Glantenay, Glantenay, and Glantenay?

I’ve seen and drunk bottles of Volnay labeled: Domaine Glantenay, Georges Glantenay, and Benard and Thierry Glantenay. Are these all different producers and if so, what is their relationship, if any? Thanks.

They’re all the same producer. The new paradigm in Volnay is to put random names in front of the family name on various bottlings. That’s why there appear to be so many Rossignols.

Burgundy is so incestuous…

I am pretty sure that Georges Glantenay, and Bernard and Thierry Glantenay are two separate domaines. Someone who visits both would need to provide details though.

Bringing back up hopefully for clarification.

Like Bouzereau in Meursault

http://www.weygandtmetzler.com/bernard-thierry-glantenay

https://www.domaineglantenay.com/

ill just share that i had a killer 2010 santenots a year back from bernard and thierry and would buy more at the right price.

1 Like

I believe they are cousins. I buy Bernard consistently, and yes the 2010 Santenots is killer. Clos des Chenes also.

1 Like

Mark, 2010 is one of the greatest vintages I have tasted. So, it only tells me a limited amount about a producer that he made an excellent wine in that vintage. Have you tasted other vintages from him.

Yes, the 2012s which was almost as good. The 2010 balance was almost perfect, while the 2012s were a little more ponderous. Same amazing minerality. I tasted the two side by side, and my scores were around 2 to 3 points apart.

I did load up on 2010 Santenots and Chene which I found for relatively low prices in England (in the $65 range) which by Burgundy is a steal.

Indeed - let me complicate that for you.

Domaine Georges Glantenay used to be called Domaine Pierre Glantenay - there have been more than 1 Pierre at the helm - but now the latest generation are running it, they decided to call it ‘Georges’!

Thierry Glantenay runs the other domain - Bernard and Thierry Glantenay - Thierry was also head of the local (Volnay) growers group for a while too…

1 Like

I will say that I found 2012s a bit more ponderous when I first tasted them (for example when I visited Burgundy in 2013 they were not nearly as good as the barrel samples of 2010s in 2011 - same when I tasted each a year later at the Paulee grand tastings). But, over the last year or so I have become much more fond of 2012s. I am very interested in seeing what becomes of them.

Bernard and Thierry Glantenay makes great wines. Try Pommard les Saucilles… a gem!

1 Like

This is what I was looking for, much thanks.