline and sour apple. It opens more after an hour, but overall this is a more astringent wine than the '12, with an acid backbone that should allow for very, very long aging. Unlike the 2012, I am not tempted to open these near-term, but can’t wait to see what they mature into in the next 10-20 years. Dosage ~4g/L.
*()

Robert Moncuit Les Chétillons 2012: The second time this wine has been produced (after 2008), and the trademark citrus and chalky minerality of the vineyard are on display. The difference vs. Péters is in the nose: much more ginger and grassy notes here, and salinity is a bit higher. Medium-plus length. A bit tighter than the 2012 Péters, though still very pleasant. Can and should improve with time. zero dosage, from a 2ha parcel planted in 1956.
**()

Pierre Péters “Heritage” MV: This is a one-off project to celebrate the centenary of the estate, which is 60% reserve wines going back to 1921, and 40% Chétillons 2010, and is my first time opening one. Given the age of the reserve wines, I had expected a very mature taste, but this is amazingly fresh but at the same time highly complex. The bouquet here is really fun, as it is strong and changes significantly over the course of a few hours, starting with baked cake, vanilla, dried citrus, then eventually honeysuckle and toast. It has chalky citrus notes, and has the best of both world of fresh and mature Champagnes, with long length. Prominent acid means this can probably further improve with time, but this is exceptional today.

Suenen “Les Robarts” Cramant Grand Cru 2012 and 2013: I’m a little surprised Suenen doesn’t get much play on these boards given he makes terroir wines of high quality (and seems to be improving with each vintage). These both have nose of citrus, especially lemons, and pears. Rich with chalky salinity and medium+ acidity. Similar to the Chétillons 2012 vs. 13, the '12 here is more approachable and generous today, with the '13 being more austere. Both are several years from peak, but it was fun to check in on them. 1g/L
'12: **()
'13: ()

Bérêche Montagne Millésime 2002: the non-Côte des Blancs that snuck into the lineup. Pear-dominant nose, then honeydew and apricot, and has some tropical notes like mango. A bit sour at start but opens nicely over 30 mins. Medium length and still good acidity, but I’d argue at or maybe past peak at this point. Btl no. 980/1181.

CDM.JPG
Pp.JPG
Lineup.JPG

Evan,
That’s an epic tasting, and I really enjoyed the notes and photos. You’ve only been posting here about a month, so welcome and thank you!
The only wines posted which I currently own are the Pierre Peters Chetillons. I opened an '08 last week that was stunning, although just now entering a good drinking window. I’ll wait quite some time on my '12s and '13s.
Your rating system is one to six stars?
Cheers,
Warren

Wine searcher shows the Peters Heritage with an average price of $1200. I guess it’s like they say: if you have to ask, you can’t afford it.

Thank you. I love the Chetillons and the ‘08 in my mind is the best recent vintage. I agree with you on approaching/entering drinking window - it’s hard to avoid opening.

I know there are many on this board whose depth of knowledge greatly exceed mine and whose opinion I value (and everyone else should far more than mine - thinking of Brad and William in the case of Champagne), but do rate for myself and figured some people might be interested. I use 1 to 5 stars for simplicity, and once every few years something rises above that scale like the ‘88 CdM did, hence the rare six.

super notes and wow wines.

Thanks for the notes!

That is one fun and pretty awesome tasting. 88 Krug Clos du Mesnil is one of the all-time-greats. Give it seven stars!

For what has been released so far or tasted as a still wine, Robert Moncuit’s Chetillons has never moved me in the same way that Peters’ has and doesn’t seem to have the same potential for development. I feel that the lack of dosage is part of this, but it could also be due to winemaking choices or where his plots are in Chetillons (which is a very large vineyard); I really am not sure. For me, the price of Moncuit’s bottle is based on the Chetillons name, but the wine doesn’t live up to the cost of admission.

2012 should be interesting in the Cote des Blancs. Quantities were small for a lot of producers and the wines were quite forward and lacking some precision as still wines. For these reasons, some folks skipped this vintage or at least pared back what they made especially when 2013 showed so much more promise. 2013 is definitely a more classical vintage for the Cote des Blancs and, overall, I feel is better for Chardonnay in this region, but 2012 is surprising quite a few producers. It has turned out better than expected and quite ‘yummy’ in its youth. Not a classical rendition, but still a very worthy and expressive one. I look forward to how they will age; my bet is they will continue to surprise.

I was wondering about the difference in dosage between the two Chetillons, and how it would affect the presentation(and comparison) of the wines. Thanks for the perspective.

Evan-What a great tasting. Thanks for the notes!

So, Brad, let me see if I understand. In many cases you prefer the more generous and welcoming 2009s over the more structured and classical 2008s. But you prefer the more structured and classical 2013s over the more generous and welcoming 2012s. Do I have this right?

Evan, I give you an A+ on your “Study”. You presented these extraordinary wines without pretension which was cool. Also love the way you saved and posed the empties for a memory shot. Something that I would do too. Thanks for posting. Cheers.

Michael,

I don’t think I have ever said either of those things and in general have stated the opposite.

As a whole, I prefer the 2008 vintage to the 2009 vintage, but there are some 2009 wines that I prefer slightly to their 2008 counterpart. In general, most 2009s also show better today than their 2008 counterparts which will need time to show their true colors. 2009 has also turned out to be a vintage that is developing better than almost anyone expected and is a slightly more uniform in quality than 2008. The Pinot based wines from 2008 are the stars of the vintage and where the year really shows its class when compared to 2009.

2012 is a superior vintage to 2103 in all ways except one - Cote des Blancs Chardonnay. I think there is better balance, structure, and potential in most 2013 Chardonnays from the Cote des Blancs, but there will be some cases where a producers’ 2012 BdB may be better than their 2013. Most 2012 Cote des Blancs Chardonnays are showing quite well right now while their 2013 counterparts will need more time. In general, 2012 is another year where the Pinots were the star.

THe '88 Krug CdM is the greatest Champagne I have ever tasted. Jealous of that one…

Thanks for the clarification. It must be your preference for the 2009 Cristal over the 2008 that is sticking in my mind. Trying to keep up with what vintages excell with Pinot Noir and which with Chardonnay can be tricky.

Michael,

Just like any large region that grows multiple types of grapes, you are going to have vintage variations that turn the stereotypical or generalized view on its head. It is rare to have a year where all grape varieties do very, very well everywhere. 1988 comes to mind and so does 2019. There are always wines that over and under perform in a vintage as well. I think we will have a lot of fun over the years trying 2008s, 2009s, and 2012s (maybe even some 2013s) side-by-side.