Marcassin, not so rare?

Just got an offer from Morrel in NYC for 2013 Marcassin “in case quantities” at $195.00 per. Sign of times to come? One of the original culty Pinot/ Chardonnay producers suddenly has lots of wine to unload retail… interesting

Interesting. Haven’t seen quantity or price like that retail

That was not a great California vintage.

Sarcasm? 13s were great for Cali Pinot and Chard.

$200 is about the going rate for the pinot. The chardonnay is much more expensive.

And as Victor pointed out, the 2013 pinot got an initial rating of 90 from Parker, which he raised the next year to a 94. Jeb also gave it a 94. It’s hard to sustain a “culty” price with that score. The 2013 chardonnay, on the other hand, got an RP 100.

Most, if not all of the Marcassin allocations have gone to NYC restaurants that are not open right now other than sidewalk service, and I’m sure they aren’t loading up on pricey Pinot for their small lists…

do nyc retailers/restaurants buying the wine have to send a check to a calistoga po box via pony express (or carrier pigeon)?

Agree but wouldn’t that affect 2017 pricing not 2013?

Unless it’s a restaurant unloading cases They own then I understand

2013 is the current release. It has not been offered to the mailing list yet but has been available at retail for some time. This is Marcassin’s standard practice and there’s more detail in the later posts in this thread Marcassin

Thanks Scott. Didn’t realize they released so late.

This, and the wholesalers aren’t allowed to cherry pick their quantities if they want to maintain their relationships, so to get the Chardonnay they have to take x cases of the pinot. In most years that wouldn’t be a big issue, but with the current restaurant situation and the press disparity between the two, there is a definitive backlog on the Pinot. Might not be done dropping yet, will see in the next few months going into the holidays.

Skurnik is the distributor of record in NY. I’m fairly confident the facts line up as discussed. Almost zero restaurants can afford to take these wines right now. Morrell is a sensible place to go to with this kind of wine, I’d guess they were offered a decent quantity just so Skurnik can clear it out.